-

Photo
- - - - -

Cronenberg to direct a new version of the fly remake

David Prior

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,016 posts

Posted September 24 2009 - 02:49 AM

its been reported that cronenberg will remake his remake of the fly. this could be very interesting.. any thoughts on the matter? hopefully you can do the dvd/bluray again?
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=59439
Jacob

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   42nd Street Freak

42nd Street Freak

Supporting Actor

• 636 posts

Posted October 20 2009 - 11:20 AM

If his remake of "The Fly" was one of the few really valid and defensible remakes...His remake of his remake of "the Fly" is one of the most invalid indefensible remakes.

What is the point?
All the reasons why his remake was a good move are null and void for this one.

Must have too much spare time on his hands.

BEARDY FREAK REVIEWS
www.beardyfreak.com

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts

Posted October 26 2009 - 07:25 AM

Count me in as being incredibly intrigued by this. His '86 remake is masterful, and Cronenberg has grown even more as a filmmaker since. I am not sure I understand the previous posters vehemence in rejecting the validity and defensibility (does it need defending already?) of this project idea, but a new interpretation by the remakes original filmmaker is something to be excited about (in my humble opinion, of course).

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted October 28 2009 - 08:40 AM

I hope he hires a good cinematographer this time - we're never going to get a decent hi-def transfer of the '86 version on Blu-ray because of the way he shot the movie. Either that or Fox just didn't put much effort into the release.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Producer

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted November 04 2009 - 02:38 AM

What is wrong with the Blu Ray release of The Fly ?

It looks very good to me as in being a faithful presentation of the shot movie.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted November 13 2009 - 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder 

What is wrong with the Blu Ray release of The Fly ?

It looks very good to me as in being a faithful presentation of the shot movie.

Every Blu-ray review I've read has given this release a poor grade on picture quality. Its probably not the studios' fault - this film always had a harsh, grainy and overly bright look to it and it has never looked good on any format. I'm satisfied with the excellent DVD version.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Producer

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted March 18 2010 - 04:03 AM

The DVD version is lower resolution and has less detail.

Grain is a byproduct of film and is often essential for keeping the detail intact. The alternative is grain sucking digital noise reduction and the loss of detail that comes with it.

As long as the film is re-produced on Blu Ray ( grain and all ) then i am happy.

Check this site out and then tell me the DVD is preferable. It lets you see just how much extra detail the Blu Ray has by using mouseovers for each frame. Now not all scenes have much extra detail but thats because the film has a flat look to it and thats just the way it was shot, but check each frame at that site below and you will see not only is there extra detail but the noise present on the DVD edition is gone to be replaced by gorgeous fine film grain which incidentally looks much better in motion than in screencaps.

Can the film look better ?  I doubt it will look much better because of the camera's and film stock used during the production.

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/index.php?vergleich=the_fly

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted March 18 2010 - 05:44 AM

Malcolm the reason I said I was satisfied with the DVD is precisely because the image on the Blu-ray looks flat, not because of the grain - I know film grain is a good thing in terms of preserving a "film-like" image in hi-def. I don't see the point in buying a Blu-ray when it's not going to be a huge leap in quality