What's new

Need help/advice in selecting a Blu-Ray Player.. (1 Viewer)

frothybroccoli

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron
Okay, I am looking to buy a blu-ray player to complete my home theater system (for now anyway). I have a 42" Panasonic plasma, a Toshiba HD-Dvd player, Xbox 360, Velodyne DPS-12, and currently running a Pioneer SX-315 surround sound system, but will be replacing the receiver with an Onkyo HT-RC160 within a week or two (the speakers eventually, depending on different things).

So as you can kinda see, i like to have high performance equipment, or at least close enough to the best equipment, because i like having my stuff running the best it can. my tv, surround sound, etc arent the top of the line, etc, but they're the best performing for what i could afford, etc. I want to say the max i can really go is $300-ish (mostly to keep the ps3 in the possibilities). so i cant afford the top of the line ones, so my question is following the above situations/circumstances, which BD player do you feel would be my best option? I have heard some good stuff about the Panasonics, one LG model, and have heard mixed reviews on the PS3.

oh and some additional important stuff:
- I dont really care about load times as long as its not more than like a minute or two, because thats the same way my HD-dvd player runs and it isn't that big of deal for me
- I dont really care about any of the add-on streaming services, i can stream Netflix through my 360 already (it wouldn't hurt if it did come with netflix as a service, but its not something i'm looking for, and i'm not willing to sacrifice performance just to get netflix on it), and i don't have the free money sitting around to buy/download stuff all the time, so i wont really use the services.
- as for the gaming aspect of the PS3, theres only one or two games that are PS3 exclusive that i would want to play as of now, but i dont think they are enough to push me to get the PS3 for the gaming aspect.. I am mostly concerned with knowing how the PS3 performs with Blu-ray playback visually and its audio.

- i think probably the most important thing to me in the player is the overall Video and audio performance.. i want one that i will be proud to own because it is going to fully utilize the BD, and it will show on the tv and be heard.. i think you get the point.

okay i think this is long enough, so thanks for any help, its greatly appreciated.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
One of the best you can get....................
http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/
All the reviews rave about it.
This one will be mine at the end of the month.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by Ed Moxley /forum/thread/294113/need-help-advice-in-selecting-a-blu-ray-player#post_3618957
While this is certainly a fine player, it is also way beyond the budget stated by the original poster.

The current models from Panasonic and Sony are solid products, and both companies have a history of providing timely firmware updates when required. I saw the Sony BDP-S360 on sale last week at Amazon for under $170. I have the previous generation Sony BDP-S350, and it's been a solid player -- playing every disc I've thrown at it.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Yes, I know it is more than he stated for his budget.
But, who knows? Maybe he'll want to wait and save a little more money, to get one of the best players out there? I know that if possible to get a better player, for just $200 more, I'd save for it. Not everyone thinks like me though. I can put the info out there, and they can decide what to do with it.

frothybroccoli

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron
I understand where you are coming from Ed, because if I had $500 to spend freely, I would definitely get the best there is out there, I mean, why wouldn't I? But since I am still somewhat knee-deep and paying off college expenses, I have determined that I can only budget $300 max right now. But for $300 it would have to be a really great player, because if I can get one for $150 on a Black Friday deal that will operate at the same level as a $300 one, then that makes more sense for me to save money. So best performing player, but also needs to be a good value I guess, if that all makes sense.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
well then, I'd say the Sony BDP-S360.
As Scott said, Amazon.com has it right now for $163.15 with free shipping. I was going to get this one, but since I'll have the money at the end of the month, I decided to get the Oppo, since I also have sacd and dvd-audio discs to play.
Good luck!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I've been very tempted by the Oppo, too, Ed. The improved upconversion and scaling for SD-DVD and quicker load times for BD's would be wonderful to have. However, I have just not been able to justify spending $500 on another BD player. I currently have the Sony for BD playback, an Oppo 980H for SD-DVD and DVD-Audio (it also plays SACD), and a Sony ES carousel SACD/CD player to handle CD's and SACD's.

