What's new

New Panasonic AE4000 projector (1 Viewer)

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
http://www.projectorcentral.com/panasonic_ae4000_projector_review.htm

First review is up. I have to say that as an AE3000 owner, I didn't have much interest in upgrading to a 4000 based on what I read at Cedia. Heck, they didn't even show the projector there. But this first review has me thinking twice. Improved contrast along with increased brightness??? I am having second thoughts, especially since it looks like it will street for around $2k. I might need to sell my 3000 and upgrade.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
cool
I have not seen it yet.
Hopefully this will have a better color decoder and also better color uniformity.

Brian Steeves

Second Unit
Gregg, were there issues with the 3000? I'm considering the 4000 as my first FP purchase.
Originally Posted by Gregg Loewen

cool
I have not seen it yet.
Hopefully this will have a better color decoder and also better color uniformity.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
color decoder and also better color uniformity

both are very big issues.

Brian, if you want a Ka$$ PJ, I was able to get a great deal on some JVC RS2 units. Email for info...it would be very similar budget to the 3000 - 4000 panny models.

Tupp

Auditioning
Real Name
Myles
I'm thinking of upgrading my Sanyo z4. 3800 hours on the original bulb.

I was thinking Epson 8500 or Panasonic AE4000.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
3800 is way too many hours on the bulb....your light output is most likely less than 50% of the original amount.

At least change out the bulb.

Tupp

Auditioning
Real Name
Myles
Actually, It's amazing how good the projector looks. Sure it is probably quite dim compared with a new projector but I have very good light control and in the dark all is good.

I can sell it as is to someone and buy a new projector. Question is, what new projector?

Originally Posted by Gregg Loewen

3800 is way too many hours on the bulb....your light output is most likely less than 50% of the original amount.

At least change out the bulb.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
if you want a Ka$$ PJ, I was able to get a great deal on some JVC RS2 units. Email for info...it would be very similar budget to the 3000 - 4000 panny models.

this unit is far above the other PJs mentioned in this thread in EVERY regard (except possibly price).

Call me if interested....201 232 3380.... i currently have 2 units left.

Tupp

Auditioning
Real Name
Myles
JVC's are the benchmark for sure! Buget wise and size wise they are too much for my setup.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
In general, yes, the JVC LCOS models put out a subjectively better picture. How much better is the subjective part. But if you are interested in features such as lens memory for CIH setups and frame interpolation to smooth out pans and fast motion in sports, then the RS2's can't compete.
It's all in what you want from your projector.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
It's all in what you want from your projector

you can add all the features you want...but if the picture looks like crap then what does it matter?

Objectively or subjectively? My clients want accurate...and it is easily quantified by objective criteria.
Or if the feature doesnt work well, like doesnt hold focus in the zoom range...or the zoom / focus setting isn't accurate each time...or the zoom causes (or the lense in general) causes alot of convergence errors.
Who on god's green earth would what frame interpolation on a front projector?

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Alright, here we go again.
Look, you can have your rainbows and motion judder all you want. I know you're a big DLP fan. And that's fine. But to put down a competent, feature-laden projector is not needed. I think you can see by the sales of these things that many people want these features and have a need for them.
I want my smooth pans and football without motion blur. And FI does that. Do I use it all the time? No. But I do use it when I think there will be a benefit to what I'm seeing on my screen. It does wonders for Planet Earth and like I said, sports is soooooooooo much better when FI is properly implemented.
And I don't get where the features don't work well. If you check out the numerous owner threads, you'll see there have been minimal issues with the 3000 and 4000 series. So that comment is unwarranted.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I've been very happy with my 900, blown away by demos of the 3000 and closely follow the 4000 in hopes that it and the 3000 get down into the range where they are affordable to someone like me in the way the 900 quickly did. I understand Greg has both a commitment to quality and product to move, but I disagree entirely with his lumping any of the Panny line in with so called 'crap'...

One thing that people often fail to compensate for is zoom range in their projectors and I stand by my assessment that in the room where I have my PJ set up no other solution would work for me as well as the Panny's highly flexible lens system does.

Sam

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
but I disagree entirely with his lumping any of the Panny line in with so called 'crap'

I guess we will have to agree to disagree and only 1 of us is an expert.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have to step in and also defend the Panny line.

They are certainly not crap. In fact, if I were going
to buy a new projector tomorrow my first choice would
be the Panny 4000.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Quote:Originally Posted by Gregg Loewen Post of the week right there. If you need more ammunition I'm red/green and blue/brown color blind too.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
rotflmao

Guys, Im not saying that the Panny is that bad...(well I am...but not really). It is good for what it is at the 2000 price point. At the same price point I would also look at the Epson PJs, they do not seem to have some of the issues that I see with the Pannys.

My other part to the discussion, was that the PJs that I had (RS2) were MUCH better than the Panny (but yes more expensive). Given that the RS2 had a MSRP of 8000 and I had them for 2900....to me it seemed like a no brainer (if your budget would allow for it). Please note that I am sold out of the RS2s and no more stock is available.

Gregg

w2waytoo

Auditioning
Real Name
bill
As a new member to the forum & ISF member, am I the only one troubled by the fact that the moderator is using this forum for personal gain. This thread is supposed to be related to the topic at hand, a discussion of the merits of the new AE 4000. It is not to be a substitute for Ebay. If the moderator unable or unwilling to stick to the topic & discuss its merits, then I suggest he excuse himself from the job & let someone else do it properly.

w2waytoo

Auditioning
Real Name
bill
As a new member to the forum & ISF member, am I the only one troubled by the fact that the moderator is using this forum for personal gain. This thread is supposed to be related to the topic at hand, a discussion of the merits of the new AE projector, not as a substitute for Ebay. If the moderator is unable or unwilling to restrain himself, I suggest someone else be appointed. Hopefully this post will not be deleted this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks