What's new

Installling plasma TV mount I need pointers (1 Viewer)

James L White

Supporting Actor
I have this mount and want to do it right
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082807&p_id=5918&seq=1&format=2
I'll be screwing it into wood studs and don't want it to pull out of the way the TV is about 75 pounds

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There was a recent episode of HD Nation (at revision3.com) about mounting a TV. The reporter (Patrick Norton) ran into a few issues. May be worth it for you to watch.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
My pointer is to not mount it on the wall.
All tvs should be setup so that the center of the screen is at eye level, while sitting down. When they are mounted on the wall, especially higher up (as over a fireplace), they need to be tilted down, and you really need to be in a recliner, in a reclined position. Otherwise, you'll have your head tilted back, looking up, in an unnatural position. Kinda like sitting on the front row at a theater. Fun when you were a kid, but I bet you don't sit on the front row anymore? Bothers your neck now, doesn't it?

SCcobra4me

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
I just did this the other day with a mount very similar and it was relatively simple. The one thing you have to look at is how high you want the tv on the wall, and if you're thinking DUH the reason why I say it is because you have to take into consideration where the arms that mount into the back of the tv are going to fit to the mount on the wall, then also the distance from the top of the arms to the top of the tv. This was the most difficult part of the process. I think my measurement was around 8 1/2" from the top of the main plate that mounts on the wall to the top of the tv.

Once you get that settled, you'll need a stud finder, then it's a matter of locating the studs and centering the plate on the wall. I predrilled my holes to make sure I hit the stud, it really won't matter if you miss once or twice here as you are covering that portion up with the plate and tv. I drilled the left side first and screwed the bolt halfway in with the plate hanging with that one bolt, then I took a level and marked my second hole, I didn't want to assume my ceiling or floor was perfect. Then throw a bolt in the second hole, make sure to have washers here. The bottom bolts should be self explanatory. That should be it for the plate.

Then it's a matter of mounting the arms to the back of the tv, you may need to get creative here with the hardware provided as my hole mounts weren't very deep and I ended up using a plastic spacer that they recommended for concaved tv backs. But beyond that, screw the necessary hardware to the back of the tv. This should be enough for you to hang it on the plate, I made sure I ran all my wires before I hung the actual tv. Beyond this, the bottom portion of the arms should slide up and down allowing you to hug the plate and secure it once the tv is up.

I hope this helps.

James L White

Supporting Actor
well I installed it with no problems

I never knew plasmas were so heavy though

anyhow it's about 4 ft high from the base of the TV to the floor

which seems high but it's a bedroom tv so it's perfect while lying down on the bed

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Originally Posted by James L White

anyhow it's about 4 ft high from the base of the TV to the floor

which seems high but it's a bedroom tv so it's perfect while lying down on the bed
As Paul Harvey used to say "now we know the rest of the story".

I know that many don't like wall mounts but I used one to mount my 52" LCD just above a fire place I did not use and didn't have a mantle. The bottom of the TV is 36" off the floor and I find that to be good viewing height from all of my furnature in that room. I had to do it this way because this was the best location in a 22' x 14' family room for the locaton of the TV as well as the 5.1 sound system.

Botch

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott Boettcher
CB750 (Honda?), did you mount your TV to the fireplace itself or do you have wood studs/sheetrock above it? The reason I ask is that I have a stone fireplace that would be a perfect place for my soon-to-be-purchased TV, but don't know if a mount can be mounted onto stone or not..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks