Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Wizard Of Oz and Gremlins out 9/29: Post Your Finds!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
94 replies to this topic

#1 of 95 OFFLINE   Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter

• 1,266 posts

Posted September 23 2009 - 03:20 PM

A Target exclusive. http://forum.dvdtalk...r-2-2009-a.html
Jeff Whitford
Hometheater Guru ?

#2 of 95 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted September 23 2009 - 04:10 PM

Thanks for the heads up, Jeff. I'm in Australia, and I can't find it on the web site. If anyone can find me a link to an order page for Wizard of Oz plz post here.

#3 of 95 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,203 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted September 23 2009 - 04:17 PM

In case you don't want to or just want the info it is Oz on blu as a stand alone release only at Target for $35 and Gremlins on blu for $23 also only at Target.

facebook.com/whotony

#4 of 95 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted September 24 2009 - 01:23 AM

What's up with Gremlins???  It wasn't even announced, was it?

#5 of 95 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted September 24 2009 - 01:57 AM

Forget it; Target don't ship internationally.

#6 of 95 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,203 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted September 24 2009 - 04:15 AM

someone at avs forum is saying they picked Oz blu at walmart for $20.

I don't believe it.

facebook.com/whotony

#7 of 95 OFFLINE   drn211

drn211

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted September 24 2009 - 08:59 AM

@TonyD... are you sure they didn't mean the DVD.  If that Walmart had it on Blu then jumped the gun on the release which isn't til next Tues.   Also Gremlins hasn't been announced so this can't be right.

#8 of 95 OFFLINE   Camper

Camper

Second Unit

• 351 posts

Posted September 24 2009 - 09:02 AM

Gremlins is a wrong---he should have said Goonies....

But Digitalbits IS reporting the $35 price for bare-bones Wizard of Oz.

Well I take that back, Digitalbits DID say Gremlins in Blu-ray !!!
They are saying it's an early release for target ONLY and then will later be available to other retailers.

#9 of 95 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,855 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 24 2009 - 09:08 AM

I've seen the ad. 

Target exclusives: 

WoO (non-UCE) for $34.99
Gremlins: $22.99

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#10 of 95 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted September 24 2009 - 01:35 PM

Guys, check out Page Four of the thread "A Few Words About... The Wizard of Oz in Blu Ray" here: http://www.hometheat...90#post_3609940

A guy has taken a tiny picture of his Wizard of Oz blu ray he got at Wal Mart for 19.99.

#11 of 95 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,279 posts

Posted September 24 2009 - 01:47 PM

It has been a long day at work, I'm a little tired, and
now frustrated after trying to figure out this TARGET
advertisement.

Is this for real?  I realize THE BITS has it on their
site but merely for the sake of an ad that could be
a misprint.

I don't get it.  THE WIZARD OF OZ and GREMLINS.
OZ in a version never meant to be available and
GREMLINS which hasn't even benn announced.

Before I actually go to the store on Tuesday, I just
would like some confirmation as to whether this is
actually a legitimate ad or some sort of misprint.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#12 of 95 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,855 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 24 2009 - 02:01 PM

Ron:

I've seen the ad.  It is as you state it.  They are both clearly labeled as Target Exclusives.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#13 of 95 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted September 24 2009 - 02:09 PM

I had a similar situation in Australia recently where this Studio Canal series was announced as being an exclusive of a particular store. The only info I had up to two days before release day was a single print ad; then suddenly preorders appeared on the store's website, and sure enough the items came true on the store's shelves. They were not reported on any release list web site, nor any other store, nor even the web site of the store itself until two days before. Crazy, but I guess its rare, and probably rare in your experience in the US, based on some things some other posters have said.

This has been reported on several other sites now, including Bluray.com and High-Def Digest. All based only on that print ad. There has been confirmation on a thread on the bluray.com forum from a target employee that he has Gremlins in his computer as being released next week. He didn't actually mention Oz in his post, however.

I think we can safely assume that studios aren't being entirely open about their release schedules, and that none of these exclusives are included in those lists; they are left to be announced, or not announced, by the retailers themselves. I've heard people say that they knew about exclusives in the past, but I wonder if those were announced by the studio or by the retailer?

#14 of 95 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,855 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 24 2009 - 02:20 PM

I won't post the whole ad as it would violate HTF rules.  Here, however, is the section to confirm this rather major news of the two unannounced exclusives:

Posted Image

#15 of 95 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted September 24 2009 - 02:21 PM

This full ad has already been posted several places across many different forums, including I believe in RAH's Oz thread:

http://www.hometheat...90#post_3609940

(Corrected: point taken Mike)

#16 of 95 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,855 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 24 2009 - 02:24 PM

Uh uh, Ben.  I'm not going to be the rule breaker in this instance. 

They're serious on this issue around here.  It's not inconsequential. 

#17 of 95 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted September 25 2009 - 03:27 AM

I think I'll swing by Wal-Mart instead on Tuesday to get the $20 version, and hopefully the $20 Woodstock will still be there, too. Is Wal-Mart carrying the $20 version of Casablanca?

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#18 of 95 OFFLINE   Claude S

Claude S

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted September 25 2009 - 08:08 AM

Does anyone know if the Target exclusive of THE WIZARD OF OZ will be a two disc set or one? If it is two discs, than all of the special feature pertaining to the movie will be included. The deluxe set will come with four discs and one of the disc will be on the history of MGM, WHEN THE LION ROARS. The 4th disc will be a digital copy of the movie. I already have WTLR  on laserdisc and DVD and I am not interested in the digital copy and the printed materials that will come in the set so the Target exclusive will be all I need if it is a two disc set.

-Claude 

#19 of 95 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,870 posts

Posted September 25 2009 - 08:30 AM

That does seem rather surprising -- and we're not even talking about an Amazon or Best Buy exclusive here, but Target??  If true, this could be one more notable step (maybe even a milestone) toward Blu-ray going mainstream.

Meanwhile, I'm loving that Grelims is arriving on BD -- never even got it on DVD (much like Poltergeist in that regard) and can't remember the last time I watched it at all.  Hopefully, the PQ/AQ is good and it doesn't turn out to be another Short Circuit kinda thing though (where I buy it -- the DVD -- only to realize how bad my taste in movies were way back in the 80's /img/vbsmilies/htf/tongue.gif"> ).<br /></span>
<br />
Still, at $35 for WoOz, I think I'm gonna pass on that for now...<br />
<br />
_Man_<br />

<br />

</div>

<div class= Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#20 of 95 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted September 25 2009 - 09:01 AM

Meh, if the Target edition doesn't include the MGM doc, then I'm passing. I'll keep my $45 preorder at WBshop intact. I would think, though, that for $35, it would be a 3 disc edition. Just not DC and no trinkets.