Aaron, I think you will be happy with the Sony. While it is no Oppo, for the price it is a fine BluRay player.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Scott................
Get the Oppo, and get rid of all the others!
When I get mine, I'll retire the Denon 2200, since the Oppo plays sacd and dvd-audio too.
I have a Pioneer 563a in the bedroom. It's a universal player too, but when I got the Denon, I quit using the Pioneer for sacd and dvd-audio. The Denon was better at those. But, believe it or not, the Pioneer plays dvds better, especially home made dvds. The Denon is too picky!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ed,

I really like my Sony ES SACD/CD carousel player, so I would not get rid of it. I think it sounds better than the Oppo 980H for both CD and SACD playback, it is built like a tank, and I really like having a separate 5-disc carousel to keep music loaded in. Besides, I could never sell the player for what I think it is really worth.

The Oppo 980H works well enough for SD-DVD playback, although I'm sure the 983 would be an improvement. I rarely listen to DVD-Audio (only have a few titles), so that is not very important to me.

If my Sony BD player dies, though, I will definitely replace it with a Oppo player and move the 980H to our bedroom. I currently have an ancient Panasonic RP-91 installed there.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
LOL.......... I was just messing with you. (Notice the big grin)
Also, you just get used to stuff, and can breeze through the settings, because it's so familiar.
I wouldn't get rid of the Pioneer, even though there is better with sacd and dvd-audio. But, as I said too, it's very good with playing dvd discs, that the Denon wouldn't play (home made discs).
I'm hoping, from all that I've read, that the Oppo takes care of it all............(2-3 more weeks)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by frothybroccoli ">[/url]

- i think probably the [b]most important[/b] thing to me in the player is the overall Video and audio performance.. i want one that i will be proud to own because it is going to fully utilize the BD, and it will show on the tv and be heard.. i think you get the point.

[/QUOTE]"Fully utiltize" is probably a bit loaded when it comes to the BD format.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I would spend as little as possible on a player. I bought the Panasonic BD60 when it was released, and after 5 months it no longer plays Blu Rays, and even under warranty it is a PITA to have to ship it half way across the country to get it fixed. Electronics these days are disposable - I have a stack of dead DVD players (not cheap ones either) to attest to that. There are plenty of players under $200 that should last at least until their warranties expire, by which time something bigger and better will be along.

Curtis F

Stunt Coordinator
I've been debating on whether or not it's time to get a Blu-Ray yet myself. My biggest concern isn't picture or sound quality. Those can be a matter of opinion. My biggest concern after reading reviews is PROBLEMS. It seems that every model I've read about, someone has technical problems and glitches that firmware upgrades don't seem to fix. And then get the runaround with customer service. I would like to know who has had the best (and worst) luck with which players.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
The only player I've ever had a problem with was a Panasonic. That's why I will not recommend Panasonic to anyone. I have a Pioneer 563a universal player that is still going strong, after six years. I also have a Denon 2200 universal player, that is still going strong, after about five years. If you buy a quality player, it should last for years. Electronics is one place where you get what you pay for, usually.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Should and does are different things when it comes to electronics lasting these days. I have bought expensive players and cheap ones, and in my experience they both have as good a chance of failing prematurely. My high end Hitachi player was having problems after a few years, so I had it repaired. Two months later, dead. The BD60 that just failed after 4 months turns out to be the blue laser - fortunately Amazon just replaced it. While there are some components that may be worth the extra money (amps, TVs) I don't think most players are being built with quality in mind, and for the price of upgrading to a better model you could likely replace a cheaper one and still come out ahead in the long run.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I should knock on wood, but I've experienced no issues with any SD-DVD or BD player that I've purchased in the past 11 years. I still have my first SD-DVD player (a Sony model that didn't even support DTS output), and a quite old Panasonic RP-91 that saw lots of use. My nephew is still using my first 480p player, a two-disc Toshiba model.

What kind of abuse are you folks putting your equipment through? (just kidding)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I've also been very lucky with my many, many HT purchases including quite a few H/K's*, various factory refurbs, those bought from Audiogon, ebay, craigslist, etc. The only problem I've had is with an H/K DVD 5, which I still have, somewhere . It sometimes wouldn't read a dvd disc. But I bought it as an open box from Fry's which was where I made my mistake. Who knows the kind of abuse it had to endear. But the picture and sound quality were stunning for a non-progressive scan player. When it loaded the disk.

* To be fair, my H/K 520 has been on for 6-10 hours a day, almost everyday, for 6-7 years now. In fact, when I'm causing trouble around here I'm listenning to something on it. Like CSN from Sirrius/XM right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks