What's new

The Rookies (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
No indication yet whether the pilot movie with Darren McGavin instead of O'Laughlin, is included. But it's nice to see yet another "one and done" show from the 70s restarted .

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
That's the last of the four titles Shout was resuming (referring to a TVShowsOnDVD news article posted on their website on October 14th last year, posted in post #84 of the Shout! Factory TV Shows thread) - Here Come the Brides, Police Woman, S.W.A.T. and The Rookies - so hopefully this second season set of The Rookies sells well enough for the third season to be released (which includes the pilot movie of S.W.A.T.). That leaves the pilot movie of The Rookies (this doesn't count the other pilots from the remainder of the 70's series of Police Story (the pilot episodes which brought the two series Joe Forrester and David Cassidy - Man Undercover)

With there being 23 episodes in The Rookies' second season, there being six discs in the set is great. If Shout were able to include The Rookies pilot movie in the set, it would be like 25 episodes over six discs (counting the pilot movie as the length of two regular episodes), that would still be fine.

Will Green

Grip
Real Name
Will
I'm happy for the fans of this show, but sad that sales of the entirely different level of quality Police Story have, apparently, not merited a Season 2 release.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
If these pilots aren't included in these Shout releases, perhaps Sony can release them as MODs (and handled via Warner) like they've done with other Columbia TV movies.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The TVShowsOnDVD news article about the second season of The Rookies, posted in post #12, has been updated with 3D front cover artwork for the set.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Great news! The pilot movie for The Rookies will be included in Shout's second season DVD set (new TVShowsOnDVD news article posted today about Shout's fact sheet for the set).

Got to do our bit (those who are going to get (or are interested in) the set) and help to get the second season set sell well enough for Shout to release the third season, which includes the pilot movie for S.W.A.T.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
WaveCrest said:
Great news! The pilot movie for The Rookies will be included in Shout's second season DVD set (new TVShowsOnDVD news article posted today about Shout's fact sheet for the set).
Got to do our bit (those who are going to get (or are interested in) the set) and help to get the second season set sell well enough for Shout to release the third season, which includes the pilot movie for S.W.A.T.
Agreed!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Neil Brock said:
I will do my part by buying the set. The good thing is there is only 2 more season to be released. I would like to see Mannix completed this year and maybe next year see the Rookies Completed. Then there are other 1970s shows i like to see such as Serpico, O'Hara Treasury Agent, Matt Helm, etc.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I will certainly buy it too, supporting classic TV on DVD is important. And speaking of O'Hara U.S. Treasury, I think it's one of those shows there's a good chance we could see released eventually with the new Timeless/Shout merging.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by HenryDuBrow /t/293768/the-rookies#post_3927544
I will certainly buy it too, supporting classic TV on DVD is important. And speaking of O'Hara U.S. Treasury, I think it's one of those shows there's a good chance we could see released eventually with the new Timeless/Shout merging.

With Police Story's future on DVD uncertain, what I was saying in my previous post wasn't a demand ("you must buy The Rookies: Season 2!"). It was said to those who are interested in the show and it's releases on DVD. Unless the second season of The Rookies sells very well indeed and the third season gets fast-tracked (like when Kojak's third and fourth seasons got released within a short space of time, after the second season was released in September last year), then the third season I'm guessing won't get released until early next year. Would like to be proven wrong though. Just that if the third season of The Rookies is released, that's another TV pilot/pilot movie released and crossed off the list.

Will go off topic briefly, as this thread is about The Rookies, but with classic TV I'm mainly interested in detective series. And of the sets Timeless has released, I've only got the Brenner set and am considering getting the 87th Precinct set coming out this summer.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
younger1968 said:
I will do my part by buying the set. The good thing is there is only 2 more season to be released. I would like to see Mannix completed this year and maybe next year see the Rookies Completed. Then there are other 1970s shows i like to see such as Serpico, O'Hara Treasury Agent, Matt Helm, etc.
Well, my sources indicate that you will definitely get your wish on Mannix. Serpico is CBS and there are tape masters so possibly as a BOD title. That show ran on a local cable network here around 10-12 years ago, complete and uncut. Matt Helm is Sony and that show was one of the LBS syndicated series. O'Hara ran as part of a 5-series package of failed shows that Universal sold to A&E, along with Mrs. Columbo, City of Angels, Delvecchio and Ellery Queen, which has already been released. So we know those shows are on tape but whether or not they burned in the fire we don't know.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Neil Brock said:
Well, my sources indicate that you will definitely get your wish on Mannix. Serpico is CBS and there are tape masters so possibly as a BOD title. That show ran on a local cable network here around 10-12 years ago, complete and uncut. Matt Helm is Sony and that show was one of the LBS syndicated series. O'Hara ran as part of a 5-series package of failed shows that Universal sold to A&E, along with Mrs. Columbo, City of Angels, Delvecchio and Ellery Queen, which has already been released. So we know those shows are on tape but whether or not they burned in the fire we don't know.
Thanks for your posting!
I have Ellery Queen it is neat watching show, especially following the evidence. It is type of show you could have a who done it party at your house with to discuss each episode.
I am a classic cop drama and it is that reason that i listed the aforementioned shows. Some of the shows in my list are off the cough and may not see the light of day. Howeveer, it does not change my preference, especially as it relates to my tv taste!

