Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Help!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   me5150

me5150

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted October 26 2009 - 08:55 AM

Ok, I feel like a complete moron for having to ask this, I do know a fair amount about audio/video, but most of that is audio. Ok so, i just got a sick new surround from my grandpa. Got it all hooked up and all, but, my tv does on have outputs. I'm running straight coax to the tv. Do they make anything that I can turn my coax into RCA and run to my receiver?? Thanks for your help guys!

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted October 26 2009 - 09:32 AM

Sick new surround?
Are you watching basic cable or over the air tv, from an antenna?

Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   me5150

me5150

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted October 26 2009 - 01:31 PM

basic cable

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,240 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted October 26 2009 - 01:49 PM

need more info, what outputs and inputs are available on the tv and the surround system.
what type of tv, do you have hdmi input/output on the tv or anywhere in the chain?

you said, "my tv does on have outputs." can you clarify what you meant there?
facebook.com/whotony

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   me5150

me5150

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted October 27 2009 - 06:11 AM

Tv does not have outputs. Tv only have front and rear inputs. There are no outputs on the tv.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,240 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted October 27 2009 - 06:29 AM

you may need one of these.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=8168906933238707189&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=rf+converter&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

facebook.com/whotony

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,981 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted October 27 2009 - 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD 

you may need one of these.

http://www.bestbuy.c...tegories&ks=960

I don't think this will work. From what I can see, the only output from this device is via the F-Type coaxial cable.  What Jeramiah needs is a device that takes the F-Type input and can strip out the audio so he can connect via stereo RCA jacks to the receiver.

Jeramiah - most folks don't encounter this problem for a couple of reasons.  First, just about any late-model TV will have audio out.  I'm guessing your set is pretty old if it doesn't have ANY audio out.  Second, cable and satellite boxes are generally used to do this very thing.

Does your TV have ANY type of input other than the screw-on F-Type cable connection?

In many areas, cable companies (Comcast, here in Baltimore for example) are starting to require ALL customers (even basic cable subscribers) to upgrade to digital tuner boxes.  This sort of device does exactly what you need it to do.  Have you checked into whether or not your cable provider has these digital tuners for basic cable service in your area?  (They should be available free of charge - they are NOT the same as upgrading to actual digital cable service).

If this isn't an option, have you considered updating your TV?  If you can tell us a bit more about the size, environment, etc. we may be able to help you find a relatively affordable solution.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   kaleosis

kaleosis

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted October 29 2009 - 02:05 PM

you're pretty much stuck unless you

1. get another TV

Depends what type of receiver you have, but if you have a cable box, you can route the sound to your receiver through digital optical cables