What's new

Best music only set up around $1000? (1 Viewer)

DriveV8Faster

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
I'm looking to buy a good music only system for my new apartment. I listen mainly to house/techno so I really need something that can get really loud and have a great range of bass. I was looking at this SVS setup http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm but I'm not sure if there is much point in going 5.1 for music only. What would you guys recommend for a budget of about $1000?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
The SVS system is a great system. They make one of the best subwoofers on the planet. Their speakers have won all kinds of awards. The folks I know online, that have them, seem to love them. You can only buy them online, but they have a great return policy, if you don't like them. But, I doubt you'd return them. Everyone says they have the best customer service they've ever dealt with. I hope to be buying one of their cylinder subs next April.
(You can always use 5.1 for your movies, and switch the receiver to stereo, for your music.)

BTW..............
I, personally, only listen to music in 5.1/7.1 surround (Pro Logic IIx, or sacd & dvd-a). After listening to surround for so long, stereo just sounds like it's missing something. The only time I listen in stereo anymore, is when someone comes over and wants to listen in stereo. I'll play it for them..........
Good luck with whatever you do.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Chris,

I could be wrong, but I suspect accuracy will not be high on your list of priorities. House/Techno is usually bass driven and the desired sound is 'boomy' (instead of accurate). Does this sound like what you are looking for?

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
when you say system, what are you looking for besides speakers? do you need a receiver/ amp, cd, tuner, etc.? this will affect what to budget for each part.

what are your priorities when it comes to sound - detail, bass, volume? what's the room like where this system will live? how big is it?

there are great deals on quality gear out there. I'd check audio advisor and saturday audio first.

DriveV8Faster

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Accuracy of the bass line and all other sounds is the most important thing to me. Of course, I want it to get quite loud on top of that. The room is about 15'x20' with a 10' ceiling. My max budget is about $1500 for everything. I guess that is speakers, sub, receiver/cd player. Not sure if I would necessarily need an amp or any other components as I am not exactly an expert on any of this. Any advice is highly appreciated.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
NAD 720 BEE receiver $400 - can run two sets of speakers and has sub out, you won't find another 2-channel receiver close to this price and quality with this feature. there is no bass management but you can calibrate it yourself with a little time and effort. if you don't listen to the radio, you can pick up the C352 integrated amp (no tuner) for $30 more with more power (not that you'll need it) and can still run the sub off the preamp out.

PSB Image B25's $320/pair - neutral, loud and with mesh nicely with sub.

Above from saturday audio.

this marantz dvd for $70 for your cd playback. you could get a "real" cd player for $300 or more but at your budget i think this is a good corner to cut.

this leaves $700 for subwoofer (don't skimp on this), cables, wires, speaker stands, sound meter, etc. for subs, i personally love the martin logan dynamo but it is probably small for your room. if you can find it's big brother the abyss, you could probably get a deal as it's ben replaced with a newer product. that said you will get more bang for your buck with svs, elemental design, HSU to name a few quality internet direct sub makers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks