17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 Viper

Viper

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted October 17 2009 - 10:50 AM

Apparently, it's a Best Buy exclusive. http://www.bestbuy.c...cp=1&id=2054362

Anyone gotten their hands on it yet? I plan on going in the morning. THIS is the kind of movie that needed to go Blu. The single disc DVD was matted (with a horrid snapcase, no less), and the anamorphic transfer was split on 2 discs. Who wants that shit? Blu-Ray FTW!

#2 of 18 cafink

cafink

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted October 17 2009 - 02:24 PM

Just for the record, the original single-disc DVD release of this film was in anamorphic widescreen, and it was re-issued in a standard keep case after Warner abandoned the snapper.  (And who cares about the case, anyway?)  Barring any serious issues with it, this new Blu-ray will obviously best any prior release of the film, but the two DVDs were both fine releases with no real issues.

#3 of 18 Wayne_j

Wayne_j

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted October 17 2009 - 04:37 PM

This is definitely news to me, I didn't see it in the weekly ad.  I'll try to pick it up this week, I see it is in stock at my local store.

#4 of 18 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• PipPipPip
  • 6,837 posts
  • LocationValley Glen, CA

Posted October 17 2009 - 04:59 PM

Sheesh. At least Target advertised their exclusive Wizard of Oz....

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#5 of 18 RickER

RickER

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted October 18 2009 - 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafink View Post

Just for the record,      (And who cares about the case, anyway?) 
Just for the record, i care about the case too. Just cause you dont, thats fine, but some of us do. I know people who leave their discs sitting on the floor, so i guess they dont care about cases either. But of course, to each his own. I hate Digi Books too, and Warner really seems to love them now.
Anyway, regardless, i will have to wait for a general release of this, unless BB has a killer price, and they dont/wont.

#6 of 18 Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted October 18 2009 - 07:36 AM

I think that good artwork is definitely enhanced on a digibook. It gives it something extra. And because both Darabont movies released by Warner now have Drew Struzan artwork, it looks extremely good to me.

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#7 of 18 Viper

Viper

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted October 20 2009 - 06:06 AM

These damn digi book cases are too much like snapcases. They should offer regular BD case box art for those of us that don't like their specialty shit packaging. :(

This doesn't seem to be playing very smoothly on my PS3. Anyone else noticed anything odd?

#8 of 18 Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted October 20 2009 - 03:25 PM

Sadly, no word about this at BB in Canada.../img/vbsmilies/htf/angry.gif

It is, however, already being exploited by 3rd party sellers on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.co...56095613&sr=1-3
I don't like SPAM!

#9 of 18 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Advanced Member

• 28,135 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 21 2009 - 06:15 AM

What?!?   /img/vbsmilies/htf/eek.gif

This got completely by me. 

This showed up on NONE of the "new release" lists I routinely check.  It also didn't show up on BB.com when I was checking this week's prices for the WRU.  It also wasn't in their weekly flyer...

What the heck is going on?!?  /img/vbsmilies/htf/confused.gif

Why bother to have an exclusive release of a high-profile film if you're not going to let anyone know about it?  Crazy. 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#10 of 18 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Advanced Member

• 28,135 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 21 2009 - 06:17 AM

bb.com (from the link in the OP) says it is back-ordered.

Is $29.99 the price being charged in-store?!? 

Maybe they just don't want to sell any copies of this title. 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#11 of 18 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,846 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted October 21 2009 - 02:09 PM

still can put it in the cart and do in store pick up.
I love this movie but I'll wait 'till it's lower.

facebook.com/whotony

#12 of 18 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,449 posts

Posted October 21 2009 - 03:42 PM

Yes it's $29.99 in the store. Just picked it up earlier this week but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. It's so weird how under the radar this was...

#13 of 18 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 23,099 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 25 2009 - 12:42 AM

I usually don't buy any titles at this pricepoint, but yesterday I was shopping at BB and came across this title and couldn't help myself.  I watched it last night and was very pleased with the video and audio presentations.  This is such a great film that should be given a general release in the next several months.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#14 of 18 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Advanced Member

• 18,466 posts

Posted October 25 2009 - 08:15 AM

Amazon/UK will start shipping it on November 16th.

Generally (always?) Warner BDs in Europe are region-free.

Cees

#15 of 18 Anthony_H

Anthony_H

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted October 29 2009 - 11:06 AM

FYI.. just picked this up at BB and although it is marked $29.99, its ringing up at $20.99 which matches the online price.

#16 of 18 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Advanced Member

• 28,135 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 29 2009 - 11:14 AM

Anthony:

Thanks for THAT update! 

#17 of 18 Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted October 30 2009 - 03:54 AM

Picked this up yesterday.  Decidedly more detailed than the 2-disc DVD, and quite different looking.  Much stronger contrast and darker.

For the record, I like Digibooks, and this one is enhanced by the use of a shiny foil, illuminating the window behind Tom Hanks on the cover.

#18 of 18 ahollis

ahollis

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,129 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 09 2012 - 02:18 PM

With the untimely passing of Michael Clarke Duncan this past week, I checked Amazon and see that they have it for $14.99.  I think it is at that price at Best Buy also.  But I picked up the Amazon deal and not sorry I did.  What an outstanding actor he was.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users