What's new

A Brief History of the Deep Discount Fall Sale... (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Since the economy's down, time are tough, and I've got a few titles I'm interested in, I am planning a little further ahead than usual and decided to research the dates of DD's regular November Sale.

And I know people tend to anticipate this sale and questions often start hitting the forum weeks in advance (and it's not altogether a bad idea to start putting together wish lists!).

Here's what we've seen in recent years:

November 14, 2004 through November 20, 2004
November 11, 2005 through November 19, 2005
November 9, 2006 through November 18, 2006 (extended to November 23)
November 9, 2007 through November 25, 2007
November 6, 2008 through November 23, 2008

All of those sales were 20% off sales--save 2008 when the discount climbed to 25% off.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

Strange that the one time they offer 25% off is the one time I order NOTHING.
Actually, it was 25% during the summer one also, so maybe that's their new trend going forward?

As for the fall sale this year, yeah, I'm guessing they're gonna push it later -- and may have actually planned it that way when they pushed the summer sale later also. Perhaps, they're shooting to include Black Friday into the sale period since BF got so big (and extended) at various other online and B&M outlets. Maybe they'll start a week before BF and then run into the beginning of Dec or something. OR maybe they'll simply wait until *after* BF in order to grab more Dec holiday sales since the sale doesn't work as the kind of loss leader into other types of sales like done for most other online and B&M outlets. They sell some books and CDs, but those are basically the only other kinds of items unlike most other outlets. So they're not running the same kind of BF-like loss leader anyway.

_Man_

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
They can't push it too late or they risk losing to other sources of people will spend money somewhere on Christmas gifts (or catching new releases for themselves).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Albert_M

They can't push it too late or they risk losing to other sources of people will spend money somewhere on Christmas gifts (or catching new releases for themselves).
I don't know. There are plenty of late-ish shoppers -- and they're probably the ones more willing to pay a bit more (well, at least more so than the BF crowd anyway). And shopping in December for Christmas is not exactly late although you'd probably need to do it in the first week or so to be reasonably safe for DDD's free shipping option -- of course, you can always opt to pay for faster shipping too.

The other thing though is running the sale later would help us catch more (just-in-time-for-the-holidays) new releases for the sale since they don't allow preorders.

Perhaps, pushing to after the BF week will help them avoid having to compete w/ all the BF sales (or people's expectations based on the impending BF sales).

Guess we'll have to wait and see...

_Man_

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ehhhhh...whaddayou care anyways?!?

You've got a convenient guy-down-the-street willing to sell you legit releases at discount prices anyway. So what if you don't have a Wal-Mart anywhere near-by?!?

Personally, I hope they don't wait TOO long to have their fall sale. But, then again, I don't have much money to spend...

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

Thanks for starting this thread. Interesting info on previous sales. I've been buying at the semi-annual DD sales for several years and am watching the Bd for the Nov sale dates. I'd rather them start the sale close to the dates that they've used in past sales since I'm an early holiday shopper.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
you will know as soon as it starts the news will spread like a wild fire.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
There is talk on the Forum at www.dvdtalk.com that the Sale will begin this Friday.....

There's one little "Catch", The Discount (40%) will be off the MSRP.

I let you all post your comments.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Regulus

There is talk on the Forum at www.dvdtalk.com that the Sale will begin this Friday.....

There's one little "Catch", The Discount (40%) will be off the MSRP.
All I've got to say is, "Hmmmmmmmmm." Wonder why they're changing the rules?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

All I've got to say is, "Hmmmmmmmmm." Wonder why they're changing the rules?
To make more money.

IF that's the way the sale works, people are not going to be happy. I don't blame anyone for being dissapointed by the change (eventhough 40% off MSRP isn't that bad) but Deep Discount doesn't owe anyone a sale.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
If that's the case, it will hardly be a sale at all.

Let me amend that thought. I've been checking on the DD site, and if that's the new rule for the sale, some items will have a minimal discount, others will be cheaper than they would be using the old rules.

I guess they've just made things more complicated.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Let's hope that it is the 20% extra discount like before. Otherwise I will not be ordering as many sets as I had planned.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Not really that complicated. Their after-discount sales prices weren't always better than everyone else. I always comparison shopped using DVD Price Search and a calculator before making a purchase.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TravisR /forum/thread/293926/a-brief-history-of-the-deep-discount-fall-sale#post_3626259

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
That's what I mean. It's going to require a lot more comparison shopping this go-round.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks