What's new

Finally MMS works on iPhone (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
It went live today, apparently no update needed, it just works.
what is it 3 years, about time.

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
There is a new ATT carrier settings update that comes up for download via iTunes today though. One should probably do that...and then reboot the phone to get MMS to work. If you don't reboot and turn it all the way off, those settings will not be reloaded and MMS will not work yet. After the carrier update is installed and rebooted, it should default to MMS on, but double check in your settings>messages window that MMS is now turned on. It was never an option in that menu before today.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So, I take it, this isn't like updating the OS or anything
close to that? I have a jailbroken phone and don't want
to upgrade to anything above 3.0.1

Will the MMS work with 3.0.1 as I am uncertain what
version the iPhone is at now.

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
Ron,

It is NOT an OS update. It is only a 10k file and happens almost instantly. BUT...I do not know how it would affect a jailbroken phone's functionality. Also..to get it, you have to hit the "check for update" button in iTunes...which of course for you would also bring up the 3.1 regular update which would revert your jailbroken phone. So...it might be better to wait for the jailbreak community to incorporate the carrier settings update in their future release. Or at least wait until they define the procedure on how you would go about installing the carrier settings update, just to be safe. It should work with 3.0 and above though. Since every other iPhone in the world has this already in 3.0 except AT&T folks due to their network not being ready.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Brian W. Ralston

There is a new ATT carrier settings update that comes up for download via iTunes today though. One should probably do that...and then reboot the phone to get MMS to work. If you don't reboot and turn it all the way off, those settings will not be reloaded and MMS will not work yet. After the carrier update is installed and rebooted, it should default to MMS on, but double check in your settings>messages window that MMS is now turned on. It was never an option in that menu before today.
thats right, my mms worked early without the update because I changed my carrier settings early, about 2 weeks ago to try and get mms working early, it didn't. I forgot I had done that.

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
Ron,

Well...according to this Apple document: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3880?viewlocale=en_US

OS 3.1 is required for MMS on AT&T Network. (At least with this specific Carrier setting update in iTunes.)

[FONT= 'Lucida Grande']AT&T MMS requires iPhone OS 3.1 and a carrier settings update. Use these steps to update your iPhone to the latest iPhone OS and carrier settings:

[/FONT]
I think there is a carrier setting update (the one TonyD is referring to above)...that you could find and use for a jailbroken phone.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Over at howardforums .com is were I saw the info.
I think there is a topic there on how to update the carrier with a jb iphone.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
QWKPWN has an excellent tutorial. Took a mere
5 minutes to do. Did not have to update my OS and
now I have a little camera icon in my text message
box that I would guess implies that I now have MMS
capability.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Got it .... works. Thanks for sending the message.

Such a cool feature to have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks