-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

2009-2010 MLB Hot Stove

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
87 replies to this topic

#1 of 88 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,027 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 26 2009 - 09:56 AM

Even though the '09 World Series has yet to be played...this news today is the first big news of the upcoming off-season.

After being re-upped with a one year contract as skipper in St. Louis, Tony LaRussa announces that Mark McGwire will be his hitting coach next season.  /img/vbsmilies/htf/eek.gif

I doubt that's a good idea.  One thing for sure...McGwire will have to open up and answer questions about "the past."    If not, he won't be able to function too well as a hitting instructor.  

I know LaRussa is really close with McGwire...but this might come back to haunt him...unless McGwire has decided it's time to clear the air.  Who know?  Maybe it'll work out to McGwire's advantage.  Just the idea of returning to an active role in baseball is a 180-degree turn for the the big man.  Maybe we're due for more surprises. 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#2 of 88 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,108 posts

Posted October 26 2009 - 12:32 PM

Do you think Pujols is with the Cards at the start of spring training, 2010?

#3 of 88 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,027 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 27 2009 - 03:05 AM

I dunno.  I don't follow the Cards close enough to know the issues.

But I can say that Pujols could go wherever he wants next year.  There's a guy who can punch his own ticket.  Who wouldn't want him?  He's just amazing.  Maybe too amazing...

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#4 of 88 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,027 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 10 2009 - 06:27 AM

The GM meetings are underway.

And, players are now filing for free agency.  Among those who have filed:

HERE'S an up-to-date list of those who have filed (from mlb.com).  There are a number of high-profile names on there...but it seems a lot of would-be free agents are deciding not to test the waters this year and are, instead, exercising their options to re-up with the current clubs. 

#5 of 88 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,027 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 17 2009 - 08:30 AM

And Zack Greinke wins the 2009 AL Cy Young award! 

#6 of 88 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,692 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted November 17 2009 - 12:19 PM

And Chris Coghlan and Andrew Bailey are the NL and AL Rookies Of The Year!
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#7 of 88 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted November 17 2009 - 01:34 PM

Huzzah for Greinke!  It was truly a magical season for him; every time he was on the mound you felt like something special was going to happen.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#8 of 88 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,027 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 18 2009 - 06:32 AM

And...Jim Tracy (Rockies) and Mike Scioscia (Angels) are the NL & AL Managers of the Year. 

#9 of 88 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,027 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 19 2009 - 03:17 AM

Hopefully the World Series can be contained in October next year

#10 of 88 Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,153 posts

Posted November 19 2009 - 03:55 AM

Glad to hear Greinke won the Cy Young.

With the playoff scheduling, I have a feeling they will never get that thing right! Or at least please both the fans AND the networks. But with no WBC next year, the playoffs should not spill into November.

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - August
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

#11 of 88 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,027 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 19 2009 - 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter C 

With the playoff scheduling, I have a feeling they will never get that thing right! Or at least please both the fans AND the networks. But with no WBC next year, the playoffs should not spill into November.
With that being said, Walter--and I agree wholeheartedly--it would be best if they just did away with the WBC altogether. 

And, honestly, I don't think they could ever please BOTH the fans AND the networks.  Outside of the issue of day games and start times of evening games and so many other things, I also have a problem with so many games (including an entire CS!) appearing on TBS--a non-broadcast channel.  That shuts a fair amount of people out of their national pastime. 

#12 of 88 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,027 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 20 2009 - 02:46 PM

And Tim Lincecum wins the NL Cy Young--for the 2nd year in a row!  /img/vbsmilies/htf/eek.gif

/img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsup.gif

#13 of 88 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,027 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 21 2009 - 11:04 AM

Greinke, with 16 wins, tied the previous record for least wins by a Cy Young winner.  Lincecum, with 15 wins this season, set a new record for least wins by a Cy Young winner.

Phil Mushnick (columnist for the NY Post) notes that the two, together, total 31 wins...the same number won by Denny McLain in his Cy Young year if 1968!  McLain also pitched 336 innings that year--107 more than Greinke and 111 more than Lincecum!

/img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

#14 of 88 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,027 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 22 2009 - 12:08 PM

Speculation on where Roy Halladay will pitch next season continues to grow.

Doc has made it clear to the Jays he won't re-sign with them after his contract expires at the end of next year. 

#15 of 88 Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted November 25 2009 - 01:13 AM

FYI - according to German TV - today is the birthday of Joe DiMaggio and he was married almost 1 year to Marilyn Monroe (I didn't know that or I had forgotten). I guess Joe must have struck out rather than hit a home run. If I remember, Joe played baseball for some unknown team.

#16 of 88 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,027 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 25 2009 - 01:51 AM

Sumner:

They have been married less than a year...but the mystique surrounding the coupling of those two will live on forever.

Even though they divorced, they remained very close--especially after Monroe started to have her psychiatric problems.  It was DiMaggio she leaned on during the final years of her life. 

I believe for him there was no other.  It was DiMaggio who had roses quietly sent to her grave several times a week for decades. 

#17 of 88 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,027 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 02 2009 - 05:04 AM

A very good baseball player...and a great American...Tommy Henrich...died yesterday.  He was 96.

Henrich was at bat in that 1941 WS game when Dodger catcher Mickey Owen dropped that infamous third strike which would have ended the game. 

#18 of 88 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,027 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 02 2009 - 05:09 AM

And reliever Billy Wagner has signed with the Braves.

Bad news for the Red Sox, IMO.

#19 of 88 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,108 posts

Posted December 02 2009 - 05:24 AM

Mike,

For my own part, I think it's good news.  He was okay for the short time he pitched for the BoSox.  But more than this, he seemed to be quite nonchalant about his role and whether he even wanted to continue playing the game.   His indecision (at first) to come to Boston, and telling people in interviews that he had achieved all there was to achieve in baseball, turned me off to him.  Then there was the reported tensions with Papelbon over their roles once Wagner got here.  I'm pleased to see him go.

On another note, did you catch where the Red Sox are thinking about using Pedroia at shortstop?  Does this mean that Gonzalez is not returning?

#20 of 88 Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts

Posted December 02 2009 - 05:36 AM

I think Gonzalez has in fact already signed with the Blue Jays (the deal was announced sometime during the Thansgiving weekend).  After signing Gonzalez, the Blue Jays are now expected to make no effort to re-sign Scutaro.