Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF DVD REVIEW: TCM Spotlight: Esther Williams, Vol. 2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,093 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted October 09 2009 - 07:36 AM

http://static.hometh...g8U1xZUZL.jpg">

TCM Spotlight: Esther Williams Vol. 2

Thrill Of A Romance (1945), Fiesta (1947), This Time For Keeps (1947), Pagan Love Song (1950), Million Dollar Mermaid (1952), Easy To Love(1953)

Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Richard M S

Richard M S

Supporting Actor

• 633 posts

Posted October 10 2009 - 04:28 PM

Great review, thanks!

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   JeremyFox

JeremyFox

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted October 10 2009 - 05:14 PM

Thanks very much for this review. I've just received this second volume.  Now, i'm waiting for the third.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,093 posts

Posted October 10 2009 - 09:47 PM

I have subsequently been informed that "Easy to Love" was a hybrid presentation with portions shot in both three strip Technicolor and Eastman film stock.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts

Posted October 10 2009 - 10:53 PM

Ken, in the filmed outtakes, that is Esther Williams singing for herself.   When the original soundtrack came out at the time of the film,  it was estheres voice on the album,  but in the film, she is dubbed by Betty Wand.  Betty also sang for Rita Moreno in West Side story and  for Leslie  Caron in Gigi.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,512 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted October 16 2009 - 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_McAlinden 

Wild and Woolfy (7:36) - 1945 Technicolor ... The audio on this cartoon seems to have a strange phasing effect applied to it.

I watched "Thrill of a Romance" last night and found it to be completely charming, colorful entertainment, despite the slimmest plotline you could imagine.

But the cartoon, Wild and Woolfy, on this disc has the weirdest sound I have ever heard on a professionally pressed DVD!  It is, as Ken says, out of phase, creating that pseudo-stereo effect one often heard applied to mono tracks decades ago.  But it's far worse than that.  The dialogue track is confined to the left channel only and the right channel has what sounds like added layers of music not heard in the original mix.  And the hiss on the soundtrack is terrible.  The whole thing is an inexcusable, unlistenable mess.  I can't imagine where this track came from and why it's on this disc.  "Wild and Woolfy" has been out many times before on tape, laserdisc and the Droopy DVD and it's never sounded like this.  I'd love to hear comments from someone with some knowledge of audio mixing.  What the heck is going on?

The movie itself looked and sounded lovely.  A handful of shots had slight registration problems but nothing severe.  Overall, it had that Technicolor allure that made the whole thing pure eye candy.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,093 posts

Posted October 16 2009 - 06:14 AM

It is bad any way you cut it, but it is especially bad if you happen to have any kind of pro-logic type surround processing engaged.  Believe it or not, the Barney Bear cartoon "Cops and Robbers" on Easy to Love sounds even weirder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Ray View Post

The whole thing is an inexcusable, unlistenable mess.  

Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Richard M S

Richard M S

Supporting Actor

• 633 posts

Posted October 04 2010 - 03:57 AM

Since it has been a year since the last DVD release, has anyone heard anything about Warners releasing a final volume of the Esther Williams Collection with :

TEXAS CARNIVAL

SKIRTS AHOY

DUCHESS OF IDAHO

JUPITER'S DARLING

and maybe A GUY NAMED JOE (a classic) and THE HOODLUM SAINT + INFLATION, a movie short which was her screen debut?

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   JeremyFox

JeremyFox

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted October 04 2010 - 04:53 AM

Yes please an answer ; I want this boxset !! It would be marvellous if it was announced for next year !