What's new

Opinions arrangement (5.1 Setup) (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Tony Novacek

Oren

Stunt Coordinator
WIll folks be conversing in the den? Or is it strictly home theater? If the former, then I prefer option 1, since the sofas would be within conversing distance of each other. In option 2, the door, and table, separate them too much.

Real Name
Tony Novacek
Yes, this will pretty much be the main hang out spot (watching TV, movies, listening to music, playing video games and ect...). NOT a dedicated theater by any means. I just want to make the best of it for now until I do some major reconstructing.

You have a very good point. You opinion is much appreciated, thank you!

Keep the comments coming ;)

Real Name
Tony Novacek
Just had another idea pop in my head while slow at work.

How about this setup? I guess my main concern is the sub being located next to the seating position like in option #1. I don't think that is a recommended location... right? I've been led to beleive it is best to locate the sub in line with the front stage for best overall sound and performance.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I think #4 is the best option yet - at least for the "prime" listening position of the smaller loveseat.

The sofa will be a less ideal seating position - the surround effect will be a bit odd, and as you mentioned before, the subwoofer may be a bit overpowering for anyone sitting right next to it.

Generally, I tend to opt for a setup that provides at least one ideal seating position, rather than a setup that has compromises no matter where you sit.

Oren

Stunt Coordinator
3 and 4 are definitely better. As between the two, I suppose that depends on how your receiver handles surrounds, and what the speaker manufacturer recommends for those speakers. You should make sure, though, that if the surrounds are mounted on the wall behind the loveseat that folks won't be bumping into them when walking behind the loveseat.

Is there room over by the RF for the sub? Tucked under the TV or something?

Real Name
Tony Novacek
The sub woofer is HUGE and pretty limited to that corner unfortunately. My tv is rear projection and on a stand so that limits location even more.

My current setup in the old house is even more limited and the sub is currently behind my love seat. I hate its location but there wasn't really anywhere to put it. So now that I am moving I'm going to try and get a better setup and actually setup furnature around the speakers and sub.

The surrounds are currently up high and don't image very well. And yes I thought about folks bumping into them in setup #3 as well. I am pretty sure I am going to go with Option 4 and probably build small ledges for them and slightly angle them about 110* from the seating position and tweak from there. I plan on upgrading speakers soon (possibly a SVS setup to match the sub).

Thanks for all the help!

Here is the stuff I am working with (pics are from a few years back around christmas time):

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
I like option #4. Might I suggest that you pitch the love seat and go with a couple of nice recliners at that location. That will give you two prime seating locations for TV viewing and a couch to stretch out on for a nap.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I do beleive the sub is best placed in line with the front stage though, correct?
This isn't necessary, the sub can go anywhere and you won't be able to tell the difference.

As far as the screen placement. I'd be most concerned with light and distracting reflections from the sliding door, so I lean toward option-1. (I assume the other openings are windows, and those are more easily covered.)

Real Name
Tony Novacek
The sliding doors are the only windows in the room and they have fabric vertical blinds that block most of, if not all light. All the other openings are actually doorways. So I don't think I have to be to worried about lighting. At least I hope not. ;)

Getting some reclining chairs down the road has crossed my mind. The love seat actually has recliners and a center console so I ain't to worried at the moment. But chairs would be nice angled towards the tv with a table in between them.

Thanks for all the advice fellas!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks