Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Are Theatrical Trailers Public Domain?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   regionalunity5

regionalunity5

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted July 28 2012 - 04:42 AM

It's a good question and one that I need to know for the same reasons as you. Like you, I have been "told" that theatrical trailers are in PD. I would like to line up 6 of them for a "Fun" trailer to my feature presentation. Like you, I need to cover my ___ just to make sure I don't get sued!

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,126 posts

Posted July 28 2012 - 03:42 PM

It's a good question and one that I need to know for the same reasons as you. Like you, I have been "told" that theatrical trailers are in PD. I would like to line up 6 of them for a "Fun" trailer to my feature presentation. Like you, I need to cover my ___ just to make sure I don't get sued!

My best previous post is still relevant http://www.hometheat...in#post_3610727

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Mark Oates

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted July 28 2012 - 04:39 PM

While I agree with the lawyers on this thread to seek legal advice, I'd say the cheapest and soundest temporary standpoint would be to err on the side of caution. In other words "are theatrical trailers public domain?" NO.
J Mark Oates
Do Not Be Afraid. That sound is simply my mind boggling.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,126 posts

Posted July 30 2012 - 09:17 AM

While I agree with the lawyers on this thread to seek legal advice, I'd say the cheapest and soundest temporary standpoint would be to err on the side of caution. In other words "are theatrical trailers public domain?" NO.
Er, that's like saying "No Works are in the Public Domain" As stated before, HOFFHEINZ vs. A&E identifies a trailer as a separate work from the film ,and thus would fall under the same guidelines under the copyright laws as an individual work, requiring it's own copyright registration. So if a trailer meets the guidelines of being in the public domain as with any work - never registered with the 28 year window,registered but not renewed, or missing-incorrect-malformed copyright notice not corrected in the proper time-frame- it's in the public domain. Anyone seeking legal advice will be told these same facts as they come straight from the copyright office.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users