-

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: GoodFellas: 20th Anniversary Blu-ray Book

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,902 posts

Posted October 26 2009 - 01:51 AM

Martin Scorsese’s All-Time Classic of Life Inside the Mob…           
GoodFellas
Celebrates 20th Anniversary with New Blu-ray Book Version
Includes Feature-Length Documentary
Just in time for Academy Award® Season

From WarnerHome Video February 16

Burbank, Calif., October 26, 2009 – On February 16, Warner Home Video (WHV) will celebrate the 20th anniversary of director Martin Scorsese’s gripping film GoodFellas, which film critic Roger Ebert called “the best mob movie ever,” with a new and enhanced Blu-ray book version. Featuring exclusive 34-page Blu-ray book packaging filled with fascinating photos, film facts and insider information, this 20th Anniversary Edition will also include two commentaries, three featurettes plus a feature-length documentary entitled, Public Enemies: The Golden Age of the Gangster Film, whichexplores the invention and development of the crime genre. GoodFellas 20th Anniversary release will also coincide with Martin Scorsese’s upcoming crime thriller ShutterIslandstarring Leonardo DiCaprio.

GoodFellas will be available for $34.99 SRP. Order due date is January 12, 2010.  

GoodFellas explores the criminal life like no other movie. Following the rise and fall of a trio of gangsters over 30 years, it’s an electrifying, fact-inspired tale of living – and dying. Based on the true-life best seller “Wiseguy” by Nicholas Pileggi, the film earned six Academy Award® nominations, including Best Picture and Best Director and was named 1990’s ‘Best Film’ by the New YorkLos Angeles and National Society of Film Critics. In 2000, GoodFellas was selected for preservation in the National Film Registry by the US Library of Congress.

Scorsese was awarded the Silver Lion Award in Venice.  Robert De Niro received wide recognition for his performance as veteran criminal Jimmy “The Gent” Conway, and Joe Pesci, as the volatile Tommy DeVito, walked off with the Best Supporting Actor Oscar®. Academy Award® nominees Lorraine Bracco, Ray Liotta and Paul Sorvino also turned in electrifying performances. 

Extra features include:
  • 16x9 Digital Transfer in Dolby 5.1
  • Commentary with Martin Scorsese plus select cast and crew including Ray Liotta and Lorraine Bracco
  • Bonus commentary with ex-gangster Henry Hill and Ex-FBI agent Edward McDonald

• Three cast/crew documentaries:
    • Getting Made: A penetrating look at the making of this modern classic
    • Made Men: The GoodFellas Legacy: Filmmakers Jon Favreau (Iron Man), Joe Carnahan (Narc), Antoine Fuqua (Training Day), Frank Darabont (Shawshank Redemption), and others discuss the influence of GoodFellas on their work
    • The Workaday Gangster: Writer Nick Pileggi, actors Frank Vincent, Paul Sorvino and others tell stories of growing up in a world where smalltime hoods were as common as the local butcher or mailman
·         Paper is Cheaper than Film: A glimpse into Martin Scorsese’s creative process including rarely seen sketches and more.
  • Theatrical trailer

Bonus Disc 2 contains feature-length documentary:
Public Enemies: The Golden Age of the Gangster Film

·   Four Mob-themed WB Cartoons: (I Like Mountain Music, She Was an Acrobat’s Daughter, Racketeer Rabbit and Bugs and Thugs)

Public Enemies: The Golden Age of the Gangster Film explores the invention and development of the crime genre; the rise of Warner stars like Cagney, Bogart and Robinson; as well as directors like Walsh, Wellman and Curtiz. It covers the films themselves, the influence they had on filmmakers all over the world; and the artistic merit that these defining classic films still warrant. Finally, the documentary celebrates the impact that Warner Bros. Studios had in establishing the iconic Hollywood Gangster, often imitated but never equaled. 

