What's new

Trailer for the 'A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET' remake. (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Sorry if this has been posted already but I did a search and found nothing about this remake here.

Meh...

New horror films look far too polished, plus, i'm getting sick of that pale blue tint that they all seem to have now.

But, it does have Connie Britton and Clancy Brown in it at least.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Why? I really do not get the remaking of all these 70's and 80's horror movies. Is hollywood that hard up for new material that they have to rape the vaults and ruin some great classics? I also heard that they are remaking the Blob, Hellraiser, Night of the creeps, Jaws and worst of all Night of the Living Dead (the original).

I'm sorry, but I am so sick of remakes.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Lucia Duran

Why? I really do not get the remaking of all these 70's and 80's horror movies.
They keep making money. If they didn't, remakes would go away nearly over night. True or not, the studios must be percieve a remake of a known or semi-known property (how many people knew or cared that Sorority Row was a remake?) less risky than taking a gamble on something new.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Hollywood has been repeating itself for years, this is really nothing new.

Also, as Travis noted, most of them are surefire moneymakers. Most of the audience these days seems to avoid originality like the plague, so it's a safer bet to remake an older film.

Why put out a "Jennifer's Body" or "Drag Me To Hell" and make $15-25 million, when you can remake "Halloween" or "Friday the 13th" and make $70-$80 million?

Hadn't heard about the "Jaws" remake, but am not really surprised. I'd rather they just update the effects in the original (like Lucas with the Star Wars SE's) than a completely new remake. If they want to make a new CGI shark pic, they should move ahead with Steve Alten's "MEG"...but then I guess that would actually be something "new" and not a remake.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Malcolm R

Hadn't heard about the "Jaws" remake, but am not really surprised.
Maybe something has changed but I had always heard that a Jaws remake wouldn't happen because Speilberg doesn't want it remade. He doesn't own Jaws but he has enough clout to 'request' that it not happen.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I understand the money thing and honestly, I was there for DOTD04, Rob Zombies Halloween and Friday the 13th.....

I realize they are always going to remake movies, but I am just really looking for something new to come out of Hollywood and really excite me. For instance, I am thrilled about this new Zombieland and for daybreakers.

I hadn't heard about Speilberg "requesting" that JAWS not be made. I just remember reading somewhere that it was in the pipeline. And I definitely agree...somebody has BALLS to try and remake Jaws!

That is how I also feel about NOTLD (original). It's my all time favorite movie and I just cannot imagine them redoing it.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
NOTLD has already been remade by Tom Savini in 1990, i'm in the minority I know but I like his remake better than Romero's original.

One new original film coming out that i'm really excited about seeing is called Paranormal Activity, that thing looks intense.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That's how a lot of people are about Snyder's remake. In both cases, I like both movies and don't mind having a choice. And, I'm not usually into remakes. This one looks fairly pointless.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I don't hate all remakes. I loved the DOTD04 remake. I enjoyed the zombies on speed! It's rare when a remake really outshines the original. I thought this one did.

I did not however like Rob Zombies version of Halloween.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Lucia Duran

It's rare when a remake really outshines the original.
Yeah, it is. I like the remakes of The Blob, The Thing and The Fly more than the original (and that's not to say that the originals are bad, I just like the remakes more). Except for raw power and ferocity, I think The Last House On The Left remake is better in every other way to the original.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'm not automatically down on remakes myself. Every once and awhile a very good one does come along. For example "The Thing" "The Fly". The 70's "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" was pretty good. Even the 80s "The Blob" was decent.

As for DotD. I love Snyder's version of it and while it might be unheard of to say, I think it's superior to Romero's version in some key respects. For example, I never really found the original to be all that scary. It seems to get cited more for its "Social Commentary" than for fright. The remake was horrifying at times.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
While I do love Romero's 'Dawn' I just don't find his zombie's to be all that threatening.

If you encounter a group of his zombie's you have a very good shot at getting by them, knocking them over and getting to safety.

Encounter a group of Snyder's zombie's and unless your in good shape i'm fairly sure your fucked cuz those bastards will run you down lol.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN isn't scary either but I don't think that takes away from it being a classic. I doubt many of those old Universal's scare many people in this thread anymore. I don't think DAWN's goal was to be scary. There's too much fun going on and this is coming from someone who doesn't buy into its social commentary. I think too much has been put into it over the years. NIGHT, on the other hand, is a film that was meant to shock and scare. The scary think about Romero's zombies is that they are slow. You look at them and say you can get past them and you CAN....as long as you keep your head. If you're not smart then you're going to die. The brain aspects are taken out of the "RoboZombies".

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Night of the Living Dead zombies scared the crap out of me! Slow yes, but shamblers surround you like Greg said and once that happens you are done.

The Thing and the Fly were fantastc movie remakes. Definitely out shone the originals. I am a HUGE Romero fan, but his Dawn wasn't scary to me either. I still think his two scarierst films were NOTLD and Land of the Dead. Dawn and Day weren't so much scary as they were entertaining.

As for trying to get back to the original topic of Nightmare on Elm Street.... Krueger scared the crap out of me as well. I had many a sleepless night because of him. I think the first two were great, but the rest of the series fell short for me.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
The trailer for A Nightmare on Elm Street 2010 sucks. Sure it's slick looking, but it's such a bore.

Familiar scenes from the original? Come on. There isn't going to be a frame in this thing better than anything Wes Craven was able to create.

I also hate the whole "did he or didn't he" aspect to Freddy's crimes that the filmmakers have decided to include. It's as if they couldn't think of anything substantial to add to the material, so they've chosen to bog themselves down in needless subplots.

Honestly, I'm finished with watching old favorites get bastardized. Rob Zombie's shit sandwiches bearing the Halloween name have ruined it for me, and then there's F13, The Fog, Prom Night ...

What a bore.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks