-

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official THE ROAD Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,977 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted October 22 2009 - 01:16 AM

Great news, Tino.  I really loved the novel, and have been cautiously following the film.  Fidelity is something I hoped for on this one.  Can't wait to see it!
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#2 of 26 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,866 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted October 22 2009 - 02:20 AM

I'm relieved it's a faithful adap but I'm not surprised that the film turned out well. Anyone who saw the film The Proposition knew they weren't going to be disappointed. This movie has been on my must-see list since I first heard about it

#3 of 26 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,224 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted October 23 2009 - 09:01 AM

Btw, I was part of the focus group asked to stay after the film. Some interesting comments from the group of about 30.

About half rated the film excellent, the other half very good with two good. No fair or poor.

Half read the book, and all of them loved it and thought it was very faithful

Those who saw trailers were happy to see film was not an "action" film.

They all loved Viggos performance

They all liked the setting

a few thought it was a bit slow, but still suspenseful

All but two would reccommend it to friends

More as I remember

It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#4 of 26 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,514 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 25 2009 - 12:55 AM

This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Road". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The Road" should be posted to the
Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#5 of 26 Jim_C

Jim_C

Screenwriter

• 2,053 posts

Posted November 04 2009 - 11:44 AM

New trailer (listed under 30-10-09):

http://www.davestrailerpage.co.uk/

You want to upgrade again?!!

#6 of 26 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,574 posts

Posted November 04 2009 - 06:21 PM

Looks disgusting and depressing.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#7 of 26 Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,604 posts

Posted November 04 2009 - 09:25 PM

I loved the book.  It was absolutely heartbreaking - a father determined to survive with his young son in a dying world.  Can't wait to see the film.

#8 of 26 Jim_C

Jim_C

Screenwriter

• 2,053 posts

Posted November 05 2009 - 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin-S ">

Looks disgusting and depressing.
Captures the book well, then. <br /></span>
<br />

<br />

</div>

<div class=

#9 of 26 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,574 posts

Posted November 05 2009 - 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_C ">

Captures the book well, then. <br /></span>
<br />
 </div></div>
<br />
No doubt. I was at the book store one day and flipped through the book. I actually started reading the part that takes place in the house. I have to admit it was involving enough to keep me reading about what was going on in there. Unfortunately, I never reached that point before I had to leave. I did read enough to hazard a good guess as to what was going on and to conclude that he was in deep s$#t.<br />
<br />
The price of the paperback was just too high for what looked like a novelette length story. I also find there are enough real world events available for free that depress me, with out paying for the privilege. Still, just from what I read, it was written well enough to start pulling a person in. I'm sure the movie will do the book justice in depicting events that will more than likely occur in the intermediate future.

<br />

</div>

<div class=
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#10 of 26 Jim_C

Jim_C

Screenwriter

• 2,053 posts

Posted November 05 2009 - 06:49 AM

I can certainly agree with the real world providing enough depressing material.  It's an overwelming book, and not one I plan to read again anytime soon.  Having a 9 year old son made the reading experience hit home that much more.  I'm planning to see the movie, but I really don't know why, if you know what I mean.

#11 of 26 Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted November 05 2009 - 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_C 

I can certainly agree with the real world providing enough depressing material.  It's an overwelming book, and not one I plan to read again anytime soon.  Having a 9 year old son made the reading experience hit home that much more.  I'm planning to see the movie, but I really don't know why, if you know what I mean.
The first book that ever brought tears to my eyes was The Road. My son had just turned a year old when I read it and the relationship between father and son was so well done.

#12 of 26 Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,306 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted November 27 2009 - 01:54 AM

I saw this Wednesday.  I found it to be a very faithful adapatation of the material.  It was an absorbing, heartbreaking film, as I'd hoped.  The acting, pacing, and visuals were all excellent.  I wept openly during the film.  I have never lost control of my emotions like this - ever.  I think it was definitely worth the wait.  I hope that word of mouth spreads and it gets a wider release.  It deserves to be seen.  The central message of survival was overshadowed by a more important one:  We need to find the good in everyone if we can.  The film was not disgusting or depressing.  There is a beam of hopeful light throughout it's running time -- JUST LIKE THE BOOK.

Carry the fire and see this if you can.
Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#13 of 26 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted December 03 2009 - 12:51 AM

Why is it nearly impossible to see this film?  It's going in to it's second week of release and still not playing anywhere in the Chicago suburbs.  I live in an are with a multitude of theaters and have rarely had a problem finding a new release film....until now.  Are they trying to bury this?  I've been waiting 1-1/2 years to see this and I'm starting to feel that I'm going to have to wait for DVD unless I want to pay $50 to drive down-town, park, and pay to see it at a premium theater.

The two films that I want to see the worst right now are "The Road" and "The Messenger" and I can't see either.

#14 of 26 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,804 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted December 03 2009 - 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Peterson View Post

Why is it nearly impossible to see this film?  It's going in to it's second week of release and still not playing anywhere in the Chicago suburbs. 

I'm in the same basic position but I assume it's the usual Oscar hopeful platform release and it'll be playing in the suburbs in another week or two.

#15 of 26 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted December 03 2009 - 05:46 AM

I hope you're right.  It's just strange that they don't list the film as being "Limited" anywhere.

#16 of 26 Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,306 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted December 03 2009 - 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Peterson View Post

I hope you're right.  It's just strange that they don't list the film as being "Limited" anywhere.

I had to see it at an art house theater about 30 minutes from home.  I'm sure it will open wider.

Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#17 of 26 Norm

Norm

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted December 04 2009 - 04:40 AM

I can't find this movie anywhere. My Mother in FL can't find it anywhere. I thought this was a wide release?

#18 of 26 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted December 04 2009 - 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm 

I thought this was a wide release?
111 theaters, according to Box Office Mojo.

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#19 of 26 Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,262 posts

Posted December 05 2009 - 12:32 AM

Saw it on Thursday.  Very well done. I did not engage fully on an emotional level until their cart was stolen from the beach.  After that I was totally engaged for the rest of the movie. 

Viggo was amazing.  The cannibal house sequence was very effectively staged.

There were many with wet eyes by the time the film ended.  Myself included.

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#20 of 26 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,880 posts

Posted December 05 2009 - 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_C View Post

Which is why I can't see this.  Just too depressing as a father.

Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.