What's new

Optoma HD65 DLP 720p OR Mitsubishi HC1600 720p (1 Viewer)

Whyask

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
Just as the title reads. I cant decided, I have 20 days before my nice check from uncle sam (military travel pay) and my budget is just under 750 bucks for a projector. Ive been reading sooooo many reviews ( litteraly countless hours at night) and im stuck between these two. Both projectors are really good for what i want (blue ray). NOW , my HT room is only 9 ft wide and 12.5ft long. I have a 84" Elite Screen already mounted. The room has little to no light at all comming in. The Projector will be on a shelf 8 ft off the ground since my celling is at 9 ft. Any opions are welcome as to wich one to choose ! Thanks yall ( i rent a house so i cant destroy the celing = reason for shelf)

V/R
-Justin

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I would get the HD65. They've both gotten good reviews, but the Mits. only has a 2X color wheel speed. You are more likely to see rainbows with the Mits. due to this. Do you know you can't place either of them upright on a shelf that high? What you would need to do is mount the projector upside down, on the underside of shelf. The shelf would be acting as your ceiling mount.

Whyask

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
WOW you cant set them on a shelf... whats the reason for the that ? That seems kinda "gey"..... If i have to i guess i can mount the damn thing to the roof what a really good mount for the HD65

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
If you want to place the projector on a shelf, sitting upright, you need an LCD with lens shift. It would be a lot easier to just mount the HD65 to the bottom of the shelf, upside down.

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
I would'nt get either, I would go the extra mile and go for 1080p BenQ W1000 or Optoma HD20.

Whyask

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
hahah Yeh but the wife says budget has to be under 750 ! hence the reason for those two pics !

Whyask

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
SO all i can find is these 2 projectors with in my budget I have 2 more weeks before i drop the hammer ! Any pro or cons for each one..??

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I've owned a HD65 for about a year now and *love* it. The picture it produces is very pleasing and it has been (mostly) maintenance-free. There are no air filters to clean which is a big plus.

What the other posters in this thread are stating, though, is true: You won't be able to easily shelf mount it. I have mine mounted on the wall near the ceiling. The unit only weighs about 4.5 pounds so it's very easy to do that. One thing that can help you with the installation is that even though the projector doesn't have lens shift, it does have electronic image shift which works very well and doesn't add any video artifacts to the picture. Just try to stay way from using the "Keystone" adjustment if you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks