Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Somebody please help me on the IMAX Blu-ray thing..

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   JeremyR

JeremyR

Second Unit

• 410 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted October 07 2009 - 06:52 AM

I know that TF2 IMAX is going to be a Wal-Mart exclusive.  I have seen IMAX movies, and get the aspect ratio is different (wider), and the sound is typically better.  What I don't understand, is what that has to do with Blu-ray.  Are they changing the aspect ratio to where you'll have wider black bars on top and bottom?  I guess if so, my only problem is my HDTV is only 32 inches (don't have alot of room in my basement), so perhaps it's not for me.  I guess I just don't understand, and if somebody could help me I'd appreciate it. 

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Producer

• 3,325 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted October 07 2009 - 07:08 AM

Actually, a true IMAX movie has a smaller aspect ratio (i.e. it's closer to 1.85:1, or more "square" shaped than a typical scope movie at 2.35:1).  And the sound isn't necessarily better, but it definitely is louder.  It's still a 5.1 mix, but has many more speakers providing a louder overall soundfield. My guess is that this version will be like the Blu-Ray for The Dark Knight - any scenes that were originally shot using IMAX cameras will have the matte opened up, so that the image fills the screen (actually resulting in smaller black bars, or none if you're watching on a widescreen TV).  The rest of the film will be shown in it's regular theatrical aspect ratio of 2.35:1 (or thereabouts).

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   JeremyR

JeremyR

Second Unit

• 410 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted October 07 2009 - 07:11 AM

Hmm.. that sounds rather annoying, the aspect ratio changing mid-movie. 

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 882 posts

Posted October 07 2009 - 07:19 AM

Did you see The Dark Knight on Blu-ray? It will be like that. 

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Producer

• 3,325 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted October 07 2009 - 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by JeremyR 

Hmm.. that sounds rather annoying, the aspect ratio changing mid-movie. 
I thought the exact same thing, but in the instances where an entire lengthy sequence was shot in IMAX it wasn't nearly as distacting as I thought it would be.  It was more noticeable where only a short, establishing shot (like an aerial view of a building) was IMAX, then everything else surrounding that shot was regular.  Even so, the movie itself had me pretty much engrossed, so I wasn't paying attention to the changing aspect ratio.

The image clarity of the IMAX scenes in TDK was astonishing - particularly the opening heist sequence.  Granted, I was watching on a large front projection system - the difference may be less noticeable on a 32" set.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   JeremyR

JeremyR

Second Unit

• 410 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted October 07 2009 - 07:33 AM

No, I didn't.  I was one of the few that didn't like The Dark Knight particularly, so I didn't bother renting.  But it might be a good idea to do so to check it out. 

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   JeremyR

JeremyR

Second Unit

• 410 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted October 07 2009 - 07:35 AM

Well, I will be getting either a much larger flat panel, or a projection in a couple years when we move, so I should think to the future.  I just simply unfortunately, don't have the room right now.  My audio system is already over kill down there.  :-) 

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   ChadMcCallum

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit

• 438 posts

Posted October 07 2009 - 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jason Charlton 

The image clarity of the IMAX scenes in TDK was astonishing - particularly the opening heist sequence.  Granted, I was watching on a large front projection system - the difference may be less noticeable on a 32" set.
On my 32" 1080i tv the IMAX scenes in The Dark Knight looked fantastic so I can only imagine what they look like on a larger display.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   JeremyR

JeremyR

Second Unit

• 410 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted October 08 2009 - 06:56 AM

Thanks, then maybe I'll get it. 

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,653 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted October 08 2009 - 08:05 AM

The Dark Knight imax sequences were amazing.

Also What is TF2?

facebook.com/whotony

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Bryan Beckman

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit

• 272 posts

Posted October 08 2009 - 08:18 AM

Transformers 2.

I guess the more correct abbreviation is T2, but then folks might be getting it confused with another, better movie. ;)

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,653 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted October 08 2009 - 08:24 AM

how about just Transformers 2

facebook.com/whotony

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 8,266 posts

Posted October 08 2009 - 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by JeremyR 

I know that TF2 IMAX is going to be a Wal-Mart exclusive.  I have seen IMAX movies, and get the aspect ratio is different (wider), and the sound is typically better.  What I don't understand, is what that has to do with Blu-ray.  Are they changing the aspect ratio to where you'll have wider black bars on top and bottom?  I guess if so, my only problem is my HDTV is only 32 inches (don't have alot of room in my basement), so perhaps it's not for me.  I guess I just don't understand, and if somebody could help me I'd appreciate it. 
The aspect ratio of IMAX is approximate 1.34, basically the same as the classic ratio of Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind and Casablanca.  From there it can be cropped and conformed as desired.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,695 posts

Posted October 09 2009 - 01:42 AM

I've only heard about this exclusive just recently....is this a separate release from the regular version, or is it incorporated into the same package via seamless branching or as a bonus disc?  I'm hoping Walmart sells this exclusive in Canada too...would love to get it.
Recently watched- Burn Notice: Season 5, Riddick, The Chronicles Of Riddick, The Postman, The Hunger, April Love, Summer Lovers, Journey To The Center Of The Earth(1959), The Bounty, Mississippi Burning, The Wolf Of Wall Street, First Men In The Moon, The Jewel Of The Nile, Romancing The Stone, They Live, Into The Storm, John Wick, Finding Nemo 3D

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 3, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 4, Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 1, Game Of Thrones: Season 2, Heroes: Season 2, The Pacific, Burn Notice: Season 6, Battlestar Galactica: The Definitive Collection, The Walking Dead: Season 5

"You keep what you kill."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users