-

Photo
- - - - -

HTF DVD REVIEW: Girlfriends: The Complete Seventh Season

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,633 posts

Posted October 13 2009 - 03:27 PM

http://static.hometh...lfriends7.jpg"> 
Studio:  CBS Television Studios
Year: 2006/7
US Rating: Not Rated
Film Length: 7 Hours 40 Minutes
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1 – Enhanced for 16X9 TVs
Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound, English Stereo
Subtitles:
I am perpetually disappointed by the lack of diversity on television and in film. From what we are presented with on network television, and on cinema screens from Tacoma, Washington to Trenton, New Jersey, it would seem to suggest that America is made up of 98% white folk, most of who have multiple white friends, with a token black guy or Asian girl. That may seem a little hyperbolic, but seriously – what’s the deal? A show like Girlfriends, while not the best written or performed show that even an upstart, mini-network like the CW has aired, is such a rare gem – sharing the antics and anguish of four African American woman – that it must be celebrated just for making it to the air – and sticking around. Sure, you can find a show here and there that focuses on an African American cast – but if you can count them on more than one hand, you have access to more channels than I do – and I don’t count Martin reruns either.
The show, a standard sitcom formula – sets, audience, predictable shenanigans, in its seventh season follows Joan Clayton (Tracee Ellis Ross), a by-the-book type A personality with a penchant for getting in too deep with men too quickly, Maya Wilkes (Golden Brooks), a feisty, self-help author (her book was called “Oh Hell Yeah”) who has a hard time ‘keeping up with the joneses, and Lynn Searcy (Persia White) – a hopeless unemployable free-spirit with a PhD in mooching. The fourth ‘girlfriend’, the inexorable self-serving Toni Childs (Jill Marie Jones), exited the show at the end of the sixth season following a spat with Joan. Their friend, William Dent, a proud a geek and a typical man (with an innate ability to associate everything back to money or sex) provides a little testosterone balance to the mix – though not much. The other major male cast member, Maya’s mechanic husband Darnell (Khalil Kain), provides the real masculine balance.

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection