Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Digital Coaxial output amplifier

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   SpencerT

SpencerT

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted October 04 2009 - 03:39 AM

I currently have a dvd player connected via coax digital audio to a Yamaha Amplifier. Some of the films are loud and most are low (tried different dvd players also) . Is there an amplifier to increase the input to the amplifier to increase the input in the coax of the amp?

thanks in advance

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted October 04 2009 - 04:52 AM

I doubt seriously that it's the dvd player or digital coax cable. The player sends the full signal to the receiver/amp, where it takes control. Try a different dvd player. If same thing happens, the problem is with the Yamaha.

I'd also double check the speaker connections, to make sure the phase is right (+/-), with all of them, at both ends. The phase being wrong can cause lower volumes on that speaker(s), I think, but then it would be constant, and not loud for some and low for others.

Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   David Willow

David Willow

Babbling Idiot

• 2,222 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted October 04 2009 - 05:45 AM

Some films are loud and some are low?  Could be difference between DTS and Dolby?  Have you calibrated your speakers?  Maybe there is a separate calibration for DTS and Dolby (like Harmon Kardon's).

I’m training to run a marathon for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, to raise life-saving funds to help those fighting blood cancers. Please help! See details and donation link here.

Dolby and DTS Plaques (downloads)
Audyssey Setup Guide

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,531 posts

Posted October 05 2009 - 07:17 AM

The digital coax is a digital signal.  There is no "amplifying" a digital signal.  The culprit is probably calibration of the receiver and speakers.  Your speakers have to be set so they are all putting out the same volume.  If they aren't calibrated, the surrounds and mains can be louder than the center, which will drown out the dialog, making the dialog seem too low.  List the model number of the Yamaha and we can tell you how to calibrate it.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

• 1,573 posts

Posted October 05 2009 - 07:31 AM

Also check the DVD player audio setting, make sure it is set to "bitstream" not "PCM".

What are your speaker size settings, did you check levels with a sound meter?

Also realize that DVD will often have a different average volume compared to TV channels, for example, there is greater dynamic range.  The average volume for say the dialog might be rather low to give headroom for very loud effects sequences. That's what the volume knob is for, you'll sometimes have to turn it up compared to normal TV.  The dynamic range can be reduced by "midnight" / "late night" mode settings if the explosions get too loud after the volume has been raised to hear the dialog.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users