What's new

Star Trek: The Next Generation Movie Collection (1 Viewer)

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
I'm surprised to see no coverage on this release anywhere so I will offer my thoughts on it.

Very briefly, First Contact - Nemesis are the best looking of the four. I can see no evidence of any manipulation of the image in any of these. However, Generations kinda has the appearance of *some* DNR being applied, especially in the early portion of the movie before the jump to TNG. This continues to support the theory that old masters are being used where feasible. The TrueHD audio tracks are great across the board, but just like with Braveheart, they seem a bit more subdued than I was expecting. I find that I have to crank the volume up more on these Paramount releases compared to other Blu-Ray discs from the same period.

I haven't checked the extras much at this time but they appeared to be packed with goodness.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm focusing on review discs (which does not include this set); so I've only had time to glance at Generations, and I skipped right to the TNG section, because that has never looked right in any version (and I've had every one, including the laser disc). Well, it finally looks right. The acid test has always been Brent Spiner's make-up, which, even at DVD resolution, caused serious aliasing because of the rough textures and the harsh lighting that seems to have been toned down in later TNG films. But the Blu-ray has sufficient resolution to handle the detail without problems. The very funny (and then very tense) scene where Geordie and Data are searching the wrecked space station finally looks like it should.

It's going to be a while before I can get to the others. I'm sure Pat Wahlquist is working on the official HTF review.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I was so excited to see the preview for Star Trek (J.J. Abrams) at the start of these discs. "Available now on Blu-Ray and DVD" it said! Thank goodness, I thought I was going to have to wait until mid November to pick that up! Now, where can I go to buy it???

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Thanks for the info. Incidentally, when I mentioned not seeing any coverage, I wasn't referring to just Home Theater Forum.

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben

I'm focusing on review discs (which does not include this set); so I've only had time to glance at Generations, and I skipped right to the TNG section, because that has never looked right in any version (and I've had every one, including the laser disc). Well, it finally looks right. The acid test has always been Brent Spiner's make-up, which, even at DVD resolution, caused serious aliasing because of the rough textures and the harsh lighting that seems to have been toned down in later TNG films. But the Blu-ray has sufficient resolution to handle the detail without problems. The very funny (and then very tense) scene where Geordie and Data are searching the wrecked space station finally looks like it should.

It's going to be a while before I can get to the others. I'm sure Pat Wahlquist is working on the official HTF review.

The review copies just came today, but I can't guarantee I'll get them all done this weekend. Would you guys like some updates as I go along prior to the formal review?

Paramount has been exceptionally spotty with review product recently, to the point Adam and I are going "WTF?" almost every week. Titles due out over the past two weeks have yet to arrive and yet I got the ST set today. I'm hoping Paramount gets its act together prior to the new movies BD release.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by PatWahlquist ), but if others are on the fence, they'd probably appreciate an interim report.

That's unfortunate about the Paramount review copies. Kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Picked the set up and watched the bonus disc.
I'm debating whether or not to wait and rent Treks 1, 5 and 6 and have a full Blu-ray marathon or not before watching these new releases.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I've been focusing on Generations. I haven't seen it since I watched it in the theater. It Looks utterly fantastic. I forgot all about Data's "Emotion Chip". I love it. I can't wait to get to the others.

BrettV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett Voss
anybody notice that these blu-rays seem physically thinner then most others? Very bendable ... not that I'm bending them or anything.

I love having TNG movies on Blu Ray!!

As far as the tv series (and DS9 and VOYAGER), even if they can't upconvert the video or whatever the problem is, would it be worth a release if they are LOADED with extras? I mean audio and video commentaries on episodes, adding the Best Buy exclusive disc extras, etc. I would buy it.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
I've only looked at Generations and First Contact so far. I have a 42" LCD HDTV and I am not the best judge of A/V quality.

-The Anthony Pascale/Damon Lindelof commentary on FC is okay but it's nothing we haven't heard before (which seems to be a running theme here). Lindelof's sense of humor might get on some people's nerves but it's worth a listen.

-The FC roundtable was okay. I really wish Jeff Bond had actually been on some of these commentaries. He's a film/music historian (and writes liner notes for plenty of vintage score releases) and I would've loved to get his thoughts on the passing of Alexander Courage and Leonard Rosenman, not to mention Jerry Goldsmith.

Re: the bonus disc - I only watched "Villains of Star Trek" and "We Love the Star Trek Movies". "Villains" was interesting and it was nice to get Nick Meyer's take on the films he didn't direct. (What was with the handheld camera during his interview?) "We Love..." is just a little 5-minute fluff piece with Orci/Kurtzman, the Reeves-Stevens, Robert Hewitt Wolfe, and a couple others talking about their favorite moments.

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
I was pretty disappointed with the breadth of the subjects on the bonus disk. The only thing of real substance (unless there are hidden easter eggs) is the piece on the closing of "Star Trek: The Experience" (although I do wish they would have delved a little into why it was being closed).

As for the movies, I have only looked at parts of "Generations" so far. Visually it is so far ahead of the DVD releases that it almost looks like a new movie. Unfortunately, the improved PQ doesn't change my opinion that it is the stupidest Trek movie ever made.

And I agree that the McCarthy piece is really pretty good. Although, I thought the roundtable was pretty worthless.

I'm look forward to spinning the rest of them this weekend.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I've been concentrating on the Star Trek TOS S2 release, so I have not opened this set yet. Of the extras, the main thing for me is the Andrew Probert piece. I agree his interview should be deserving of more depth. I met him once.

I can't watch Generations. It shouldn't have been made! First Contact would have been a better first film. but I can see them thinking it was too obvious a story to make into a film.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Rented Star Trek Generations on blu from Netflix. Just watched it with the kids. Great movie. This is my favorite next gen film. After this they went way downhill, at least imho.

Anyway, as for the pic quality of Generations in Blu, I can say that overall I was quite pleased. It's maybe about 4 out of 5. There are rich details and colors throughout. I never saw before (maybe not even in the theater) that the insides of the guitarian (sp?) eggs that Kirk cooks in the nexus are dark green when you see them for a sec on the tray. Good details of skin, etc. Once on an early scene in the movie it looks like Shatner has a blackhead/zit on his upper lip! Mostly they are good details, however. Special effects look great. Data and his emotion chip are a lot of fun throughout: "Oh sh**!"

Dark scenes weren't so well handled in the scene in the stables or on the ruined enterprise at the end. But overall, great pq and great film. I love Dr. Tholian Soren, brilliantly played by Malcolm McDowell: "They say that time is the fire in which we all burn!" One of the best bad guys in Star Trek history. Up there with Khaaaaaaaan! for me....

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Originally Posted by benbess But I agree completely. He's half the reason I really hope for a Wing Commander III-IV rerelease...

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Thanks for the spelling help AT! The mental spell check has no teeth in the nexus of my brain!

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
If I'm lucky, I'll get my set by tomorrow. Things have been a little tense here, so we'll see. Anyway, I'm glad to here the positive reports so far. My wife and I are looking forward to seeing these movies except, maybe, "Generations". We didn't like "Generations" when it came out, but that was a long time ago. Who knows, maybe we'll like it better now.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

I can't watch Generations. It shouldn't have been made! First Contact would have been a better first film. but I can see them thinking it was too obvious a story to make into a film.
Generations really isn't as bad as all that . Just to see the two captains acting together is classic. It's not my favorite, but it sure as heck isn't my least favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks