-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

SPHE Press Release: Leon: The Professional (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,335 posts

Posted September 28 2009 - 01:33 AM

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CORRUPTION.  VENGEANCE.  ADOLESCENCE.

Oscar® Nominees Natalie Portman & Danny Aiello

Star with Gary Oldman and Jean Reno In

LEON: THE PROFESSIONAL

AVAILABLE ON BLU-RAY DISC™ NOVEMBER 17, 2009

Includes Both US and International Versions of the Film,

Three Featurettes and a Retrospective with the Cast & Crew!

Culver City, Calif. (September xx, 2009).  For the first time on high definition Blu-ray™, the suspense-laden thriller Léon: The Professional is unleashed by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on November 17, 2009 for the SLP of 24.95.  The Blu-ray will include the “International Version” which features 23 minutes of footage not included in the original U.S. theatrical version.  Written and directed by acclaimed French filmmaker Luc Besson (Arthur and the Invisibles, The Fifth Element), Léon: The Professional is a no-holds-barred tension-fraught flick full of bloodlust and deceit, driven by a friendship between a hired gun and a little girl.

When 12-year-old Mathilda’s (Natalie Portman, Oscar® nominee Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role, Closer, 2005) family is gunned down by a corrupt DEA agent (Gary Oldman, Bram Stoker’s Dracula), she has nowhere to go but to her reclusive neighbor Léon (Jean Reno, The Da Vinci Code).  Fortuitously, the neighbor happens to be a hitman.   When the young woman learns of his profession, she coaxes him to teach her the tricks of his trade in order to exact revenge on her family’s killer.  

The feature also stars Oscar® nominee Danny Aiello (Oscar® nominee Best Actor in a Supporting Role,Do the Right Thing, 1990) as Léon’s ruthless mob boss Tony.  This Blu-ray release also marks the first time that both the U.S. Theatrical version and the extended, unrated “International Version” will be included on the same disc. Special features include featurettes on Jean Reno (“The Road to Léon”) and Natalie Portman (“Starting Young”) as well as a retrospective with the cast & crew.   

The Professional Synopsis
Jean Reno, Gary Oldman, Natalie Portman and Danny Aiello star in The Professional, a go-for-broke thriller about a professional assassin whose work becomes dangerously personal. Calling himself a "cleaner," the mysterious Léon (Reno) is New York's top hitman. When his next-door neighbors are murdered, Léon becomes the unwilling guardian of the family's sole survivor - 12-year-old Mathilda (Natalie Portman).  But Mathilda doesn't just want protection; she wants revenge. Training her in the deadly tricks of his trade, Léon helps her track the psychotic agent (Oldman) who murdered her family.

Bonus Features Include:

·        Three Featurettes

o       10 Year Retrospective: “The Cast and Crew Look Back”

o       Jean Reno: “The Road to Léon”

o       Natalie Portman: “Starting Young”

·        Fact Track  - Exclusive to the Extended Cut

·        5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio

The Professional was written, directed and co-produced by Luc Besson (Arthur and the Invisibles, The Fifth Element); executive produced by Claude Besson (La Femme Nikita); and stars Natalie Portman (Closer, The Other Boleyn Girl), Gary Oldman (Bram Stoker’s Dracula), Jean Reno (The Da Vinci Code) and Danny Aiello (Do the Right Thing). 

The Professional has a run time of 110 minutes and is rated R for scenes of strong graphic violence and for language. The International Version has a run time of 133 minutes and is Not Rated.

"Oscar ®" is the registered trademark and service mark of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

The Professional 

Catalog #: 32918

UPC Code: 043396329188

Order Date: 10/15/09

SLP:  $24.95

Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com

The Blu-ray Disc version of Leon: The Professional is BD-Live™ enabled, allowing users to get connected and go beyond the discs via an Internet-connected Blu-ray player.

The Sony Pictures Blu-ray Club rewards consumers in the U.S. for purchasing and registering BD-Live enabled Sony Blu-ray movies.  Members can redeem accumulated points for cool Sony products, plus enter to win cash and prizes in daily sweepstakes and more.  For details visitwww.sonyrewards.com/bluray.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 14 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,335 posts

Posted September 28 2009 - 01:34 AM

Talk about a blind purchase if I ever saw one.

Folks, if there is anyone....anyone.....who has never seen
this film it is the ONE Blu-ray that belongs in your collection
sight unseen.

....and be certain to watch the International version (LEON)
as I think it's a better story overall. 

Thank You, Sony, for doing the right thing with this release
and we all know it's going to look fantastic.

You can preorder it on Amazon for $16.99 by clicking here.

Ronald J Epstein

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 14 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,398 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 28 2009 - 04:22 AM

This is a must buy for me, especially at that price. I have actually never seen the U.S. theatrical version, so it will be interesting to finally see how the international cut is superior.

#4 of 14 David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted September 28 2009 - 05:39 AM

I certainly won't hesitate, with all that bang for the buck, and Sony's reputation for quality catalogue transfers.

#5 of 14 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted September 30 2009 - 06:42 PM

A must own.

You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#6 of 14 James_Kiang

James_Kiang

Screenwriter

• 1,169 posts

Posted October 01 2009 - 07:10 AM

I had heard early reports that this would include only the U.S. version of the movie.  Glad to see that was incorrect.  Off to pre-order!

EDIT: Added Heat to the order and had them ship at the same time for free.  Might get them a little later than everyone else, but still getting them :).

#7 of 14 RayRogers

RayRogers

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted October 01 2009 - 05:08 PM

Too bad about the exclusion of the isolated score in possible lossless. Glad this is only $16.99 from Amazon.com.

#8 of 14 RonR

RonR

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted November 12 2009 - 01:33 AM

Sounds like overblown contrast on this one but I am still getting it to finally replace my DVD..

#9 of 14 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,335 posts

Posted November 12 2009 - 02:08 AM

Just got my copy of this.  What would you guys like me to check? 

Ronald J Epstein

#10 of 14 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,335 posts

Posted November 12 2009 - 03:45 AM

I just quickly browsed through the Theatrical version of 
the new Blu-ray release of LEON/THE PROFESSIONAL.

You can select which version you want to watch by 
clicking PLAY on the main menu.

Someone mentioned CONTRAST levels.  I don't know if
an issue was brought up in another review posted elsewhere
however, I do see that contrast levels appear to be a bit
exaggerated.  Outdoor scenes seem to be a bit bright and
there is even a scene in the beginning of the film where Leon is
buying milk in the store and the refrigerator gives off some
rather high levels of light.

But here's the thing....

CONTRAST was mentioned in this thread so I went looking
for something that may or may not be a problem. I did not take
the time to look at the DVD transfer to compare. On a whole
the transfer looks very acceptable.  It does have a very gritty,
grainy look to it.  That's good.  

I generally don't worry about anything Sony puts out.  They
are very much on top of everything they do -- especially when
it comes to transfer quality.

Ronald J Epstein

#11 of 14 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,817 posts

Posted November 12 2009 - 10:56 PM

I preordered this along w/ Mask of Zorro from Amazon when both were just $13.99 each (apparently pricematched to BB's previous sale).  Figured Sony should be a safe enough bet for these two, which I cannot really say for any other studio (for catalog titles anyway) at this point -- well, Criterion is also generally very reliable and top notch though not actually its own studio (and haven't released that many BDs yet).

Hope Sony does not disappoint.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#12 of 14 Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,259 posts

Posted November 13 2009 - 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post

I just quickly browsed through the Theatrical version of 
the new Blu-ray release of LEON/THE PROFESSIONAL.

You can select which version you want to watch by 
clicking PLAY on the main menu.

Someone mentioned CONTRAST levels.  I don't know if
an issue was brought up in another review posted elsewhere
however, I do see that contrast levels appear to be a bit
exaggerated.  Outdoor scenes seem to be a bit bright and
there is even a scene in the beginning of the film where Leon is
buying milk in the store and the refrigerator gives off some
rather high levels of light.

But here's the thing....

CONTRAST was mentioned in this thread so I went looking
for something that may or may not be a problem. I did not take
the time to look at the DVD transfer to compare. On a whole
the transfer looks very acceptable.  It does have a very gritty,
grainy look to it.  That's good.  

I generally don't worry about anything Sony puts out.  They
are very much on top of everything they do -- especially when
it comes to transfer quality.

I watched this the other week (UK Blu-ray Disc) and I felt the same.  Apart from the contrast problem, everything else on this disc looks fantastic, and I wondered if I'd have noticed the problem had it not been pointed out to me.

Steve W
Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#13 of 14 Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,084 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted November 13 2009 - 09:58 PM

Mine doesn't ship out until the 17th so I still have to wait. Damn it.

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#14 of 14 RonR

RonR

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted November 14 2009 - 06:53 AM

Sounds like a buy for me then!