Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Youmail and the iPhone

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,065 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted October 09 2009 - 12:45 AM

Ever since I got an iPhone I have been plagued with calls from telemarketers and bill collectors looking for the previous owner of my phone number. I had gotten to the point where they were calling 10+ times a day. At first I would just let it go to voicemail but after a while I just wanted to make them stop calling.

I then ran across youmail.com, which is a visual voicemail service for mobile phones. What I immediately liked about it was that you could assign different voicemail greetings to certain numbers. For instance, if a certain 800 number telemarketer keeps calling, just assign them the disconnected number greeting. After their autodialer hears the disconnected tones, your number is removed from the database. Bye bye telemarketing calls.

I also set up a new contact in my iPhone contact list called telemarketers and assigned them a silent ringtone. That way I never hear the ring and it goes straight to the voicemail.

Now my junk calls are down to 1-2 a week. Soon I have a feeling they will completely disappear. Now if I could just do something about SMS spam...

Edit: I forgot to mention that there is a free youmail app that lets you check your voicemail on your iPhone. Works like a champ. :)

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,065 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted June 29 2010 - 05:29 AM

Just an update:

It's been about 8 months and my telemarketing calls have stopped completely. So it would appear my solution was a success. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

I wish Apple would offer the ability to assign custom voicemail greetings for different callers from within its own voicemail system. Maybe it will happen in a future update.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,328 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted June 29 2010 - 06:28 AM

My wife is getting increasing amounts of robocallers. I'm very interested in checking this out. Thx for the tip.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,064 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted June 29 2010 - 08:26 AM

I've been using YouMail for a while on the blackberry for a while, and it is golden.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,245 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted June 30 2010 - 06:05 AM

Googlevoice does this also from what i have read.

facebook.com/whotony

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,051 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted July 03 2010 - 02:56 AM

Just a heads up, Google Voice is out of the closed beta so anyone can sign up.

-Keith

As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.