Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Menus at startup? Why?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 of 37 OFFLINE   Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman

Second Unit

• 382 posts

Posted December 09 2001 - 09:32 PM

Hello all. Upon getting Pearl Harbor, I have finally had it with DVD menus popping up when the disc is inserted. I mean come on, it takes forever for them to finally start up so I can get to the movie. In addition, when inserting the second disc, the same menu appears. NOOO!!! Anyone else agree that menus should NOT pop up when inserting the disc? Kudos to Paramount for not doing this with the Godfather collection. The studios need to wake up and just start the movie when the disc goes in (sure, throw up your FBI warnings and whatnot, most of the time they can be skipped). That's one thing I miss about laserdisc: no damn menus! Cheers, AJ Garman
"It's been my lifelong ambition to be a movie usher, and I have failed, as far as I am concerned" - Bob Dylan

#2 of 37 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted December 10 2001 - 03:36 AM

Actually, I prefer the menus to come up first. I always watch the trailers first before watching any film. It makes sense to me to see these first, since that's how you'll feel the most impact from them: BEFORE the movie. I always hate it when a DVD start right into the film. But I agree that PH's menus, among others, take way too long to get going and let you make a choice. What I hate is animated menus. THEY are what should be banned. Or else keep them, but don't let them interfere with what you are trying to choose, and quickly. Don't "fade in" the menu choices, or otherwise keep them from appearing on-screen immediately. Show them right away, and allow them to be used right away. That's your REAL complaint, isn't it?
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#3 of 37 OFFLINE   Alex Shk

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts

Posted December 10 2001 - 03:45 AM

You cannot avoid menu's on discs that have multiple soundtracks (DPL - DD - DTS) as is the case with Pearl Harbor and NOT the case with the Godfather series. If your system allows you to play a choice of soundtracks, wouldn't you prefer to select them prior to the start of the film? The problem with Pearl Harbor is that if you select the DTS track (as I did), you need to reselect that choice when you insert the second disc. The default soundtrack on DVD's is DD (per specification). Any other soundtrack need to be re-selected. I don't mind the menus as much as the graphics I had to sit through twice. The second disc of PH should just have a static menu with "audio options" and "play part 2".

#4 of 37 OFFLINE   Brian O

Brian O

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted December 10 2001 - 03:48 AM

How about a quick option window without any extra-curricular activity when a disc first boots up giving you two options: 1. Start movie - with Sound option selection 2. Go to menu - where you get the full animated menus.

#5 of 37 OFFLINE   Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter

• 1,300 posts

Posted December 10 2001 - 04:41 AM

I like the menu to pop up fast, but animated menus should be skippable.
A r t u r M e i n i l d
People Strategy Consultant (M.Sc. Eng.)Semi-professional Composer & Musician

#6 of 37 OFFLINE   Mike Brantley

Mike Brantley

Stunt Coordinator

• 200 posts

Posted December 10 2001 - 08:40 AM

I've always hated it when VHS tapes start playing by themselves (when the record-protect tab is removed). I like that laserdiscs don't autoplay, and I would hate my DVDs to start playing by themselves upon insertion. I like to load the movie into the machine in advance of getting myself and my guests into position and "equipped" with popcorn, drinks, etc. THEN I want to press play or choose "play movie" from a menu with my remote. I hate coming-on-DVD promos that start playing by themselves, and I despise FBI warnings that can't be skipped. Those warnings should be put at the end of the feature, where the would do just as much good (which is no good at all, really). I agree with others who prefer fast, responsive menus. Save all the gee-whiz animated antics for something else. Nice, attractive, functional menus like Criterion uses is all I want. I just watched The Blob on Criterion, and its menu has an animated background, but it is simple and fast to load. That's all you need.

#7 of 37 OFFLINE   Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter

• 1,293 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted December 10 2001 - 10:25 AM

I believe a majority of the people here will agree that menus should be the first thing that comes up. When DVD's first came out in 1997, most did not (including Warner) and there was a big boycott to make studios have menus come up first. A lot of money goes into the design and creation of animated menus and surely the studios would frown upon people skipping their hard work!

#8 of 37 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted December 10 2001 - 10:35 AM

There are some animated menus you can skip. The new X-Files box for instance

#9 of 37 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,076 posts

Posted December 10 2001 - 05:43 PM

Wait a minute- people actually COMPLAINED about the discs that started with the MOVIE? I think the first discs from Warner and Columbia got it just right- start the MOVIE, go to STOP mode when it's over, and show the menu ONLY when you hit the MENU button! It's a movie, not a video game!
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#10 of 37 OFFLINE   Brad_W

Brad_W

Screenwriter

• 1,361 posts

Posted December 10 2001 - 05:49 PM

I would have to disagree with Jesse on this one. I prefer to have a menu first because I like to see what extras I may want to watch after the movie, check the audio set-up (on my Coppola's Dracula DVD, it played the film in 2.0 rather than 5.1 without me actually switching it. Usually the auto-PCM will detect "the best possible audio" for my DVDs, but not on this one), check for widescreen/pan and scan set-up (In the Mouth of Madness and Mulan have this option that I can think of off hand), and a lot of times I load a disc and walk away to turn off lights, make something to eat, masturbate, ect.

Posted Image

#11 of 37 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted December 10 2001 - 06:00 PM

Actually, I prefer that the menus come first...that way, while the disc is loading I can get myself some snacks and a drink and just press play when I'm ready. Oh well, everybody has their own preference I guess.
Recently watched- Band Of Brothers, Scream Blacula Scream, Blacula, Maleficent 3D, Lake Placid, Running Scared(1986), Heroes: Season 2, Lock,Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, True Blood: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Star Trek Into Darkness, Star Trek(2009), Game Of Thrones: Season 1, Vault Of Horror, Tales From The Crypt(1972)

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 3, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 3, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 2, Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 1, Game Of Thrones: Season 2, Heroes: Season 2, The Pacific

"Since my customary farewell would appear oddly self-serving, I shall simply say...Good luck."

#12 of 37 OFFLINE   John Miles

John Miles

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted December 10 2001 - 07:30 PM

Menus first. Posted Image I do NOT want the movie to begin playing until I hit "Play" on the remote.

#13 of 37 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted December 10 2001 - 07:47 PM

no MENUS.... it totally messes up the illusion of reality... it messes up the continuity, you are drawn out of the film.

#14 of 37 OFFLINE   John Miles

John Miles

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted December 10 2001 - 08:02 PM

[quote]

no MENUS.... it totally messes up the illusion of reality... it messes up the continuity, you are drawn out of the film.

[quote]

WTF? You haven't started the film yet!

#15 of 37 OFFLINE   Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman

Second Unit

• 382 posts

Posted December 10 2001 - 08:24 PM

So what if a film has multiple soundtracks? There IS an audio key on every DVD remote. Now if most studios would let us switch the audio from the remote. In the case of Pearl Harbor, it cannot be selected from the remote. A good example is Shrek: one can flip easily between Dolby Digital and DTS. Sometimes, this is good for comparisons. But the fact of the matter is that I would prefer to have the movie start first. If not, at least have the second disc (as in Pearl Harbor, Ben Hur, etc.) start right into the movie.
"It's been my lifelong ambition to be a movie usher, and I have failed, as far as I am concerned" - Bob Dylan

#16 of 37 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted December 10 2001 - 09:47 PM

If the all DVD films' started with 'my' choice of soundtrack & subtitles, I to would like the disc to jump into the film. Some even 'forget' the FBI, or better yet have it at the end [except Disney, who not once, not twice, but three times, runs a warning. Yea, that will stop them!]

Now there's even titles that do not allow you to change soundtracks without going back though the menu. Nut's!

We could never [I know never...] get EVERY studio to release all films with 'everyones' choice of S&S.

So, I propose have a default setting on the DVD player, for personal choices of S&S. A la Sony having a default setting, some say because early Tristar releases always had the subtitles on, to play disc with 5.1 [if available] and subtitles off. Do all Sony DVD players still do that? Sorry, wrong forum. You don't have too answer that!
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#17 of 37 OFFLINE   Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor

• 995 posts

Posted December 11 2001 - 12:51 AM

MENU first!!! But I do hate menus which show clips from films, like What Lies Beneath!!! ps Never watch a trailer before the feature, What Lies Beneath is the perfect example of how to ruin it for the audience!

#18 of 37 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted December 11 2001 - 03:08 AM

[quote]

ps Never watch a trailer before the feature, What Lies Beneath is the perfect example of how to ruin it for the audience!

[quote]

Didn't ruin it for me! OR the missus! BZZZZZ!!! Sorry, wrong answer; thanks for playing, though...

I will always take the same chance of watching the trailers beforehand that the audience in-theater did watching that trailer on-screen in the weeks leading up to the feature's release. If it spoils it for them, it spoils it for me.

Studios are advised to design trailers - AND DVD box art and animated menus - that *WON'T* spoil a movie for their audience. They should always ask themselves "when my (grand)son or (grand)daughter sees this for the first time, what surprises should be left intact?".

Hence, I'll re-iterate that menus should always come up first, and be simple/quick to get access to at all times.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#19 of 37 OFFLINE   Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor

• 995 posts

Posted December 11 2001 - 03:29 AM

[quote]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ps Never watch a trailer before the feature, What Lies Beneath is the perfect example of how to ruin it for the audience!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Didn't ruin it for me! OR the missus! BZZZZZ!!! Sorry, wrong answer; thanks for playing, though...

I will always take the same chance of watching the trailers beforehand that the audience in-theater did watching that trailer on-screen in the weeks leading up to the feature's release. If it spoils it for them, it spoils it for me.

Studios are advised to design trailers - AND DVD box art and animated menus - that *WON'T* spoil a movie for their audience. They should always ask themselves "when my (grand)son or (grand)daughter sees this for the first time, what surprises should be left intact?".

Hence, I'll re-iterate that menus should always come up first, and be simple/quick to get access to at all times.

[quote]

The entire trailer gives away the film, once you start watching it you know what's going to happen. I'm not the only one who thinks this, but I digress Posted Image Different horses for different courses Posted Image

FOX and Planet of the Apes art is another example...

Posted Image

#20 of 37 OFFLINE   Mike_G

Mike_G

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted December 11 2001 - 05:12 AM

Thumbs up on menus Posted Image

Thumbs WAY down on spoilers in the animated menus! Posted Image Posted Image

I like to set my audio options before I start the movie.

MIke

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users