Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

eiki lc-xb28

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   toddshannan95

toddshannan95

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted October 17 2009 - 03:07 AM

Hi, everyone. We are turning a old game room into something for the kids to watch movies and play their x-box. I have found an Eiki LC-XB28 projector for $300.00. I don't know alot about projectors but liked the idea of a 110" screen. Would this projector work with satelite tv, movies and x-box. also is the priceabout right. Thanks for any help, Todd

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,981 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted October 19 2009 - 07:33 AM

Hi Todd,

Do you have a budget in mind?  For $300 it will be difficult to find much that will be a suitable projector for movies and games.  Although the model you listed supports HD resolutions of 720p and 1080i, it's really a 4x3 aspect ratio projector with a native pixel resolution of 1024x768.  Most likely it was initially intended for business use.  The contrast ratio (even though the numbers are notoriously subjective) is pretty low at 450:1, and it doesn't have any HDMI input.  It seems to have decent brightness, which would support a larger screen, but the low contrast ratio would be a deal-breaker for me.

Looking at new projectors, the Optoma HD65 is a very highly-rated 720p projector that can be found for about $700 (not including a mount and cable).  If you're ceiling mounting, a universal mount might run about $100 and for cables, you can get 25' in-wall HDMI cables from monoprice.com.

If this is pushing beyond your budget, then you may have to consider the used market - but I would suggest looking up any potential projectors on the projectorcentral website to compare.

You can also save some cash by going with a DIY screen and putting the money reserved for a screen into the projector fund.  There are many people on this forum that can offer suggestions for building or even painting your screen for well under $100.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,981 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted October 19 2009 - 07:36 AM

Duplicate Post...

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!