Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Got a hedgehog?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,801 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted October 24 2009 - 08:20 AM

Any tips for hedgehog ownership or reasons not to? I had a roommate who sold them, but I've recently become curious about owning one.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   evertec

evertec

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted October 27 2009 - 11:04 PM

just be sure to name him sonic ;)

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,449 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted October 28 2009 - 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by evertec 

just be sure to name him sonic ;)
Too unoriginal.
I would love to have one but they are illegal in Pa for some reason.

hedgehogcentral.com

facebook.com/whotony

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper

Screenwriter

• 1,287 posts

Posted October 28 2009 - 05:48 PM

How about "Spiny Norman"?

-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,286 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted November 14 2009 - 04:53 AM

I used to own one.  You know how you sometimes see people walking about with them, with the little hedgehog faces poking out of their arms looking all cute and adorable?

That wasn't mine.

Mine was reallly mean.  If you got close to him, he'd ball up, and buck his head at you.  They have extra long fighting spikes on their head, and he'd make a grinding, clucky, hissing sound while trying to get you with the head spikes.  That said, I had him for 2 years, constantly taking him out, holding him not unlike a falconer with my heavy leather work gloves hoping to get him used to me and the ex so he would be cute and funny.

It just never happened.  Finally the ex had enough and we donated him to a daycare.  Teach those kids some responsibility!  We replaced the hedgehog with a pair of ducklings.  that's another story, other then to say that the TV show FRIENDS is a liar liar pants on fire and ducks DON'T make good pets in an apartment building.

Back to the hedgehog, I have no advice other then pick one that doesn't ball up and try to stab you when you hold it.  Pick one that lets you hold and pet it with bare hands.  Other then that, they're pretty great.  They don't make much noise when you leave them alone, the food is cheap, and they aren't poo factories so cleaning the cage and wood chips isn't like cleaning a ducks pen.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,801 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted November 14 2009 - 05:01 AM

Thanks Russell.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,096 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted November 24 2009 - 03:08 AM

Acquaintances of mine have one. They seem to really like it.

Last week I was talking to a friend of theirs. He says that hedgehogs are not social animals, not really pettable, and spend much of their time hidden in their "cave" (like under a rock or other safe place in their habitat).

My impression is that these are wild animals, not domesticated, and have much the same attraction as hamsters or guinea pigs. Cute, funny / quirky animals that are pretty safe. But not social, do not bond with owners, the way domesticated pets do (such as dogs or cats).

But I'm speaking from second hand knowledge and inference; no personal experience.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,801 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted November 25 2009 - 01:16 PM

I guess being covered with sharp objects would tend to put a damper on one's social life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users