What's new

Digital copies that come with Blu-Ray actually expire (2 Viewers)

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Hi all,
I bought Risky Business on Blu-Ray and popped in the digital copy DVD that came with it, only to be told that the offer expired. EXPIRED.
Apparently, the offer expired on Sept. 16 but they still sell the discs, so if you have any digital copies lying around, it would be best to get them taken care of ASAP.
But this is what I don't understand - why bother expiring a DIGITAL COPY? What does WB lose if the offer expires Sept. 16, 2009 or Sept. 16, 3009? They're not losing money off this.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I imagine they don't want to devote online resources to hosting them indefinitely. However, yeah, one would think they should host the DCs for longer than merely a year or so, especially if they're gonna tout them as special features and possibly charge a little extra for them.

_Man_

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
The movie comes on a disc, all they need to do is host the validation, which doesn't take up a lot of resources.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
So is this expiration prominently displayed on the packaging?? If not, this would appear to be a pretty blatant case of false labeling.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Originally Posted by LarryH

So is this expiration prominently displayed on the packaging?? If not, this would appear to be a pretty blatant case of false labeling.
I know that at least on some titles, like Dark City, it is. I was wondering if any company was going to actually pull that. Apparently the answer is "yes".

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by ATimson ">[/url]

I know that at least on some titles, like [i]Dark City[/i], it is. I was wondering if any company was going to actually pull that. Apparently the answer is "yes".
[/QUOTE]I don't remember any of them labeling an expiration date on the outside, but then again, I didn't look carefully for that. I'm pretty sure if it was labeled, it'd be on some sticker on the plastic shrinkwrap, which would be thrown out as soon as you open the BD. Well, I suppose it could also be stuck to a slipcover in some cases, but I really don't remember seeing expiration dates for those either.

I've personally only ever noticed/seen the expiration notice in the DC paper insert (w/ the code) inside the case.

Sounds like this could easily become cause for some class action suit against the studios.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Mike_G

The movie comes on a disc, all they need to do is host the validation, which doesn't take up a lot of resources.
True that at least for most cases near as I can tell. Some people have reported that some DCs require actual download of the DC content, not just authentication, though I don't know if that's really true.

_Man_

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
My Dark City is still wrapped. It says "BONUS DIGITAL COPY" (open here for full restrictions). Of course you then have to open it in the store to read it, which lessens the adhesive. Anyway, inside it says it expires on July 29, 2009.

Lame.

I mean, they go through the trouble of MAKING it, why not just allow people to download it?

I took pics of the label, but I'm too tired to go through the trouble of posting it to flickr.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I wish we didn't have to pay for these when buying some Blu-ray titles. I don't use them yet have no option to spend less and get a Blu-ray without a digi-copy.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons

I took pics of the label, but I'm too tired to go through the trouble of posting it to flickr.
Mike,

On this new platform, you can upload a picture directly when posting.

(And, lame indeed, to have the DC expiring.)

Cees

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Virtually all digital copies that I have received with my Blu-rays (I'd say about 30-40 or so) expire approx. 1 year after release. It's always hidden in the fine print. Basically that means that after 1 year you have another worthless coaster lying around. Yup, real environment-friendly. But hey... at least we have eco-friendly packaging now. ;)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Yet another reason why "digital copies" are just a gimmick, not to mention a waste of everyone's time. I have never known anyone to use them. If they want to go this route, a better way is Disney's added DVD copy of the film, which lets people use that in a car for kids, or on a TV without a BD, etc.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I competely agree with Sam. Personally, I would get much more use out of a DVD copy than a "digital" copy, in which I have precisely zero interest.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I know one guy who uses them. I usually give mine to him. I have no interest in watching movies on a teeny screen.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I've never tried a digital copy so I don't know how "gimmicky" it is. I can tell you that my Macbook Pro doesn't have a Blu-Ray drive, so I think the word "gimmicky" is off here.

At least until I can watch movies directly on my laptop.

And even then, I like to watch movies while at the gym to pass time. When you've seen a movie 1000x, you're not lessening the experience by watching it on an iPhone.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Yeah, I too wish more studios would just include the DVD version like Disney does, instead of a DC, if they really want to do something like that. But oh well...

_Man_

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I've never tried a digital copy so I don't know how "gimmicky" it is. I can tell you that my Macbook Pro doesn't have a Blu-Ray drive, so I think the word "gimmicky" is off here.

Digital Copy is distributed on a standard-def DVD. It doesn't require a Blu-ray drive or player.

Andrew Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Pierce
All the more reason we need to be able to rip and resample these things to play on whatever hardware we like, like we can with DVDs. You bought it, you own it, and I don't care what the RIAA says. So now we just need some enterprising Blu-Ray-Jon to come along and let us have it.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Originally Posted by Andrew Pierce

All the more reason we need to be able to rip and resample these things to play on whatever hardware we like, like we can with DVDs. You bought it, you own it, and I don't care what the RIAA says. So now we just need some enterprising Blu-Ray-Jon to come along and let us have it.
Unfortunately, Blu-ray was designed so that manufacturers can continually update the security. Many older discs can be ripped already, though.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Remember that discussion of violating corporate policies is forbidden here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks