Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF Blu-ray Review: NATURAL BORN KILLERS: Unrated Director's Cut

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted October 11 2009 - 12:15 PM

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,070 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 11 2009 - 03:58 PM

Thanks for getting me to spend another $20 this week, Michael.

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   JosephJohnson

JosephJohnson

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted October 11 2009 - 07:59 PM

Michael,

I usually don't respond to Blu-Ray reviews, but I wanted to take a moment to let you know that you knocked this one right out of the park. This is an excellent critique of the film, and a great summary of this latest edition. I guess I'll have to still hold on to my old 1996 Pioneer set for the music video I've owned almost every incarnation of this film with the exception of VHS! I just wish Warner could cut us a deal with a rebate or coupon for those of us who foolishly purchased the other Blu-Ray last year.
Again, thanks, Michael for an excellent review!

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,655 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted October 11 2009 - 10:50 PM

Excellent review Michael. I watched my region one directors cut dvd again a few months ago.

A 90's favourite and another film I look forward to 'eventually' buying on blu-ray.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

My DVD and Blu-ray Blog

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Shane D

Shane D

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted October 12 2009 - 02:16 AM

did it really come out saturday?

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,833 posts

Posted October 12 2009 - 02:23 AM

To my surprise, I just discovered that I didn't buy last year's BD. (Well done!)
So, I have every moral right to order this one.

Thanks, Michael, for the splendid review of the movie.

Cees

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted October 12 2009 - 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Shane D 

did it really come out saturday?

No, that was a typo, which has now been fixed. Thanks!

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Shane D

Shane D

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted October 12 2009 - 05:28 AM

yeah good review. after reading it went to amazon and ordered it, 19.99 there, all i have is the non anamophic dvd that came out years ago so this is a no brainer upgrade, also ordered married with children season 11 which also comes out tomorrrow.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,882 posts

Posted October 12 2009 - 04:29 PM

Think I'll need to give this a rent -- for some reason, I thought I had seen the DC before, but maybe it was just the deleted scenes I saw.  Still, I thought the theatrical version was disturbing enough (w/out going quite too far) and got the message across just fine (to me anyway) -- unless I remembered wrong and am actually thinking of the DC itself.  I still haven't gotten around to watching my BD of the theatrical version yet though -- and it has indeed been a long time since I last watched it (on DVD) due largely to the (lack of) WAF.

Either way, to each his own I guess (regarding which works better or just about right)...

But thanks for the excellently detailed review, Michael, along w/ some interesting commentary on the film itself.   It certainly made me want to give the DC a(nother) spin at minimum...

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (Apostle Paul)

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,300 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted October 12 2009 - 06:08 PM

Michael,

Terrific review! I haven't seen NBK since its theatrical release, but now I have to see this cut.

The soundtrack for NBK also includes one of the strangest collaborations ever, an instrumental piece co-written by Duane Eddy and Ravi Shankar. Eddy plays lead guitar and he is backed by George Harrison.

Rich Gallagher

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Joseph Young

Joseph Young

Screenwriter

• 1,355 posts

Posted October 13 2009 - 11:51 AM

Michael, this is probably the best written and most comprehensive write-up of NBK I've read yet.  Great job. 

I caught NBK in the theater 'back in the day' and later on television in various incarnations.  I already own the DVD version released just a couple of years ago... not sure if the material contained in this BD release is hugely different from that version or worth upgrading for.

Stone's liberal use of color, film stock and filming processes, along with the intense material, has made this one polarizing movie.  Some find it an abomination.  Others find it an an eeily prescient and post post modern film that both summed up and deconstructed the future of cinema in that decade, before it was even halfway over.

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,780 posts

Posted October 17 2009 - 04:54 PM

Got this today and watched most of it and while I'm mostly happy, man, there is some AWFUL gate-weave in the opening few minutes.  Look at the Warner logo and the first titles that are overlaid on the image, they just jump around from side to side, it was really annoying to me.  Did the R-rated Blu-ray suffer from this, too?

Vincent

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted October 17 2009 - 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Vincent_P [url=/forum/thread/293844/htf-blu-ray-review-natural-born-killers-unrated-director-s-cut#post_3618629]

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   gomezfan69

gomezfan69

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted October 17 2009 - 11:03 PM

I noticed the shaking in the opening too. The R-rated blu-ray does not suffer from this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users