-

Photo
- - - - -

comments on purchasing a cheap HTPC.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   archp2008

archp2008

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted September 27 2009 - 05:05 AM

I am thinking about purchasing a cheap HTPC something like this
http://cgi.ebay.ca/I...4#ht_9674wt_838 only mounted in an HTPC case, of course, and substituting an internal blu-ray reader for the dvd r/w.  I already have a Denon 1708 AVR and a pair of Klipsch RF52 speakers connected to a Samsung Series 5300 Plasma.  I am temporarily also using a pair of left-over Philips speakers from one of those ghetto-blaster like component systems as side speakers.  I don't have center or rear speakers as yet. I also have a Popcorn Hour A-110 which I use as a streaming device for a movie jukebox and for network browsing, Youtube, etc  I don't have full PC capability (browsing, etc.) over the big screen as yet, though, which I why I would still like to have an HTPC on the stand. Any comments (positive or negative) on the kind of equipment that I am considering to buy would be appreciated. In particular, should I also include a PCI sound card with optical out?  The Denon does not have true HDMI audio output (it merely sends the audio input to the tv speakers ) so I have to route all the audio inputs through optical or RCA inputs on the AVR.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   archp2008

archp2008

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted September 29 2009 - 09:36 AM

I just became aware of the complications of HDCP (copy protection) I think that's the name of it.  Can anyone comment on whether or not I will have problems with this.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,574 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted September 29 2009 - 12:47 PM

For playback, you shouldnt if your machine has an HDMI port (I didnt check the auction). 

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   dfeller

dfeller

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted November 10 2009 - 05:53 AM

Only thing to worry about for now is the Blu-ray player - all the other kinds of content it sounds like you run will not be HDCP protected (downloads, streams, pictures etc.) HDMI solves that indefinitely, but as far as I recollect, component from the WMC box will work just fine up to 1080i...