What's new

Setup Amplifier with Passive Subwoofer. (1 Viewer)

en-tact

Auditioning
Real Name
Nicholas
Hello,

I replaced my old Sony 6-CD/Stereo with a Pioneer VSX-21TXH receiver, and connected the speakers from that Sony system. However, the subwoofer is passive, and so I bought a Dayton amplifier; http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-802 . Currently, I'm not receiving any sound from the subwoofer after setting-up the system. The subwoofer is very simple, only has two wires running out the back (+ -).

This is what I did:
I have a RCA "Y" cable from the receiver's Sub Pre-Out to the amplifier's Low Level Line-In. Then two wires from the passive subwoofer to amplifier's High Level Speaker-Out. Unless, I need to set my receiver to "large" for my speakers? ..or connect the two front speakers to the High Level Amplifier-In?

I'm a novice at this, so I don't want to proceed any further causing damage to one of the units. All the help would be appreciated!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by en-tact
This is what I did:
I have a RCA "Y" cable from the receiver's Sub Pre-Out to the amplifier's Low Level Line-In. Then two wires from the passive subwoofer to amplifier's High Level Speaker-Out.
The RCA from the sub pre-out to the amp line level in is correct. The two wires from the sub ot the speaker out is NOT correct. You need to connect the two wires running out of the back of the sub amp to your sub.

en-tact

Auditioning
Real Name
Nicholas
So you are saying, connect the subwoofer wires to the amplifier's High Level Amplifier-Out?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No. You said that. That's why I quoted you and provided the correct method of connection.

These plate amps are supposed to be mounted in a square opening of the sub enclosure. Those 2 wires on the back side of the amp coming out of the circuit board would normally connect directly to the driver. Since you are using this as an external amp, these 2 wires connect to the sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks