-

Photo
- - - - -

Magic Mouse announced

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
87 replies to this topic

#21 of 88 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,921 posts

Posted October 25 2009 - 10:47 PM

Carlo,

This is great to read. Thank you.  I guess it was a good
decision to go with the 27"

The reviews on the magic mouse have been mixed, more
towards the negative side, but not a total disaster.

Are you going to buy it today?

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#22 of 88 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,678 posts

Posted October 26 2009 - 02:46 AM

Ron, will call and see. Really depends on when I get off of work because as you have experienced, L.A. traffic can be a b@#ch and even though the Apple store is only 5 miles away, it can take a half hour or more to get there...

And by "it" I'm referring to the magic mouse for use with my laptop.

I probably won't be pulling the trigger on an iMac until next month. I'm waiting for the CTO i7 to be reviewed and get some benchmarks on barefeats.com and other Mac enthusiast sites to make sure it's worth the upgrade from the standard quad core i5. Since I use Logic Studio, which does use hyperthreading and would benefit from eight virtual cores in the i7, it will probably be a no-brainer.

Plus of the 5 new 27" iMacs I saw, one had a video glitch (where the screen would flicker) and I'm hoping that's just the one defect I spotted, and maybe it just needed rebooting. I scoured the Apple forums and didn't see reports of video glitching so I remain hopeful. I guess I just want to make sure it's relatively bug-free before I drop $2400 (after tax but with my academic discount) on a CTO i7 w/ a 2TB HD.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#23 of 88 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,921 posts

Posted October 26 2009 - 02:54 AM

Carlo,

Understood. Smart move.

Me, I am always impatient.

Gonna buy Apple Care.  Don't usually buy it, but for an iMac 
I think it is worth it as they are more prone to breakage than
a Mac Pro.

Question...

If I get an iMac with screen flicker or another annoyances
will my Apple Care assure me that I will get a replacement
at any point down the road?

Ronald J Epstein

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#24 of 88 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,678 posts

Posted October 26 2009 - 03:20 AM

Ron - not sure about replacement vs. repair, would probably be best to go to a store or call Apple to find out exactly what that entails. I know my friend bought a Mac Pro a year or so ago with it, and when her fans would go on overdrive all the time, she had to drop it off and they repaired it in 3-5 days (vs. getting a new one). Of course she also bought the 5K build (maxed out on RAM) because she's an artist, so it's not like they had her exact build sitting around in the store for replacement.

My Applecare for my MBP entitled me to a new battery (after I got past the "genius" and finally talked to a real tech at the store), but obviously they can't really repair a battery, so they had no choice.

I think if it's a serious/fatal flaw they'll obviously have to replace, if it's a glitch, I think they'll repair. I know the first gen of Intel MBPs had overheat problems and there was widespread replacement of logic boards if I recall correctly.

#25 of 88 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,738 posts

Posted October 26 2009 - 03:26 AM

I realize this is the "Mouse" thread, but since you fellas were discussing the 27" iMac -

http://www.marco.org...br type="_moz">http://jimcloudman.t...-of-the-27-imac

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#26 of 88 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,921 posts

Posted October 26 2009 - 04:06 AM

Walter, magnificent read.

Ronald J Epstein

#27 of 88 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,678 posts

Posted October 26 2009 - 05:05 AM

Yeah it echoes what I posted in the other thread about the cost of the screen.

Now I know Apple/Jobs too well to think they're even close to taking a loss on this product. It seems like they can't put out a product without a 40% profit margin. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

So I don't doubt they got a sweetheart deal with the panel manufacturer to make the price, but I do believe that this is the first iMac I have not considered to be grossly overpriced. In fact, with the CTO i7 build, I think it's a bargain.

#28 of 88 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,097 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted October 26 2009 - 08:33 AM

I have been using the Magic Mouse that came with my new iMac 21.5 version. So far so good. I really like the scroll feature with just having to move your finger down the face of the mouse instead of using a wheel. It was frustrating at first to use the command right click but then found I could just enable the right click in the mouse preferences by default and now all is well.

As far a tracking speed it can be set in the mouse preferences along with scrolling and double click speed. The only thing I am going to pick up is a new mouse pad as the one I have is a little worn and the Magic Mouse isn't quite a smooth on it as my Logitech MX is. 

Bottom line. I like it alot.

Parker

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#29 of 88 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,859 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted October 27 2009 - 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Clack 

I have been using the Magic Mouse that came with my new iMac 21.5 version. So far so good. I really like the scroll feature with just having to move your finger down the face of the mouse instead of using a wheel. It was frustrating at first to use the command right click but then found I could just enable the right click in the mouse preferences by default and now all is well.

As far a tracking speed it can be set in the mouse preferences along with scrolling and double click speed. The only thing I am going to pick up is a new mouse pad as the one I have is a little worn and the Magic Mouse isn't quite a smooth on it as my Logitech MX is. 

Bottom line. I like it alot.

Parker
Don't forget...you don't actually need a mousepad :)

I was thinking about that yesterday -- my new optical mouse was actually working badly on my bedraggled mouse pad at work, so I tossed the pad -- how we still use these relics from the days of mechanical-ball mice, when they're mostly unnecessary with current optical mice.

Parker, how do you like the new mouse compared to your MX? Did you use all the buttons on the MX, and do you feel limited with the lesser controls on the awesome mouse?

#30 of 88 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted October 29 2009 - 04:21 PM

Ordered one from Apple today.  Looking forward to getting it... the ball on my Mighty Mouse hasn't been working well for a while (I blame the cats), so a mouse with no balls (oh stop it) will be very welcome!  :)

#31 of 88 OFFLINE   don monteith

don monteith

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted October 30 2009 - 06:15 AM

I just got mine from our local Apple store here in Ft. Worth.  The mouse is awesome.  At first I thought the left and right swiping was going to be a bit awkward and I would have to chase the mouse around my desk.  However, that is not at all how it acts in reality.  The weight of the mouse, combined with it's sensitivity, make it extremely easy to use and control.  It takes very little of the swiping movement to activate the action.  Very nice mouse with a lot of possibilities for future functions. Once I set up the speed in system preferences it is a joy to use.

Don

#32 of 88 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,921 posts

Posted October 30 2009 - 08:56 AM

Don,

Very good to start reading reviews here,
yours in particular.

I pour through various Mac forums and I
have to tell you the LIKES and DISLIKES

are neck and neck. 

Most people complain about the size of
the mouse, how it hurts their hands, and
the lack of controls for Expose. 

Others, like yourself, really like the
effortless swipe function.

I am still three weeks away from receiving
my 27" iMac with the mouse.  I am just
wondering if I am going to be swayed away
from my wireless Logitech MX REVOLUTION
which to date has been a fantastic mouse.

Ronald J Epstein

#33 of 88 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,678 posts

Posted October 30 2009 - 10:25 AM

Ron, it's always tricky projecting likes for someone else, but at least you have the luxury of already having a mouse that you really like.

I do like the mighty mouse...when it works. I'm sick of always having to do their kluge workaround for "pseudo-cleaning" the ball (without disassembling it) to get it to be responsive.

I played around with the magic mouse at a local apple store and I think I'll like it. But if it doesn't "do it" for me, I'm stuck because I don't want to go back to the mighty mouse which has never solved the problem of cleaning the rollerball. If only apple would make an openable design it would be easy for users to clean it out ourselves!

#34 of 88 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,859 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted October 30 2009 - 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina 

I played around with the magic mouse at a local apple store and I think I'll like it. But if it doesn't "do it" for me, I'm stuck because I don't want to go back to the mighty mouse which has never solved the problem of cleaning the rollerball. If only apple would make an openable design it would be easy for users to clean it out ourselves!
If it happens you don't like the magic mouse and you also don't want to go back to the mighty mouse, take a look at the MX Revolution or similar from Logitech. Really a great mouse.

#35 of 88 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,921 posts

Posted October 30 2009 - 12:14 PM

As I mentioned, been reading a lot of reviews
across the net over the past few days.

One of the primary complaints about the mouse
is overall tracking speed, said to be sluggish.
Quite a few people have turned to a freeware
program, ZOOM MOUSE, which supposedly
helps immensely.

Other complaints come from those who own
27" iMacs.  Because of the width and all the
extra real estate it seems you can't track the
mouse from one end of the screen to the other
with a simple swipe of the finger.

Of course, until I own one of these myself I
am only reporting what I read.

Ronald J Epstein

#36 of 88 OFFLINE   don monteith

don monteith

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted October 30 2009 - 01:14 PM

I have a 30 inch monitor and without changing the tracking speed it was a little difficult to move across the screen.  All I did was set the tracking speed to fast and it was no longer a problem.

Don

#37 of 88 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,921 posts

Posted October 30 2009 - 01:26 PM

Don,

So good to hear that you aren't experiencing
any lags in mouse scrolling across your screen.

Very promising.

Ronald J Epstein

#38 of 88 OFFLINE   don monteith

don monteith

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted October 30 2009 - 02:48 PM

OK, now I don't know what is going on.  The new mouse was working fine.  I opened VM Ware Fusion 3 and now the mouse is very jerky.  Even after restarting it is doing the same thing.  Very discouraging since it was working just fine.  This makes no sense at all.  I am going to play with it some more tomorrow and maybe even call Apple.  I will let you all know what happens.

Don

#39 of 88 OFFLINE   don monteith

don monteith

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted October 31 2009 - 04:35 AM

All is right with the world today.  I uninstalled the mouse and reinstalled it and now it works great again.  I haven't tried it with Fusion yet.  I am kind of afraid to since I don't want it to screw up again.  Apple is supposed to be coming out with drivers to fix these issues.  I have noticed that it does react like a typical bt mouse though.  I takes a second for it to "wake up" after it has been sitting for a while.  Another issue, for me at least, is the 1 finger scrolling.  I am so used to using 2 fingers with my MBP that I find myself trying this on the new mouse.  All that seems to do is confuse the crap out of the mouse and make it jump around.

Don

#40 of 88 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,345 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted October 31 2009 - 05:04 AM

Started using one yesterday. I've had no problem with the tracking speed, but I would hardly call the swipe functions effortless. Merely scrolling vertically through a document often proved to be an exercise in futility. I'll try it for another week or two, but I could easily see myself reverting back to my Mighty Mouse. As long as I would occasionally upend it and dislodge the lint and dirt underneath the scroll ball, I had absolutely no problems navigating through documents with it.