What's new

Universal Cult Horrors Collection 10/15/2009 (1 Viewer)

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
This doesn't ring true.

First of all, it sounds too good to be true (it's something I predicted, or hoped, they'd release, and I seldom get what I want.)

Second, isn't it very close to the release date to just first be announcing this?

Third, why would it be 5 discs at a $59.99 SRP? None of the previous sets were anywhere near that expensive.

Fourth, and most ominously, when you click on the title on the Turner site, you get a page that says: Sorry, this item is either discontinued or does not exist.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
And you can't order it anyway....

I have grave doubts that Universal would choose Movies Unlimited to be their exclusive store (apparently, this is going to be yet another one of those crap "exclusive" deals); it sound smore like they are going to get hold of copes - just as they somehow manage to sell the Warner Archive range.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Oh, forgot to add: the release date, I could beleive. Universal did this with their first Cult-Sci-Fi set - exclusive to Best Buy - the news of that broke mere weeks before the release day.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Originally Posted by Nebiroth

Oh, forgot to add: the release date, I could beleive. Universal did this with their first Cult-Sci-Fi set - exclusive to Best Buy - the news of that broke mere weeks before the release day.
Oh, yes, that's right, now that you mention it.

Now, Oct. 15 is a Thursday ... I usually expect release dates to be Tuesdays.

I'm holding on to a shred of hope, but not much.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
If it's for real, we'll probably know in the next week or so. Not the first time that the early word on a release was chock full of errors.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'm rather upset that a lot of fans over at the Classic Horror Film Board are now complaining about the titles included in this new set, as well as the price for all 5 films. I'm coming to believe more than ever that it's true what some of you say: "People will always compain when it comes to DVD and are never satisfied".

The titles in this set are said to be:

MURDERS IN THE ZOO
THE MAD GHOUL
HOUSE OF HORRORS
MAD DOCTOR OF MARKET STREET (Never before on home video)
THE STRANGE CASE OF DR. Rx (Never before on home video)

Price is said to be $49.99 (down from $59.99?).

Other than the highly-wanted classic ISLAND OF LOST SOULS, I can't imagine what caliber of 30s and 40s Universal Horror Films the fans thought were left? What else did they want?

I know I'm reacting to the other forum's response at the moment (this one's hasn't kicked in yet) but I think it's very unfortunate if fans don't try to find the positive in this release. At least Universal is still opening their vaults at a time where old movies on DVD are very "iffy".

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee
I think there were two kickers:

1. No Island of Lost Souls AGAIN, instead 2 or 3 fairly second string titles plus 1 year goodie.

2. The price is a lot to pay for a bare bones set in a time when people have less money for pleasures. Its also ludicrously overpriced compared to Universal's previous sets. More then 100% more!

Its unfair to expect everyone to suddenly magic up $50 for one particular set, and people who see this as an overpriced piss take or something that is outside their DVD allowance should not be looked down upon for chosing to spend their money elsewhere by certain egotistical commentators

I do want the set, I really do. Its just lost total priority because its far too expensive for me at the moment.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
MURDERS IN THE ZOO is a lot better than ISLAND in my opinion. MAD DOCTOR and STRANGE CASE are decent at best. I'm not sure if I've seen the other two but $50 is too much for me as well. However, this is the price you pay for releasing unknown movies that only die-hards want and not having someone like Best Buy backing you up.

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott

MURDERS IN THE ZOO is a lot better than ISLAND in my opinion. MAD DOCTOR and STRANGE CASE are decent at best. I'm not sure if I've seen the other two but $50 is too much for me as well. However, this is the price you pay for releasing unknown movies that only die-hards want and not having someone like Best Buy backing you up.
Yeah, I think its just a bad deal after the fair prices of Universal's other releases. If Universal always charged this much, I doubt you'd see the complaints. I know some people like to call that "spoiled" in order to shame those with an opposing view but I just don't think its good salesmanship. And since Universal is responsible for the shoddy DVD-18 sets, and two sets that could only be obtained from a very restrictive dealer; is it any wonder people chose to spend their money elsewhere?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by James 'Tiger' Lee

I know some people like to call that "spoiled" in order to shame those with an opposing view but I just don't think its good salesmanship.
As you know, I'm one of those who feels it's because WE (which inlcudes ME) have been spoiled. And it's got nothing to do with trying to "shame" anyone, but rather an honest feeling about the situation. I include myself in there - we got DVDs too cheap for too long, so we feel hesitant to pay "a lot more".

Those of us who can remember back a long way can compare prices. Back in 1989 I'll never forget the day when I saw SON OF DRACULA and SON OF FRANKENSTEIN first released on lousy VHS tapes for $29.99 each! I bought both of them, and didn't blink an eye - and that was in 1989 dollars. I guess it was because I hadn't been spoiled at that point.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I agree with you Jamie. As much as I love MURDERS, there are dozens more would who buy ISLAND is a heartbeat. I think they're really screwing themselves going this way but the fans cried about Best Buy so we're stuck with this. It is strange that ISLAND and THE UNINVITED are two titles that could sell on their own yet they're still in the vault.

If the set isn't available at Netflix then I'll just get HOUSE and and GHOUL on VHS somewhere cheap.

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee

I agree with you Jamie. As much as I love MURDERS, there are dozens more would who buy ISLAND is a heartbeat. I think they're really screwing themselves going this way but the fans cried about Best Buy so we're stuck with this. It is strange that ISLAND and THE UNINVITED are two titles that could sell on their own yet they're still in the vault.

If the set isn't available at Netflix then I'll just get HOUSE and and GHOUL on VHS somewhere cheap.
Well the Best Buy deal was just totally ludicrous. You could not get the sets if you lived outside of the US, and even in the US it was fairly tricky. Had it been an Amazon exclusive, there would have been no problem. When you prevent people from buying your products, what can you expect? I only got the Best Buy set thanks to a kind member on CHFB. There was no other way of getting it without paying scalper prices.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

If I get this DVD set, I'll be wanting to unload the VHS tapes... they're in mint condition.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Have Mad Ghoul ,House of Horrors and Murders in the Zoo on VHS. Like all 3. Ghoul and Murders more. have wanted to see Mad Doctor of Market Street and Strange case of Dr RX.Even if they are considered lesser films i still want them.I will shop around for the best price. I'm just thrilled they are coming out.

BradleyS

Stunt Coordinator
It's funny that there hasn't been as much of an uproar about Sony's new releases. In the Warner Archive thread, everyone is using them as an example of what the other studios should be doing.

Columbia Film Noir: 5 movies, $59.95
Sam Fuller Collection: 7 movies, $79.95
William Castle Collection: 8 movies, $80.95

Like it or not, this looks to be the new model (for the time being, at least) for classic film releases. They know they're not going to sell very many, so they raise the list price. It's probably the only way for these older films to be profitable. It's almost like people forget the studios release DVDs in order to make money. Let's be honest -- these are obscure films with very limited appeal. One inevitably pays a premium for something that lacks wide appeal, just like one would for a small print run of a rare book.

Everyone seems to want the studios to empty their vaults, carefully restore all of their most obscure films, and release them immediately on DVD for less than $5 a disc. But that's a fantasy. If the current price is too expensive, just wait a couple of months for the Deep Discount sale and pick it up for $35 or so. And if $7/film is too much for you, then you probably don't want this set in the first place.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
You're assuming a general release. Apparently this one will follow the pattern of the last three "cult" ones from Universal and be exclusive; this time from TCM, rather than Best Buy. The Horror Archive set has taken two years to hit general release, and there's always the risk that if it;s a particularly bad seller, it won;t go on general release at all. And of course, no price competition means, the price stays high.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks