Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Recomendations for the best performing subwoofer in the $400 - $700 range.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,028 posts

Posted October 14 2009 - 12:17 PM

What I would like to know is what is the best performing subwoofer in the $400 - $700 range.  I would like to get a subwoofer that can produce strong low base that you can feel and has a good db & spl rating.  My thoughts on this is that I might be looking at a 10" or 12" subwoofer.  My room is aprox 22' X 12' if that helps at all?  My dream subwoofer configuration for some time was to run dual JBL 18" subwoofers if I was able to move into a bigger house but heck I can afford to build the subs anyway.   
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#2 of 10 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,051 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted October 14 2009 - 01:44 PM

http://www.edesignau...products_id=102

If you can up your budget to $800, then the next model up http://www.edesignau...products_id=618

#3 of 10 Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted October 14 2009 - 01:45 PM

This is the one I hope to get myself in April: http://www.svsound.c...yl-pc12_nsd.cfm This sub should give all the bass you could want. From everything I've read, from people that own SVS subs and speakers, they have the best customer service too.
Good luck with whatever you get.

Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#4 of 10 MaxL

MaxL

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted October 14 2009 - 03:44 PM

i have to mention my little dynamo again.  the 10" dynamo and it's larger sibling, the abyss (12") are sealed subs from martin logan.  they are currently being replaced by new models and so can be found on sale at audioadvisor and saturdayaudio.

i have not listened to the internet direct subs form svs, epik, ED, HSU and others.  they will spec better (lower and louder) in general at any given price point.  but the dynamo sounds great to my ears and i cannot recommend it highly enough.

good luck

HT: Marantz SR8000, PSB Alpha B fronts, Alpha C center, CSW Newton S200 surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo Sub, Marantz DVD, Sony CRT TV

Stereos include vintage Sony receivers/amps into vintage AR and KEF speakers.

#5 of 10 David Willow

David Willow

Babbling Idiot

• 1,986 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted October 15 2009 - 01:31 AM

Check out the B-Stock page at SVS - https://svsound.com/...&category_ID=12

There's always something there in your price range.  You can get a great deal if you don't mind small blemishes...

#6 of 10 rdb1960

rdb1960

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted October 15 2009 - 10:17 AM

I set up my first real home theater system in early 2009.  I selected Klipsch reference series speakers for everything except my sub.  After seeking advice on this forum, I selected an SVS PB12-Plus as giving more bang for the buck than Klipsch when it comes to subs.  I have been extremely pleased with my choice.  The model I chose is a bit above your indicated price range ($1,150), but they do have models that are in your price range, and because they build a lot of their components in-house, I expect that the less expensive models are also very high quality.  They offer a 45 day money-back satisfaction guarantee, so I don't see how you can go wrong giving them a shot.  If your experience is anything like mine, you'll be glad you did.

#7 of 10 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,522 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted October 15 2009 - 10:41 AM

SVS is an excellent choice.  The PC-12 and the PB-12 are both in your range as well and even the smaller sealed SB-12 Plus is.  I would also recommend HSU Research in your price range.  The VTF-3 Mk3 in black is definitely in your range.

HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#8 of 10 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,522 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted October 15 2009 - 10:41 AM

double post for some reason.

HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#9 of 10 Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,028 posts

Posted October 15 2009 - 03:16 PM

I have heard an SVS sub that belonged to a HTF member a few years ago and it was really good.  Just hoping to improve my financial situation sometime soon so I can actually get a sub.  I would like to thank everyone that responded to the thread with there input, very much appreciated.  

I will defiantly look into SVS and Elemental Designs both.  I know Martin Logan makes a great product but do they make anything in my price range that will do what I want it to do?

I see that Fry's Electronics is a dealer so its off to Fry's I go to check them out and see how much they are. 
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#10 of 10 werty7777

werty7777

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted October 15 2009 - 04:12 PM

Dave,
For a room that big the Martin Logan Dynamo is not going to cut it. I just got rid of mine and moved to the SVS PC12 Plus. Though the PC12 Plus is a little out of your range I would bet that the lower models will outperform the Dynamo as well. My room was around the same size as yours and the Dynamo struggled to keep up. In fact, I had to attach to the LFE input of my Def Tech 2004 TL's, which has the built in powered subs, in order to supplement the bass when I was using the Dynamo. Once I hooked up the SVS the Def Tech's just made the bass "muddy" or "dirty". Subjective I would guess but the point is I didn't need to use the LFE input of the Def Techs any longer because the deep clean bass of the SVS was more than enough. I was really wondering why everyone on this site was recommending a sub that I couldn't hear before purchasing. I thought it was fishy until I got one myself. I'm no expert but I haven't heard anything in any store that could compare, especially for the money. For what it's worth I had last year's model of the Dynamo, now ML has three different models of the Dynamo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users