What's new

Help!!! (1 Viewer)

me5150

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeramiah
Ok, I feel like a complete moron for having to ask this, I do know a fair amount about audio/video, but most of that is audio. Ok so, i just got a sick new surround from my grandpa. Got it all hooked up and all, but, my tv does on have outputs. I'm running straight coax to the tv. Do they make anything that I can turn my coax into RCA and run to my receiver?? Thanks for your help guys!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
need more info, what outputs and inputs are available on the tv and the surround system.
what type of tv, do you have hdmi input/output on the tv or anywhere in the chain?

you said, "my tv does on have outputs." can you clarify what you meant there?

me5150

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeramiah
Tv does not have outputs. Tv only have front and rear inputs. There are no outputs on the tv.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
you may need one of these.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=8168906933238707189&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=rf+converter&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by TonyD

you may need one of these.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=8168906933238707189&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=rf+converter&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

I don't think this will work. From what I can see, the only output from this device is via the F-Type coaxial cable. What Jeramiah needs is a device that takes the F-Type input and can strip out the audio so he can connect via stereo RCA jacks to the receiver.

Jeramiah - most folks don't encounter this problem for a couple of reasons. First, just about any late-model TV will have audio out. I'm guessing your set is pretty old if it doesn't have ANY audio out. Second, cable and satellite boxes are generally used to do this very thing.

Does your TV have ANY type of input other than the screw-on F-Type cable connection?

In many areas, cable companies (Comcast, here in Baltimore for example) are starting to require ALL customers (even basic cable subscribers) to upgrade to digital tuner boxes. This sort of device does exactly what you need it to do. Have you checked into whether or not your cable provider has these digital tuners for basic cable service in your area? (They should be available free of charge - they are NOT the same as upgrading to actual digital cable service).

If this isn't an option, have you considered updating your TV? If you can tell us a bit more about the size, environment, etc. we may be able to help you find a relatively affordable solution.

kaleosis

Auditioning
Real Name
kale
you're pretty much stuck unless you

1. get another TV

Depends what type of receiver you have, but if you have a cable box, you can route the sound to your receiver through digital optical cables

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks