What's new

HTF Blu-ray Review: Star Trek: The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Re issue coming in 2013 maybe?
I saw that the set is $26 today on Gold box deal of the day on Amazon.
However, I wonder if a new set with better transfers is coming in 2013 with the new Star Trek film...
ordered it....

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
What would be the hook for a reissue for the casual customer? If the package just says "better transfer," that's not going to do it.

Do we get true Director's Cuts of any of the movies? Frakes isn't known for a lot of cut scenes; he's a very economical director. That, in my thinking, leaves extended versions of First Contact and Insurrection out. Generations already includes the deleted scenes most people want to see-the alternate Kirk death and orbital skydiving. And the less said about Nemesis the better.

If anything, Generations, Insurrection and Nemesis may get individual releases next year and we may get new versions of TMP, TWoK and TUC...but I don't expect to see new editions of TNG movies until an anniversary of some kind pops up.

nealg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neal
A correct version of Insurrection would be enough of a "hook" for me. The blu is squashed vertically (people are too fat). The dvd was fine.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Jason_V said:
What would be the hook for a reissue for the casual customer?  If the package just says "better transfer," that's not going to do it. 
Do we get true Director's Cuts of any of the movies?  Frakes isn't known for a lot of cut scenes; he's a very economical director.  That, in my thinking, leaves extended versions of First Contact and Insurrection out.  Generations already includes the deleted scenes most people want to see-the alternate Kirk death and orbital skydiving.  And the less said about Nemesis the better. 
If anything, Generations, Insurrection and Nemesis may get individual releases next year and we may get new versions of TMP, TWoK and TUC...but I don't expect to see new editions of TNG movies until an anniversary of some kind pops up.
Right. I agree with your comments as well. It is Paramount though, they love the multiple dips!
I was actually thinking of a complete box set of all of the TOS and TNG films. The TOS films as you mentioned would have the newer versions as you mentioned.
I also believe Paramount kind of rushed out the TOS and TNG box sets on blu ray. With the exception of Wrath of Khan that had a full restoration?
Anyway, I thought they might do new mastering of all of the films on the next release.
It would be nice to have TMP Director's Edition on blu ray.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
nealg said:
/t/293574/htf-blu-ray-review-star-trek-the-next-generation-motion-picture-collection#post_3936135
I was actually thinking of a complete box set of all of the TOS and TNG films. The TOS films as you mentioned would have the newer versions as you mentioned.
That's the only way I'd even consider a repurchase: all the TOS movies, all the TNG movies, ST XI, new transfers, new extras, DC's of ST I, II, VI (and the theatrical cuts) and everything ported over from the existing sets. And a reasonable price point (sub-$200). I don't think it's going to happen, though.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Jason_V said:
For the hardcore fans, absolutely.  Frankly, I've watched Insurrection once and didn't notice the problem.  They may get some double dips, but I can't see that being the only change.
That's the only way I'd even consider a repurchase: all the TOS movies, all the TNG movies, ST XI, new transfers, new extras, DC's of ST I, II, VI (and the theatrical cuts) and everything ported over from the existing sets.  And a reasonable price point (sub-$200).  I don't think it's going to happen, though.
2013 maybe?
I'm sure we will see another release of all of the Trek films on blu ray at some point.
Paramount is notorious for reissues.
Almost as notorious as I am for continuing to buy the reissues! : )
VHS, DVD twice and now blu ray...

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Oh, what I meant was with all my caveats. No way we're getting 10 or 11 movies in new packaging and whole nine yards for under $200.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Jason_V said:
Oh, what I meant was with all my caveats.  No way we're getting 10 or 11 movies in new packaging and whole nine yards for under $200. 
You might be right.
Who would've thought that TNG Remastered blu ray would happen though?
That being said, it has been pretty quiet on the news front for a new transfer release of the Trek films on blu ray.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
TNG is arguably the most popular of all the shows. So I never really doubted TNG-R would happen. How else do these shows keep finding new buyers?

I don't doubt DS9 and VOY will even get remastered. It's just a matter of time. Trek is a money maker and it's up to the marketing people to figure out how to keep each show new and "sellable." This is the way.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Jason_V said:
TNG is arguably the most popular of all the shows.  So I never really doubted TNG-R would happen.  How else do these shows keep finding new buyers? 
I don't doubt DS9 and VOY will even get remastered.  It's just a matter of time.  Trek is a money maker and it's up to the marketing people to figure out how to keep each show new and "sellable."  This is the way.
I hope VOY and DS9 are issued on blu ray in the future. I'm a huge fan of both of those spinoff series.
I'm looking forward to TNG Season 1 remastered. I never did pick up the TNG series on VHS or DVD. Thinking I probably will with this set though.
I'm hoping to get to the 1 night TNG episodes screenings in July too. I made it to the TOS one of The Menagerie and it was a ton of fun.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Finally watched the first film in the set Generations. Huge uptick in picture and audio quality from the SE DVD! I was very pleased.
I've watched a few of the extras as well. Nice of them to port over the SE DVD extras as well as adding new ones.
Great to finally have the trailers for the film too!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks