Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

NBA 2009-10 Regular Season Discussion Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 of 55 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,086 posts

Posted June 14 2010 - 01:52 AM

I'm now only rooting for the Celtics because if they can't close it out in Game 6, we probably will never see the final 2 episodes of Better Off Ted aired by ABC in the Game 7 timeslot, and would have to wait until they show up on a DVD/BD set.  Haha.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#42 of 55 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted June 14 2010 - 02:33 AM

^^^ Hey, that's as good a reason as any to root for the Green. ;)

#43 of 55 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted June 16 2010 - 01:33 AM

What an impressive win by the Lakers last night.  They were firing on all cylinders.  Each time the team that has had the rebounding edge has won the game.  I don't see how game seven will be any different.  I hope Perk can play, but it's not looking good by all accounts. The two teams have played a game seven four times in their storied history.  I only remember two of them (1969 and 1984).  Three of the four were in Boston.  This one could be a great game.  If game seven is close, I see an exciting, electrifying ending that will be remembered for quite some time.  Kobe?  Pierce?  Allen?  Artest? Go Celtics!

#44 of 55 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,605 posts

Posted June 17 2010 - 06:24 PM

Congrats to the Lakers on their 16th championship, and Phil Jackson's 11th.

#45 of 55 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted June 18 2010 - 03:16 AM

Congratulations to the Los Angeles Lakers fans on this Board, and to the Los Angeles Lakers on their 11th Championship. ;) The Lakers played very well, and deserve the title. :)

#46 of 55 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,213 posts

Posted July 08 2010 - 04:00 AM

Any guesses where LeBron will go? I think he'll stay in Cleveland.

TV Episodes Watched - 2015 - March
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read) / 2014 (1 read)

#47 of 55 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted July 08 2010 - 04:15 AM

I think he will remain in Cleveland as well.  But wouldn't it be interesting if he went to the Heat?

#48 of 55 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted July 08 2010 - 06:27 AM

I'm putting Cleveland at the bottom of the list.  I'll go with, based on information as of today, Chicago Heat Knicks Cleveland Based on common sense and logic, I'd go to Chicago.  But that means I'll be wrong.  That team would be insane with him, especially with Boozer.  They already have a great team AND money to pay lebron.  The heat will have three people making $16m and then 9 league minimums.  That doesn't win anything.

#49 of 55 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,910 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 08 2010 - 07:44 AM

I just want the media feeding frenzy to be over. This has been worse than the annual "is Brett Favre going to retire?" circus.

#50 of 55 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted July 09 2010 - 02:42 AM

Well, I am surprised by this move of LeBron.  But I am even more surprised at the reaction of some of the Cleveland fans, and especially at the letter written by the owner of the Cavaliers.  Wow.  I never saw that coming, even when I was speculating that James might move on.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5365793

I'm guessing that Tom Izzo is quite pleased with the decision he made recently.  I wonder too about Byron Scott in this (now very different) scenario.  I thought he (Scott) would bring a lot more energy to the Cavaliers team.  I think his job just got a lot more difficult.  But I suppose one could look at this a few ways.  Maybe a fresh start is what the Cavaliers need.

#51 of 55 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,213 posts

Posted July 09 2010 - 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Ockeghem 

Well, I am surprised by this move of LeBron.  But I am even more surprised at the reaction of some of the Cleveland fans, and especially at the letter written by the owner of the Cavaliers.  Wow.  I never saw that coming, even when I was speculating that James might move on.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5365793

Yeah, the owner reacting the way he did, was surprising.

It's was really annoying that James did all that, going on national to announce his decision. Just sign with a team and be done with it. Makes me wish the Heat will never win one, as long as he is there.

TV Episodes Watched - 2015 - March
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read) / 2014 (1 read)

#52 of 55 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,910 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 09 2010 - 03:14 AM

I sympathize with Cleveland's owner. James strung him and the city of Cleveland along when he had no intention of coming back just so he could have his ego stroked in the media. As for Izzo, I thought he would be a fool to take the Cavs job unless he had an iron-clad guarantee that James was returning. As it turns out, Izzo is no fool. I heard this morning on the radio that ESPN claims they knew what James decision would be for two weeks. If that is the case, then they have lost what little shred of journalistic integrity they had left. ESPN has been reporting "rumors" of possible landing points for LeBron all along, knowing they were not true -- just to drum up viewership for SportsCenter and the one hour "LeBron Ego Show". I think James, ESPN and the NBA all look very foolish this morning. BTW, I completely forgot about James announcing his decision last night until I turned on the news this morning. I guess ESPN's media blitz didn't work too well on me.

#53 of 55 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,086 posts

Posted July 09 2010 - 04:05 AM

I'm just glad I didn't have a dog in that hunt. I don't really sympathize with anyone in this "drama".  Ownership can be just as callous in their handling of non-desirable players, cutting them, or shipping them off to another team without remorse.  Cleveland Cavaliers ownership just got a taste of their own medicine by hanging their hopes on his return. Everyone needs to do what in their own best interest.  It's just business.  Was it bad for Cleveland that LBJ strung them along?  Only if you feel that LBJ should only act in Cleveland's best interest and not his own best interest.  Was it bad for LBJ to keep the Cavs around as a last option in case no other deals were working for him?  Only if you're the Cavs and your hopes got dashed.  What if all the other deals went bad, and LBJ decided to stay in Cleveland?  Being an option was better than not even getting into the arena.  Sure, I get that no one wants to get "played", but if you didn't think it was worth the heartache, you would have moved on and signed someone else, unfortunately LBJ was in the driver's seat, and he drove this spectacle for all its worth. It was sort like watching the NBA equivalent of "The Bachelor", where everyone tries to put on their best "persona" until the suitors get sent home one by one, and someone's crying after such a dismissal. I have a friend who's a huge Cavs fan, and he went off on me for linking to Dan Gilbert's "F-U to LBJ" letter last night.  I just chalked it up to fans getting butt-hurt on LBJ's "betrayal", but at the end of the day, it's just entertainment.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#54 of 55 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted July 12 2010 - 07:42 AM

Here is an interesting viewpoint on the response of Gilbert to James leaving Cleveland.

http://sports.espn.g...lbertlbj-100709

#55 of 55 OFFLINE   Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted July 13 2010 - 04:24 AM

The most interesting thing to me about the whole situation are the indications, however unverifiable, that Lebron, Wade, and Bosh may have actually committed to Miami under the table as long as two years ago thanks to Riley and Wade selling the other two on the idea and Riley making it so nearly the entire team's contracts expired this year (either an unbelievably ballsy gamble or not a gamble at all depending on one's view). If nothing else, it's the most entertaining NBA conspiracy theory since the notion that Jordan's first retirement was an unofficial gambling suspension :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users