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I will be picking up season 2 of the Rookies. One of my very favorites from the early 70s.
With Shout Factory finishing off so many abandoned titles, I wonder if there is any chance they might pick up Baretta. It's been YEARS since the season one release.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have watch a few episodes of S2 and they are well scripted/acted. The key character varies from episode to episode, i.e Danko focus or Webster focus or Davis focus, etc. Ryker character is very good as well as he is like the father figure for the rookies. I am still amazed how Kate Jackson look at 24 years of age!!
The supporting guest actors are great as well. I watched an episode with Victor French as prisoner.
I remember a posting earlier that person felt this show is to localized to the time period. I did not see that in what i have seen between S1 and S2. I have seen very relevant subjects, like prisoner wanting their revenge on the arresting officer, the rookies mistakes (i.e. brushing off calls or not properly checking for suspects or picking up evidence without the proper search warrant, etc.
I just hope we do not have to wait another 4 years for the S3 to come out. Long live classic police dramas!!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Thanks Randy!
I would take young Kate Jackson or Jaclyn Smith or Farah Fawcett or Raquel Welch over Megan Fox/Kristin Stewart any day of week. Kate was great because she never over exposed herself. She is usually in street cloths or her nursing outfit. I am glad as a kid i was able to watch these many actresses in their youth and/or prime. I still have discussions with my girlfriend, who is brunette on the reason that i like brunettes. I showed her pictures of Phoebe Cates, Jacklyn Smith, Kate Jackson, etc.
I hope that release more of Rookies as it is one of my favourite police show and i have it up there with Miami Vice, Streets of San Francisco, Starsky & Hutch or Adam-12, etc. Love live classic shows!!

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
younger1968 said:
Thanks Randy!
I would take young Kate Jackson or Jaclyn Smith or Farah Fawcett or Raquel Welch over Megan Fox/Kristin Stewart any day of week. Kate was great because she never over exposed herself. She is usually in street cloths or her nursing outfit. I am glad as a kid i was able to watch these many actresses in their youth and/or prime. I still have discussions with my girlfriend, who is brunette on the reason that i like brunettes. I showed her pictures of Phoebe Cates, Jacklyn Smith, Kate Jackson, etc.
I hope that release more of Rookies as it is one of my favourite police show and i have it up there with Miami Vice, Streets of San Francisco, Starsky & Hutch or Adam-12, etc. Love live classic shows!!
I'm with you on your list of actresses with one exception-Farrah Fawcett. I was never in to her. But Kate jackson always did it for me. Besides the Rookies, I remember her from several made for tv movies i.e. Killer Bees, Satan School for Girls. oh I almost forgot her time on Dark Shadows. I never understood why on Charlie's Angels they made her the cute looking nerd. She can hold her own with any of them.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Saw Farrah recently in an early 1975 S.WA.T. episode where she left no real acting impression on me, not that she was great in Charlie's Angels either but I guess she got better.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
HenryDuBrow said:
Saw Farrah recently in an early 1975 S.WA.T. episode where she left no real acting impression on me, not that she was great in Charlie's Angels either but I guess she got better.
Farah's poster is what help her career not her acting. I remember watching Cannonball Run and she was horrible. She was also bad in few episodes as the 6MM love interest.
Kate Jackson was smart, but attractive. The Charlie's Angels role was good, but did not show enough of her compassion and/or beauty as the rookies did for her image.
Gerald o'Louglin was also amazing as the skipper for the Rookies. He really added the father figure role to his character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks