-

Photo
- - - - -

Song.....you complete me! ......or.......What movies contain a scene that is made perfect by the soundtrack?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Bob Spears

Bob Spears

Stunt Coordinator

• 66 posts

Posted October 06 2009 - 04:56 AM

I was listening to my iPod the other day and Donavan's "Season of the Witch" came on and I immediately flashed to the closing scene of 1995's "To DIe For" with Nicole Kidman. I remember sitting in the theater and being completely captured by the combination of the visual and Donovan's music. Usually I am up and out of there at the end of the movie but I remember sitting thru the entire closing credits watching Nicole (I think) ice skate to Donovan. 

Another movie that did this for me was "Kelly's Heroes". It was a silly little movie but the final scene with the Mike Curb Congregation singing "Burning Bridges" as Kelly's captain walks into the blown out bank and sees the "up yours baby" graphic on the bank wall thrills me every time I see it on the satellite.

Both of these are closing scenes with credit scrolls but I wondered what scenes others thought were made perfect by the sound track. I watch "Rescue Me" on FX and have noticed that over the last two or three seasons they have been paying a LOT of attention to the music especially the closing number. Frequently I will find myself on iTunes downloading the closing number after the show is over.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,978 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 06 2009 - 05:14 AM

Aimee Mann's 'Save Me' at the end of Magnolia is one of my favorites.

The Sopranos had tons of great music but I think my favorite song at the end of an episode (I think it's Cold Cuts from the fifth season) was when they used The Kinks' 'I'm Not Like Anybody Else'. Tony's sister was telling him how she wasn't an angry person anymore and he started pushing her buttons by bringing up her estranged child. She gets pissed and tries to stab him with a fork and he leaves happy having proved that she is just as miserable as him. As he walks down the street, the song comes up and plays over the credits.

And it's Illeana Douglas skating at the end of To Die For (I love that example too).

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,913 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted October 06 2009 - 05:19 AM

"Where is my Mind" by The Pixies at the end of Fight Club.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,737 posts

Posted October 06 2009 - 05:53 AM

2001: A Space Odyssey - The Blue Danube Waltz accompanying the voyage of the Pan-Am space clipper is one of my favorites.

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,255 posts

Posted October 06 2009 - 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Kittel 

2001: A Space Odyssey - The Blue Danube Waltz accompanying the voyage of the Pan-Am space clipper is one of my favorites.

- Walter.
That 'symbiosis' truly is a masterpiece.  And IMO the works of Ligeti (in particularly, Atmospheres) are also very well matched in that film.  I like these words relative to the composer: "Ligeti himself said that he intended the listener to become lost in the depth of the texture and tone and become completely oblivious to the passage of time."  The Gayne Ballet Suite of Khachaturian is also a remarkable work, especially the way it is used in the film.

I think my all-time favorite would have to be Herrmann's work for Fahrenheit 451.  The score is ethereal and other-worldly, and as a result the film inhabits a sound world like no other I have ever heard.  The opening work in 7/8 is worth the price of admission.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Bob Spears

Bob Spears

Stunt Coordinator

• 66 posts

Posted October 06 2009 - 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR ">

Aimee Mann's 'Save Me' at the end of Magnolia is one of my favorites.

The Sopranos had tons of great music but I think my favorite song at the end of an episode (I think it's Cold Cuts from the fifth season) was when they used The Kinks' 'I'm Not Like Anybody Else'. Tony's sister was telling him how she wasn't an angry person anymore and he started pushing her buttons by bringing up her estranged child. She gets pissed and tries to stab him with a fork and he leaves happy having proved that she is just as miserable as him. As he walks down the street, the song comes up and plays over the credits.

And it's Illeana Douglas skating at the end of To Die For (I love that example too).
<br /></span>
<br />
I agree with your assessment of the Sopranos music. David Chase even made Journey listenable with "Made In America". Thanks for the correction of "To Die For". I might have to give it another viewing.</div></div>
<br />

<br />

</div>

<div class=

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts

Posted October 06 2009 - 12:29 PM

Quote:
David Chase even made Journey listenable with "Made In America".

Journey is always listenable!

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Bob Spears

Bob Spears

Stunt Coordinator

• 66 posts

Posted October 06 2009 - 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hewell View Post

Journey is always listenable!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Dion C

Dion C

Stunt Coordinator

• 66 posts

Posted October 10 2009 - 09:11 AM

I consider Clint Mansell's music for "Requiem For a Dream" to be one of the all-time great fusions of music and film.

The piece called "Marion Barfs" is the strongest moment, musically, in the whole film, IMHO.  The momentum, the camerawork, and the editing makes for an amazing, intense two minutes of film.
If they made a t.v. movie about an Elvis Presley impersonator, would they have to get a Kurt Russell impersonator to play the part?