GoodFellas: 20th Anniversary Blu-ray Book
Street Date: February 16, 2010
Feature Running Time: 146 Minutes; Rated: R
Order Due Date: January 12, 2010
Catalog #: 1000114895
Pricing: $34.99 SRP

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted October 26 2009 - 06:56 AM

There's talk about some video errors of the previous version that have been fixed. I don't own that one (will buy this version, probably) but does anybody know what video errors those were?

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,195 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 26 2009 - 10:54 AM

It's not a video error. It's a vertical black line in the film element during one shot.

And from the specs listed I'm 99% sure Warner will just put the existing disc in the digibook packaging and call it a day. This is their standard procedure (see: A Christmas Story, The Matrix, etc.).

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted October 26 2009 - 08:44 PM

Well, '300' was released in a digibook with new features as well, and the re-release of Superman Returns also had a Dolby TrueHD track. So it can be done, press releases have been known to have mistakes in them. I just hope that's the case with this one.

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,738 posts

Posted October 27 2009 - 02:45 AM

Dolby 5.1 is a "special feature" on Blu-ray? 

Vincent

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,902 posts

Posted October 27 2009 - 09:22 AM

Posted Image

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted October 27 2009 - 10:51 AM

Looks like it's just the existing disc being used.

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,890 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted October 27 2009 - 10:52 AM

Nothing new here is there?  that Gangser documentary is in the "Warners Gangster Colelction Vol 4".

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted October 27 2009 - 10:57 AM

And the things I heard were apparently just rumors, sorry for the confusion. I might still buy it, if the price is low enough. Or I'll order the previous version which will be a lot cheaper then.

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,941 posts

Posted October 27 2009 - 03:04 PM

i'm hoping that they add a lossless track. i already ahve this BD w/lossy 5.1...

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Reagan

Reagan

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted October 28 2009 - 01:32 AM

The lack of a mention of a new transfer or lossless audio does not bode well. But who can't wait for that exclusive 34 page book!

The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.

#12 of 18 ONLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted October 28 2009 - 01:33 AM

IF WB's just rehashes the old BD release disc WOW what a way to stick it to the consumer. I would really be ashamed.

Very tacky move esp. for a film like this so acclaimed and still no lossless audio track.

I like the use of the complete poster style artwork.. it could have been expanded a bit more on the case but I am sure the book part is nice... but really the same old BD inside. TACKY WB's TACKY.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#13 of 18 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 28 2009 - 04:10 PM

I wasn't bothered by any black lines, but I did find the BD disappointing when played on 50" 200Hz Plasma. I'll have to check it out again, but my memory is the transfer was neither grainy enough to look natural and detailed, nor was movement anywhere near as smooth as most good quality BDs I watch mastered in 2008-2009. Was anyone else underwhelmed by it, or do I need to go back to the source to give more specific details?

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,195 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 28 2009 - 05:20 PM

It's a 2006/2007 HD release sourced from the 2004 HD master. Your memory is accurate.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#15 of 18 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 28 2009 - 08:28 PM

Thanks for those details Brandon; now that you mention it, that's definitely what it looked like. I really hope they strike it anew. Curious to find out whether they bother, because its definintely one of the dullest blus I own.

I'm looking at my copy of Goodfellas BD, and can confirm as others have mentioned, that there are no new features listed that we don't already have. It still includes my favourite commentary track "The Cop and the Crook," with the real Henry Hill and a significant cop in his life.

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted October 30 2009 - 03:39 AM

You know something that bodes even worse?
The lovely picture of the set shows the exact same disc as the old release.
I think we have a Christmas Vacation cash grab here folks.

I'll happily keep my HD DVD version and wait for a real remaster for my Blu-Ray fix.

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted November 03 2009 - 06:55 AM

If there's no lossless audio upgrade or a video remaster then no need to pick this one up.

"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   MatS

MatS

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts

Posted January 30 2010 - 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reda 

If there's no lossless audio upgrade or a video remaster then no need to pick this one up.

you will not need to go shopping for this title then