-

Photo
- - - - -

Excessive Popping on brand new Onkyo SR506

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   mcthings

mcthings

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted October 08 2009 - 01:11 PM

I just received an Onkyo 506 from TigerDirect. I hooked it up to my Uverse and PS3 using Toslink, and my AppleTV using just the Red/White analog cables. All video is HDMI, and everything is hooked up to a surge protector.

I'm getting excessive popping from all 5 speakers (no sub installed). I tested all inputs, and the popping comes from all inputs.

What the heck is going on? The Onkyo says nothing about popping in the troubleshooting chapter of the manual.

Thanks,

Matt

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted October 09 2009 - 01:51 AM

Are we talking about clicking noises from the receiver when changing inputs or codecs (i.e. switching from Cab/Sat to DVD inputs,, or DD to DTS), or is there actual "popping" noises in the speakers while audio is playing?  The former is normal, the latter is not.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   mcthings

mcthings

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted October 09 2009 - 05:20 AM

It is actual popping from the speakers while trying to watch TV. At first, it would pop a little bit while watching TV... but now, it won't even play the TV sound, it's just all popping. The display is flashing between the Pro Logic II abbreviation and the Dolby D abbreviation, and all I hear is cracking. This happens while tryin to watch Uverse, PS3, or AppleTV. Video is fine, but it's constant popping. The popping volume goes up and down with the volume control.

It is not just a pop or snap from switching inputs.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   mcthings

mcthings

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted October 09 2009 - 05:20 AM

Edit : Double post. Not sure how to delete it, sorry about that.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Andy_Saunders

Andy_Saunders

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted October 10 2009 - 12:03 AM

Is the amp in a enclosure, I had a 605 that would get hot and pop, moving the shelf down one peg in the enclosure and adding some silent pc fans eliminated the pops forever... I am not sure this will help now that the popping you have is not playing sounds from the source anymore it may be time to warrantee that beast
"When theres no more room in hell
the dead will walk the earth"

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   mcthings

mcthings

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted October 10 2009 - 05:36 AM

It's not in any especially enclosed area, just an Ikea TV stand with an open back. The unit wasn't getting noticeably hot, but I'll check it out on Sunday (i'm out of town for the weekend).

TigerDirect said they could only give me my money back, and not replace the unit. Should I call Onkyo? It is a brand new unit... 

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   David Willow

David Willow

Screenwriter

• 1,992 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted October 10 2009 - 06:31 AM

Sounds like a bad receiver. 

One thing to try is Audssey EQ (the auto setup).  If you haven't tried it, give it shot.  If you have, try turning it off. 

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   mcthings

mcthings

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted October 10 2009 - 07:04 AM

I did do the Audssey EQ... I'll try turning it off, but I think you're right... just a bad receiver.