What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: North by Northwest (50th Anniversary Edition) [Highly Recommended] (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

North by Northwest Blu-Ray 

North by Northwest (50th Anniversary Edition)

Release Date: November 3, 2009
Studio: Warner Brothers
Packaging/Materials: Single-disc Warner Digi-book
Year: 1959
Rating: NR
Running Time: 2:16:00
MSRP: $34.99

THE FEATURE SPECIAL FEATURES
Video 1080p high definition 16x9 1.85:1 480i or 480p standard definition
Audio Dolby TrueHD: English 5.1 / Dolby Digital: English 5.1, French 1.0, Spanish 1.0, German 1.0, Italian 1.0, Portuguese 1.0 Stereo (5.1 and 2s) and mono
Subtitles English SDH, Spanish, French, Danish, German SDH, Italian, Finnish, Norwegian, Portuguese and Swedish English SDH, French, Spanish, German SDH, Italian and Portuguese

The Feature: 4.5/5

During a routine business lunch, Madison Avenue adman Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant) is mistaken for an American spy, sending him on a tumultuous journey that begins with his being kidnapped and almost killed. Though he narrowly escapes, no one believes his story, not even his mother, so he is forced to go it alone, pursued by the coolly sinister Philip Vandamm (James Mason), who's convinced he's more than what he is; eventually the authorities believe it too after it after it appears Thornhill has murdered someone in cold blood. If not for Eve Kendall (Eva Marie Saint), Thornhill would just be running for his life, but the beautiful stranger's moment of respite strengthens his resolve to fight his new enemies and clear his name. Though the truth becomes clearer with each lead he pursues, it turns out neither he nor Kendall are all that they seem. In his case it's from sheer necessity, the need to survive. In her case it's all by design.

To say "North by Northwest" is one of Director Alfred Hitchcock's best films is saying quite a lot, considering the company it keeps with "Rear Window," "Vertigo" and "The Birds" (to name just a few). Even without being sandwiched between two psychological thrillers on the Hitchcock filmography, one can see it is somewhat atypical of the work he's most known for, producing its excitement through action set pieces and choreographed romantic exchanges rather than convolutions of the mind. That's not to say it's in any ways conventional. If anything it's a perfect example of how an apparent "genre film" can be an outright great film, characterized by skillful direction, perfect casting and performances, and clever dialogue (though some of the humor in the first act falls flat). Though now 50 years old, the film certainly doesn't show its age - cosmetically, thanks to an impressive restoration that will please longtime fans, but also visually and narratively, evidence that good, cinematic storytelling is ultimately timeless.

Video Quality: 5/5

Presented in 1080p with the VC-1 codec, the film image fills the entirety of my 16:9 display (despite package labeling it as 1.85:1). The picture itself is blemish-free and exhibits consistently deep and stable black levels. Shadow delineation in pure black articles of clothing is often limited, but contrast can still be described as excellent, producing an image that feels both rich and dense. Deeply saturated colors and flesh tones add to the visual quality, the former looking especially remarkable in full daylight scenes. Wide angle vistas like the farmland crossroads, where the focus is so deep you can make out everything in the frame, show off the film's incredible sharpness and detail. Things may look a bit soft at times, particularly in the first several minutes, but by all appearances this is the nature of the cinematography rather than anything to do with the transfer, which also shows no signs of digital sharpening or noise reduction measures. In short, the film looks amazing. Titles a fraction of its age should be so fortunate.

Audio Quality: 4/5

The rear surround channels in the 5.1 Dolby TrueHD audio track provide light support for the score with some generally mild environmental and directional effects. The mix does become more aggressive in the crop dusting scene with seamless transitions for the airplane flyovers. Dialogue makes up the majority of the front soundstage activity and is consistently clear and detailed, the textures in Grant and Mason's vocal characteristics coming through nicely. Bernard Hermann's orchestral score is the greatest beneficiary of the lossless treatment with beautiful silkiness in the strings and powerful, sometimes surprising, depth to the tympani and double bass. And though LFE is non-existent, the airplane and fuel tanker explosion will definitely put the subwoofer to work. Overall it's an impressive presentation, yet another aspect of the film that transcends its age.

