Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Genesis Speaker cable question?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Mike<> C

Mike<> C

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted October 13 2009 - 08:12 AM

Genesis Cable Systems Audacous, 16/2, oxygen free does anyone know anything about this cable, is it any good?

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   David Willow

David Willow

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted October 13 2009 - 11:37 AM

http://www.monoprice...102&cp_id=10239

There, I just saved you $100.  I'll send a link to my Amazon wish list if you really want to spend it anyway /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

I’m training to run a marathon for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, to raise life-saving funds to help those fighting blood cancers. Please help! See details and donation link here.

Dolby and DTS Plaques (downloads)
Audyssey Setup Guide

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Screenwriter

• 2,798 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted October 13 2009 - 07:38 PM

Mike - Raw speaker cable is best bought from a hardware store (read: Lowes, Home Depot, etc... or places like Monoprice as David has alluded to) in spools where you will pay 25 - 35 cents a foot. For a finished cable, if you pay over a dollar a foot, you are overpaying. Some can be had for 50 - 75 cents a foot online.

Just an example: I was looking for a passive USB extension cable last year. Best Buy carried a 6' Belkin cable for somewhere in the neighborhood of $40. I bought a 10' cable from a company on Amazon for $2.99 shipped. It's all in where you look.

Oh yeah... For future reference, don't believe anything Monster Cable tells you about their wires/cables. They are the BOSE of the interconnect world.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted October 14 2009 - 01:27 AM

I use 14 AWG speaker wire I bought from Lowe's. A 100 ft. spool was about $25. It works very well. No reason to spend big bucks for wire or cables.

Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted October 14 2009 - 02:55 AM

Quote:
 Genesis Cable Systems Audacous,
The correct term should be Audacious, because that's what they are for charging $600+ for a piece of copper and plastic that cost them 1/10,000 of that to manufacture.  Even more accurate would be calling them Genesis Cable Systems Grand Theft.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, invented in the last 100 years of copper wire manufacturing that can justify charging $1.00+ per foot.