• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 of 40 Dick

Dick

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,722 posts

Posted January 26 2010 - 10:06 AM

OK. Understood. The Amazon UK site lists THE ELEPHANT MAN as a PAL disc. Does anyone have this and, if so, is that not a disc I can play on my Blu-ray?

Is SUNRISE safe to order?

I just don't want to get stuck with discs I can't play.  Thanks

#22 of 40 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• PipPipPip
  • 6,841 posts
  • LocationValley Glen, CA

Posted January 26 2010 - 10:53 AM

Both Sunrise and The Elephant Man are 1080p/24 and are therefore safe to import to the US.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#23 of 40 24fpssean

24fpssean

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted January 26 2010 - 12:05 PM

SUNRISE is safe to order! It is Region Free! GET IT! :)
 “The cinema is an invention with no future…”     – Louis Lumière

#24 of 40 Dick

Dick

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,722 posts

Posted January 26 2010 - 01:29 PM

Is ELEPHANT MAN region-free also? Thanks for your help.

#25 of 40 Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted January 26 2010 - 03:20 PM

All the Sunrise supplements are in NTSC, and the entire contents of the disc should play easily on any North American player.

#26 of 40 Ken Volok

Ken Volok

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted July 24 2013 - 10:07 PM

I as given this blu-ray of Sunrise for my birthday, YAY! Went straight for partially known territory, the Czech version and it's amazing the picture quality. Of course the film needs no review from me BUT the question I've been wwondering:

Why did Fox let someone else release this film? Isn't it considered a crown jewel in the Fox ouevre?

#27 of 40 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• PipPipPip
  • 7,209 posts

Posted July 24 2013 - 10:21 PM

I as given this blu-ray of Sunrise for my birthday, YAY! Went straight for partially known territory, the Czech version and it's amazing the picture quality. Of course the film needs no review from me BUT the question I've been wwondering:

Why did Fox let someone else release this film? Isn't it considered a crown jewel in the Fox ouevre?

Most likely because extraordinary history and high quality do not translate into sales for silent product.

RAH
  • Ken Volok likes this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#28 of 40 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 23,101 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 30 2013 - 02:21 AM

POPULAR

Most likely because extraordinary history and high quality do not translate into sales for silent product.

RAH

Here's hoping The Big Parade sells well as we need to encourage the studios to release these great films onto BD. 

• Danny Burk, Professor Echo, Ken Volok and 2 others like this

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#29 of 40 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• PipPipPip
  • 7,209 posts

Posted July 30 2013 - 05:01 AM

Here's hoping The Big Parade sells well as we need to encourage the studios to release these great films onto BD.

Agreed. WB has gone all out, as the image as been harvested from the OCN. Should be magnificent.

RAH
  • Danny Burk likes this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#30 of 40 Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 30 2013 - 10:55 AM

It's a shame the studios don't feel as they did in the 30's and 40's when they would occasionally invest in prestigious projects that they thought wouldn't return much of a profit, if any, but did it to enhance their image.

#31 of 40 Eerik Paal

Eerik Paal

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted July 31 2013 - 02:03 AM

I wouldn't get my hopes too high. Wings was released in January 2012 and The Big Parade is the first silent released by a major studio since that.

#32 of 40 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 23,101 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 31 2013 - 02:22 AM

I wouldn't get my hopes too high. Wings was released in January 2012 and The Big Parade is the first silent released by a major studio since that.

Which is my point that consumers can complain all they want about the studios not releasing the classic titles onto BD at the rate they want them to be released.  However, if the market place isn't supporting those classic releases through units sold then consumers shouldn't expect the studios to take a loss by releasing more of them as they have stockholders to answer to and those stockholders are not as few in numbers nor do they care about film as the ones that controlled the studios back in the 30s and 40s.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#33 of 40 Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted August 03 2013 - 02:30 PM

I share your hope, Mr. Crawford.

Agreed. WB has gone all out, as the image as been harvested from the OCN. Should be magnificent.

RAH

An OCN from the silent era? I thought those were all completely lost/unusable, but stranger things have happened...

• ahollis likes this

#34 of 40 Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted August 04 2013 - 01:02 PM

Amazon.com is showing two versions available:

1) 3 disc version

2) single disc version

For the same price, any reason not to go with the 3 disc version so I can gift my Fox DVD to a friend?

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#35 of 40 EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationHull, Yorkshire

Posted August 04 2013 - 01:23 PM

No, everything that is on the single disc version is included in the Dual Format.

But I strongly suggest buying a retail copy from Amazon.co.uk instead, for half the price. 

• Mark Walker likes this

#36 of 40 Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted August 04 2013 - 01:37 PM

Thanks, Eddie!  Done and done!

#37 of 40 EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationHull, Yorkshire

Posted August 04 2013 - 01:46 PM

Great!

Masters of Cinema have also released on BD both of Murnau's follow up films to Sunrise, City Girl and Tabu (though only the former is region free).

City Girl in particular looks amazing:

http://www.eurekavid..._GIRL_BD_01.jpg

http://www.eurekavid..._GIRL_BD_02.jpg

http://www.eurekavid..._GIRL_BD_04.jpg

#38 of 40 Eerik Paal

Eerik Paal

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted August 05 2013 - 02:34 AM

City Girl is region free too.

#39 of 40 Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 05 2013 - 10:37 AM

You can often find better deals than Amazon UK for the MOC titles direct from the Eureka site, which has periodic discounts on their Blus and free worldwide shipping for all orders.  They are also a great company to deal with.

• Mark Walker likes this

#40 of 40 Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted August 14 2013 - 07:51 PM

I got the 3 disc DVD/Blu-ray combo pack today from Amazon.co.uk 

http://www.amazon.co...sunrise blu-ray

and the Blu-ray case itself says it is Region B on the back, so I understand the confusion.

I do *not* have a region free Blu-ray player and it played just fine, clearly mislabeled as Region B.

Also the commentary track is the same as on the 20th Century Fox DVD, which, for folks like me that really love commentary tracks, it was important to me that I not loose this when passing along the Fox DVD to a friend.

Thanks again for all the advice, Eddie and others.  

I saved money buying it from .co.uk and, while I've only sat through 40 minutes, this looks fantastic!

Cheers!

Edited by Mark Walker, August 15 2013 - 09:15 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users