What's new

Wizard Of Oz and Gremlins out 9/29: Post Your Finds! (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the heads up, Jeff. I'm in Australia, and I can't find it on the web site. If anyone can find me a link to an order page for Wizard of Oz plz post here.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
In case you don't want to or just want the info it is Oz on blu as a stand alone release only at Target for $35 and Gremlins on blu for $23 also only at Target.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
someone at avs forum is saying they picked Oz blu at walmart for $20.

I don't believe it.

drn211

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel Negin
@TonyD... are you sure they didn't mean the DVD. If that Walmart had it on Blu then jumped the gun on the release which isn't til next Tues. Also Gremlins hasn't been announced so this can't be right.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Gremlins is a wrong---he should have said Goonies....

But Digitalbits IS reporting the $35 price for bare-bones Wizard of Oz.

Well I take that back, Digitalbits DID say Gremlins in Blu-ray !!!
They are saying it's an early release for target ONLY and then will later be available to other retailers.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've seen the ad.

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Target exclusives[/COLOR]:

WoO (non-UCE) for $34.99
Gremlins: $22.99

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It has been a long day at work, I'm a little tired, and
now frustrated after trying to figure out this TARGET
advertisement.

Is this for real? I realize THE BITS has it on their
site but merely for the sake of an ad that could be
a misprint.

I don't get it. THE WIZARD OF OZ and GREMLINS.
OZ in a version never meant to be available and
GREMLINS which hasn't even benn announced.

Before I actually go to the store on Tuesday, I just
would like some confirmation as to whether this is
actually a legitimate ad or some sort of misprint.

I had a similar situation in Australia recently where this Studio Canal series was announced as being an exclusive of a particular store. The only info I had up to two days before release day was a single print ad; then suddenly preorders appeared on the store's website, and sure enough the items came true on the store's shelves. They were not reported on any release list web site, nor any other store, nor even the web site of the store itself until two days before. Crazy, but I guess its rare, and probably rare in your experience in the US, based on some things some other posters have said.

This has been reported on several other sites now, including Bluray.com and High-Def Digest. All based only on that print ad. There has been confirmation on a thread on the bluray.com forum from a target employee that he has Gremlins in his computer as being released next week. He didn't actually mention Oz in his post, however.

I think we can safely assume that studios aren't being entirely open about their release schedules, and that none of these exclusives are included in those lists; they are left to be announced, or not announced, by the retailers themselves. I've heard people say that they knew about exclusives in the past, but I wonder if those were announced by the studio or by the retailer?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I won't post the whole ad as it would violate HTF rules. Here, however, is the section to confirm this rather major news of the two unannounced exclusives:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Uh uh, Ben. I'm not going to be the rule breaker in this instance.

They're serious on this issue around here. It's not inconsequential.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I think I'll swing by Wal-Mart instead on Tuesday to get the $20 version, and hopefully the $20 Woodstock will still be there, too. Is Wal-Mart carrying the $20 version of Casablanca?

Claude S

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if the Target exclusive of THE WIZARD OF OZ will be a two disc set or one? If it is two discs, than all of the special feature pertaining to the movie will be included. The deluxe set will come with four discs and one of the disc will be on the history of MGM, WHEN THE LION ROARS. The 4th disc will be a digital copy of the movie. I already have WTLR on laserdisc and DVD and I am not interested in the digital copy and the printed materials that will come in the set so the Target exclusive will be all I need if it is a two disc set.

-Claude

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That does seem rather surprising -- and we're not even talking about an Amazon or Best Buy exclusive here, but Target?? If true, this could be one more notable step (maybe even a milestone) toward Blu-ray going mainstream.

Meanwhile, I'm loving that Grelims is arriving on BD -- never even got it on DVD (much like Poltergeist in that regard) and can't remember the last time I watched it at all. Hopefully, the PQ/AQ is good and it doesn't turn out to be another Short Circuit kinda thing though (where I buy it -- the DVD -- only to realize how bad my taste in movies were way back in the 80's ).

Still, at $35 for WoOz, I think I'm gonna pass on that for now...

_Man_

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Meh, if the Target edition doesn't include the MGM doc, then I'm passing. I'll keep my $45 preorder at WBshop intact. I would think, though, that for $35, it would be a 3 disc edition. Just not DC and no trinkets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.