What's new

*** Official THE ROAD Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Great news, Tino. I really loved the novel, and have been cautiously following the film. Fidelity is something I hoped for on this one. Can't wait to see it!

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I'm relieved it's a faithful adap but I'm not surprised that the film turned out well. Anyone who saw the film The Proposition knew they weren't going to be disappointed. This movie has been on my must-see list since I first heard about it

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Btw, I was part of the focus group asked to stay after the film. Some interesting comments from the group of about 30.

About half rated the film excellent, the other half very good with two good. No fair or poor.

Half read the book, and all of them loved it and thought it was very faithful

Those who saw trailers were happy to see film was not an "action" film.

They all loved Viggos performance

They all liked the setting

a few thought it was a bit slow, but still suspenseful

All but two would reccommend it to friends

More as I remember

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Road". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The Road" should be posted to the
[COLOR= #44708c]Official Review Thread[/COLOR].

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
New trailer (listed under 30-10-09):

http://www.davestrailerpage.co.uk/

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I loved the book. It was absolutely heartbreaking - a father determined to survive with his young son in a dying world. Can't wait to see the film.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I can certainly agree with the real world providing enough depressing material. It's an overwelming book, and not one I plan to read again anytime soon. Having a 9 year old son made the reading experience hit home that much more. I'm planning to see the movie, but I really don't know why, if you know what I mean.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Originally Posted by Jim_C

I can certainly agree with the real world providing enough depressing material. It's an overwelming book, and not one I plan to read again anytime soon. Having a 9 year old son made the reading experience hit home that much more. I'm planning to see the movie, but I really don't know why, if you know what I mean.
The first book that ever brought tears to my eyes was The Road. My son had just turned a year old when I read it and the relationship between father and son was so well done.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I saw this Wednesday. I found it to be a very faithful adapatation of the material. It was an absorbing, heartbreaking film, as I'd hoped. The acting, pacing, and visuals were all excellent. I wept openly during the film. I have never lost control of my emotions like this - ever. I think it was definitely worth the wait. I hope that word of mouth spreads and it gets a wider release. It deserves to be seen. The central message of survival was overshadowed by a more important one: We need to find the good in everyone if we can. The film was not disgusting or depressing. There is a beam of hopeful light throughout it's running time -- JUST LIKE THE BOOK.

Carry the fire and see this if you can.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Why is it nearly impossible to see this film? It's going in to it's second week of release and still not playing anywhere in the Chicago suburbs. I live in an are with a multitude of theaters and have rarely had a problem finding a new release film....until now. Are they trying to bury this? I've been waiting 1-1/2 years to see this and I'm starting to feel that I'm going to have to wait for DVD unless I want to pay $50 to drive down-town, park, and pay to see it at a premium theater.

The two films that I want to see the worst right now are "The Road" and "The Messenger" and I can't see either.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Eric Peterson

Why is it nearly impossible to see this film? It's going in to it's second week of release and still not playing anywhere in the Chicago suburbs.
I'm in the same basic position but I assume it's the usual Oscar hopeful platform release and it'll be playing in the suburbs in another week or two.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I hope you're right. It's just strange that they don't list the film as being "Limited" anywhere.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Originally Posted by Eric Peterson

I hope you're right. It's just strange that they don't list the film as being "Limited" anywhere.
I had to see it at an art house theater about 30 minutes from home. I'm sure it will open wider.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I can't find this movie anywhere. My Mother in FL can't find it anywhere. I thought this was a wide release?

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Saw it on Thursday. Very well done. I did not engage fully on an emotional level until their cart was stolen from the beach. After that I was totally engaged for the rest of the movie.

Viggo was amazing. The cannibal house sequence was very effectively staged.

There were many with wet eyes by the time the film ended. Myself included.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jim_C

Which is why I can't see this. Just too depressing as a father.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks