What's new

Charlie's Angels (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I was at future shop the either night in Canada and picked season #2 and #3 for $57, including taxes. I think Charlie's Angels best season are 1-3. When Kate Jackson left after season #3 the series went down hill when they added Shelly Hack (4th) and then replace her with Tanya Roberts (5th). I will still collect them, because it is classic show. Aaron Spelling did some amazing work in 1970s around police dramas.

PS: I know there are threads around Charlie's Angels, but, i did not want to waste time looking for the threads.

Regards,
Paul

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
It was a quiet saturday night, so i decided to throw in Charlie's Angel season 1. I watched Angels in Chains and it was a great episode. It is hard to believe that this show is over 35 years old. I was kid when the show first aired. I also remember having the trading cards.

I have S1-S3 on dvd. I lke to purchase S4, but, i am not a big fan of Shelly Hack as i much perfer Kate Jackson. However, i do have a better understanding of Farah Fawcett, especially in her role as Jill Monroe. Farah has the right amount of lines and does a decent job. I was ok with Cheryl Ladd joining from S2-S5, she was a cuttie to back in the 1970s and 1980s. Who did not have a Farah Fawcett and/or Loni Anderson poster growing up?

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i remember being a kid and getting a peak at Tanya Roberts' playboy spread. She was dished as auburn hair. I have S1-S3 on dvd and held off on S4, because i did not like Shelly Hack. I will pick S4 down the road and/or if S5 of Charlie's Angels is released.

Tanya was also in a few movies, like the bestmaster.

unfortunately, she has not aged all that great. I remember seeing her on the That's 70s show.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by younger1968
i remember being a kid and getting a peak at Tanya Roberts' playboy spread. She was dished as auburn hair. I have S1-S3 on dvd and held off on S4, because i did not like Shelly Hack. I will pick S4 down the road and/or if S5 of Charlie's Angels is released.

Tanya was also in a few movies, like the bestmaster.

unfortunately, she has not aged all that great. I remember seeing her on the That's 70s show.
That's what drugs will do to you. That 70s show must have the record for most cast members let go for substance issues. Roberts, Tommy Chong, the chick who played the older sister, who got booted twice.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
Actually Tanya asked to be let go from That '70s Show because her longtime husband was very sick and she wanted to care for him full-time.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Hi all,
I decided to watch the pilot last night for Charlie's Angels and it is amazing how young and beautiful Jaclyn Smith, Farah Fawcett-Majors and Kate Jackson look in 1976. I was big fan of Jaclyn Smith and she will always look amazing too me!!!

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
For those looking for the complete series in stores Target has it for I believe if my eyes didn't deceive me for $44.99 and the outer case seemed rather sturdy I was surprised! It looked really nice. My Target location only had one copy... but it was cool they were carrying it. It was on one of their 4 Way Displays that usually contains the New Releases but on the side. (Other stores may stock it elsewhere)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Unfortunately, the interior shows the discs piled up in stacks like other Sony "complete" series sets of the past and if you don't keep the cheap cardboard cutouts they put on top of the discs, they're liable to roll out if you handle the box wrong. Jeers to Sony for the packaging on this one.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by Jack P /t/293316/charlies-angels#post_3979847
Unfortunately, the interior shows the discs piled up in stacks like other Sony "complete" series sets of the past and if you don't keep the cheap cardboard cutouts they put on top of the discs, they're liable to roll out if you handle the box wrong. Jeers to Sony for the packaging on this one.

Yeah I was kind of afraid of that... it slipped my mind. Really too bad, and yeah annoying. I guess if I end up getting it I will remove a season at a time as I watch them in regular cases so I don't' mess up the discs so much. I doubt Best Buy is stocking the set... but still the Target $44.99 price isn't bad for the full series... I may pick it up later this week. The BOND 50 set kind of put a hold on my spending.

Clay_E

Second Unit
younger1968 said:
i remember being a kid and getting a peak at Tanya Roberts' playboy spread. She was dished as auburn hair.
She was absolutely stunning with auburn hair--still a very sexy lady as a blonde, but I remember catching some of her, erm, more adult work on Cinemax and the like and thinking how much hotter those scenes would've been if she'd still had the auburn look.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Powell&Pressburger said:
I may pick it up later this week. The BOND 50 set kind of put a hold on my spending. 
I was looking at that set on amazon today. Great way to buy the movies if you don't already own too many of them.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I received the complete series and will watch S5 starting tonight. I do not remember much about S5 as i had moved on to other shows. I am disappointed in the packaging as it is spindle, which is similar to Good Times and Sanford & Son.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
rmw650 said:
I've not seen this anywhere in the retail stores but waiting for it to come down a little more in price before biting on this set.
cheaper than $99 ?
Ok, well I guess that depends on how much the 22 movies are worth to someone.
$4.50 per movie is pretty good to me.
It's sort of crazy that the last box set of 21 movies was $350
and now the new 50th anniversary set is $99.
Glad i didn't buy the last one!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000V3JGI8/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
rmw650 said:
Grant, I was referring to the TV show complete series set, not the movies. That's what I am waiting for the price to go down on as it just got released this past Tuesday.
You may have to wait a few years. It usually takes 2-3 years before you see a substantial drop off in price. I picked up the set and i am not please with the spindle. I kept the cardboard that protected the disks, but the packaging is very shoddy. I guess the studio wanted to reduce the cost, so they did the spindle.
I have watch some S5 episodes and the first few episodes are shot in Hawaii. It is neat seeing the Angels in Hawaii. Tanya Roberts is ok in the show, but is no Kate Jackson. I really feel sorry for how the let Shelly Hack go. Shelly is mention in the first episode of S5 that she is in Boston. Tanya is hired after episode 1 and there is no mention to what happen to Shelly Hack.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
rmw650 said:
Hoping it will go down a tad in price and maybe with the holidays forthcoming, there wil be a sale or two on this set. Haven't seen this show in ages.
It will be interesting what will be on sale as the Holidays approach. My biggest bargain snatch last year was the entire I Love Lucy Box set for around 70 Bux. :D We are less than two months away from "The National Day of Insanity".

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
It is funny that i did not care much for Tanya Roberts when she joined Charlie's Angels. However, I have watched about 8 episodes of S5 and would have to say Tanya Roberts adding something unique to her Angel Role. Don't get me wrong the Kate Jackson is still one of my favorites as she seem to be brain of the team.
The first few episodes of S5 were neat because they were filmed in Hawaii. I think timing is neat as Hawaii Five-O had just wrapped up S12 and Magnum PI was doing S1. It would have been neat to do Magnum PI and Charlie's Angel joint case, but i realize that is not possible due to ownership issue. However, a crossover episode with Magnum PI would have been special.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have watch all of S5 now and i was pleasantly surprised that quality was decent. Tanya Roberts character actually grows on you. I think she added and interesting approaches to cases as most of her assignment were showing her in tight outfits, shorts and/or bikinis. I notice with S5 that Jaclyn Smith was more cover up and seem to be leader of the girls. I have always been a big fan of Jaclyn Smith as she was my favourite brunnette growing up!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks