Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HTF DVD REVIEW: Flashpoint: The First Season

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,582 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 08 2009 - 08:03 AM

Enrico Colantoni stars as Sergeant Greg Parker, the negotiator at the head of the SRU. Team leader Ed Lane (Hugh Dillon) pretty much runs point in the various tense scenarios the SRU is given to handle. Also on the team are hotshot young rookie Sam Braddock (David Paetkau), coolheaded techie Mike “Spike” Scarlatti (Sergio Di Zio), reliable wingman Kevin “Wordy” Wordsworth (Michael Cram), and the team’s aggressive female member Jules Callaghan (Amy Jo Johnston). All are expert marksmen and are skilled at scaling buildings and repelling from great heights. With Greg’s firm but soothing command of negotiations between the police and the perpetrators with the weapons, situations might not always resolve themselves with everyone alive, but the satisfaction in knowing that everything was done that could have been done usually leaves each episode with a sedate sense of closure. A haunting ballad on the soundtrack usually plays out the episode with a reflective coda.
The episodes revolve around a reliable and rather welcome formula. We begin each program at the peak moment of climactic confrontation between the police and those they’re in communication with. The scene then goes back several hours to show us how circumstances occurred to bring us to the tense standoffs we are faced with at the beginning of the episode. From that point, anything can happen, and the resultant action usually leads to some quiet moments of discussion between one or more members of the squad. During this first season of episodes, there are standoffs involving marital disputes, wife beating, a heart for an organ transplant, drug deals gone bad, abducted children, ex-cons looking for justice, gang vengeance, even revenge. The actors are all solid players, but Enrico Colantoni, whose rock solid gentility has grounded many a film and television program, stands out as the team’s MVP. Hugh Dillon is also given several late season spotlight episodes and rises to the occasion each time, particularly in the season finale.

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,898 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted October 08 2009 - 10:31 AM

I call it the Ghost Whisperer of cop shows.  By the end, you're usually in tears, just like when Melinda is crossing over a ghost.  Quality wise, I'd say it's a fairly consistent show.  I'm enjoying the "third" season thus far (in quotes because the episodes aired to date were to be part of season two), and I'd say if you like season one, you'll like two and three because it doesn't really change or innovate.  Not every show has to.

The cast is solid, but I agree that Colantoni and Dillon are the standouts.