Special Features: 4.5/5

The special features package carries over the items from the 2000 DVD release and adds three additional documentaries. A handful of archival items and a commentary round out the overall solid feature set. Considering the quality of the film restoration and transfer, it would have been nice to have a featurette detailing the process, though I'm sure the information is readily available in industry magazines and websites (rumors of monks and nuns being involved notwithstanding).

Audio Commentary by Screenwriter Ernest Lehman: Lehman tends to describe on-screen action and is fairly measured in his comments, but he is forthcoming with his opinions, shares some interesting anecdotes, and provides insights into the writing process. However, with the slower pacing a more casual fan will probably get more out of the documentaries.

Cary Grant: A Class Apart (1:27:12, SD, 4x3): Produced in 2004 and aired as part of the PBS "American Masters" series, the documentary is a thorough exploration of Grant's professional and, to a lesser extent, personal life. The running theme throughout the piece is Grant's attitude toward and management of the "Cary Grant" persona, a canny awareness that many of today's legitimate stars and so-called celebrities would be wise to adopt.

The Master's Touch: Hitchcock's Signature Style (57:32, HD, 16x9): Produced in 2009, the documentary features directors like William Friedkin and Martin Scorsese, along with film critics and historians, identifying key characteristics of Hitchcock's work and what makes it so compelling. It offers a solid encapsulation of the director's particular storytelling methods, though is probably nothing new for longtime fans of his work.

Destination Hitchcock: The Making of North by Northwest (39:27, SD, 4x3): Produced in 2000, the somewhat sentimental retrospective is hosted by Eva Marie Saint and covers the requisite phases of the production, from development to publicity.

North by Northwest: One for the Ages (25:29, SD, 16x9): Screenwriter Christopher McQuarrie ("The Usual Suspects") and Directors Guillermo Del Toro ("Pan's Labyrinth"), William Friedkin ("The Exorcist"), Curtis Hanson ("The Hand that Rocks the Cradle"), and Francis Lawrence ("I Am Legend") dissect and analyze the film, highlighting key scenes and methods employed to tell the story. Of the more feature-centric pieces, I found this one the most interesting.

TV Spot (1:02, SD, 16x9):

A Guided Tour with Alfred Hitchcock Trailer (3:14, SD, 16x9): A tongue-in-cheek overview of the film with the director, presented as a travel promotion for the movie's locations.

Theatrical Trailer (2:13, SD, 16x9):

Stills Gallery (5:52, SD): Over forty photographs, primarily from the film's production but several from the production of "Destination Hitchcock."

Music-Only Audio Track: Presented in Dolby Digital 5.1 at 640 kbps, the switch to a lossy track is apparent, lacking much of the lossless option's smoothness and dynamic range. Though it's somewhat disappointing, the score is such a strong component of the film that in this case there's really not much benefit to the isolated track. Forced to choose between isolation and higher resolution, I recommend the latter.

Collectible Book: The nicely produced book-that-is-the-packaging includes cast and crew biographies, photographs and artwork and retrospective essays on the film.

Recap

The Feature: 4.5/5
Video Quality: 5/5
Audio Quality: 4/5
Special Features: 4.5/5
Overall Score (not an average): 4.5/5

One of Hitchcock's best films gets an excellent technical presentation and an equally impressive set of special features. For owners of the DVD the Blu-ray is a significant upgrade technically; the inclusion of in-depth documentaries further enhances the release. For both first-time purchase and the double-dip upgrade, the release is highly recommended.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
As an owner of the DVD, I'm going to order this right away. Thanks, Cameron!

Cees

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Great review, Cameron! I can't wait to see this one in high definition.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Are any of the extras docs in HD? The Master's Touch doc? Not that it would affect my purchase (already done), but we'd like to know these things from reviewers with preview copies.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
They are all in standard def. The information is in the table of specs but I can repeat that info in the special features section if that would help.

EDIT: Format and aspect ratio information added to the special features area.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
A great read, Cameron! It's almost exactly a year since we toured MPI and saw frames of this film being displayed at various workstations. When people talk about films being "in the pipeline", it's a long pipeline. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Thanks for the fine review, Cameron.

I eagerly anticipate this one. Will probably pick it up very soon after release, if not during release week itself.

_Man_

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have been posting my comments in two other threads
related to this title. I'll spare you this one and keep it brief.

The Blu-ray of NORTH BY NORTHWEST is just incredible.
The meticulous work done by MPI really shows here. Everyone
there should be taking a bow. Last year's release of HOW
THE WEST WAS WON and now this year's NORTH BY
NORTHWEST have set the bar for all studios to beat as
far as how great classic film should look on this format.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Great review, I like the extras included that are new.

Out of curiosity, I checked the Best Buy price after looking at the price from the link above to Amazon. The Amazon price as of today is $24, a really good price. But Best Buy's site lists the blu ray on sale for $20.99. Hopefully the in-store price is the same, because I'd rather pick it up at the store then wait for Amazon. I'm sure Mike's Bargins thread will confirm. Perhaps Amazon will reset their price if BB is this low.

One thing though, historically, older films like this don't always get out on release day at Best Buy in favor of the hotter new films. Hopefully BB will have this on release day.

Can't wait. "Why are you so good to me!"

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Best Buy currently has a 30% off all regular prices Blu-ray sale going on for the week, including pre-orders online. It's possible that the price may go up next week.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thanks for the tip Ray. Saved me a couple of bucks over my Amazon pre-order price.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Thanks, Ray. Nice heads up on the BB BD sale. There are quite a few titles of interest there, not just NxNW. Just wish I can go pick up NxNW right now instead of waiting til next week though.

_Man_

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Another heads-up folks - Amazon has matched Best Buy's $20.99 price on this title as well a number of other preorders. Shipping with Amazon Prime or on orders over $25 is free.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Travis, did you see an advanced copy of the BB weekly ad? I am gambling this web price/sale price will still be in effect next week. They have matched the website price for me at the store.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Amazon lowered their price to $20.99 (to match BB?) after I had already pre-ordered it at $24.99, but I cancelled and re-ordered at the lower price. I don't trust BB to hold that price until next week. But I did take advantage of that $10 off deal on the new Star Trek movie, if you add one of the previous movies - both for $30 total (with tax).

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by Hollywoodaholic /forum/thread/294299/htf-blu-ray-review-north-by-northwest-50th-anniversary-edition-highly-recommended#post_3622854

Amazon lowered their price to $20.99 (to match BB?) after I had already pre-ordered it at $24.99, but I cancelled and re-ordered at the lower price. I don't trust BB to hold that price until next week. But I did take advantage of that $10 off deal on the new Star Trek movie, if you add one of the previous movies - both for $30 total (with tax).
I was tempted to order @ $24.99, because I absolutely have to have this. But I really expected some sort of price drop and jumped on the $20.99 deal and pre-ordered. I've done the pre-order/cancel/re-order thing too many times with Amazon. With Prime and free 2-day shipping, I should get this on Tuesday.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by David_B_K /img/forum/go_quote.gif">
I was tempted to order @ $24.99, because I absolutely have to have this. But I really expected some sort of price drop and jumped on the $20.99 deal and pre-ordered. I've done the pre-order/cancel/re-order thing too many times with Amazon. With Prime and free 2-day shipping, I should get this on Tuesday.
I wonder if Amazon might still stick NxNW into the daily Gold Box deals just in time for release day.
_Man_

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to gamble that Best Buy will retain that sale price for North by Northwest till next week. If they don't have that price in the store, I'll have them match their web page price, which they've done for me before.

The other option is to pre-order it from the BB web site for in-store pick-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks