Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Center Channel Speaker for Boston MR-V60 Bookshelf Speakers.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 06 2009 - 03:44 PM

Hi everybody, 

I am currently using a Yamaha RX-V1000 "Natural Sound" AV Receiver with two Boston VR-M60 speakers.

I need a recommendation for a center channel speaker. My emphasis is on sound quality and balance, and I'll be using the system for both movies and music. The room is 14x10. 

Following is what I came up with after a few hours of calling up and visiting local retailers. I am hoping somebody with more experience will just come on here and tell me what to buy.

Axiom VP100 Center Channel Audio - $255 shipped
Klipsch Icon Dual 5-1/4" Center-Channel Speaker - $285 from Best Buy
Vienna Acoustics Theatro Center-Channel Speaker - $622 from Best Buy

The Axiom and Klipsch are in the price range of what I would be happy to spend. Up to $400 is the limit, it would be nice to get recommendations for speakers of different prices up to $400. 

I included the Vienna Acoustics because it blows out of the water anything I've ever heard ... if somebody can convince me that I absolutely have to have it to complement the Boston VR-M60 speakers, I probably would end up getting it.

What I am really hoping for is a center channel speaker that isn't going to send me into bankruptcy, but isn't going to drag down the Bostons. 

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Producer

• 3,139 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted October 07 2009 - 01:58 AM

It's going to be very difficult to find a good matching center channel from another manufacturer.  Really, you should get the center channel speaker that was designed to go with your mains, but a quick search told me that your mains are discontinued.  You might want to try contacting Boston Acoustics and asking what they would recommend.

Timbre-matching the front 3 speakers is critically important for movies, as sounds pan across the front soundstage very frequently and any tonal differences between the speakers will be very noticeable.

If you can wait, I would suggest holding off until you can replace all three front speakers with a matched set, particularly if the VR-M60's are still performing well.

Edit: Searching online, it appears the VR-12 was designed to go with the M60's.  You could try searching for a used one to save some cash.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#3 of 5 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 09 2009 - 03:13 AM

I can't seem to find a VR-12.

I've decided to demo the Vienna Acoustics Theatro Center-Channel Speaker and the Axiom VP100 Center Channel Audio.

I'll post results on how they match for the one person out there who might possibly be interested. 

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   CB750

CB750

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted October 10 2009 - 11:38 AM

You didn't mention the rest of your system.  If your goal is 5.1 you could find a new matching front stage of left, right, center that match each other and move your two Boston's to your surround speakers.   I tired to combine three sets of  old Stereo speakers into a 5.1 system and It just didn't work.  Each pair were good speakers on their own but they didn't work well together especially up front.

#5 of 5 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 11 2009 - 09:38 AM

Hey Bill, that is my whole system.

I currently only have the Yamaha RX-V1000 deck and the two Boston VR-M60. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users