Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Hannibal Lecter Collection

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,723 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted September 28 2009 - 04:37 PM

[img]http://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/thumbs/b/b9/5706_front.jpg/265x265px-LS-5706_front.jpg">[img]http://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/thumbs/a/a7/a.gif/1000x600px-LL-a.gif[/img]

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted September 29 2009 - 12:56 AM

Thanks, Cameron. You just saved me some money.

Since I already own Silence, the only reason for me to get this collection is for a decent treatment of Hannibal (which I rate more highly than most people). But a single layer isn't nearly enough to give the film its visual due, and the failure to include any of the wealth of special features from the DVD edition is . . . I would say "shocking" if it weren't so typical for Fox's handling of the MGM catalogue.

As for Manhunter, you're going to get this question anyway; so it might as well come from a friendly source: There have been numerous versions over the years, and I've given up trying to keep track. Is there any indication (or any way for you to determine) which version of the film has been used here? If it's the theatrical cut, there are people who may buy this trilogy for that alone.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,225 posts

Posted September 29 2009 - 01:25 AM

"Manhunter" is definitely the theatrical cut. It's the same as the previous MGM dvd. I saw the film several times upon theatrical release and became very familiar with it. It's also an excellent transfer - very film-like.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted September 29 2009 - 01:57 AM

Thanks, Nick. Maybe we'll get lucky and see a single-disc release down the line.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   bosque

bosque

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted September 29 2009 - 09:08 AM

This is also being discussed in Robert Harris' thread about the trilogy.  Although I too would rather get a single-disc release of Manhunter, it appears that MGM have the rights to the original theatrical cut (which is the best IMO).  A UK 2 disc set released by Momentum in 2003 also contains what is described as a "theatrical" cut which is different to the MGM release (it's missing Wil Graham's lines about the killer, "his heart bleeding for him, someone took a kid and made him into a monster".   I'm sure I recall that Michael Mann was no longer happy with those lines and, where he was able to, got them removed.  This gives me the impression that the MGM theatrical may go OOP for a while rather than be re-issued as a stand-alone disc.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,870 posts

Posted October 14 2009 - 03:07 AM

This collection is available at Amazon for just $31.99 (click on the link in the review to buy) - thats just a smidge over ten bucks each...Just in time for my Halloween movie marathon !
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection