Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is NBC Up for Sale, Vivendi may be getting out

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,066 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted September 23 2009 - 04:09 AM

http://www.deadline....-ready-for-ipo/

When it rains, it pours.

Quote:

I've learned that last week, during a visit to the West Coast, NBC Universal chief Jeff Zucker told both Universal and NBC, "We have to be ready in case Vivendi exits for an IPO of that 20% stake." This is why, as I reported last week, the brass have been asking for more and deeper financial information than years past prior to the Vivendi put coming due. Meanwhile, the rumors keep coming fast and furious. The latest (#3, if you're keeping count) is also one of the most persistent despite denials on all sides: that some deal negotiation is underway between Time Warner and GE over all or part of NBCU.

GE may be in a mood to consider buy out options here.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,909 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted September 23 2009 - 05:12 AM

Chuck fans, let's pool our money.

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Camper

Camper

Second Unit

• 351 posts

Posted September 23 2009 - 05:20 AM

Wrong thread !!

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,401 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 23 2009 - 08:17 AM

I don't see TimeWarner in a position to buy NBC Universal, and I don't see the FTC approving it if they did. Such a deal would mean three major studios (Warner Bros, New Line and Universal), two major networks (NBC and the CW), 10 major TV stations, 150 magazine titles, as well as significant real estate holdings in New York and Los Angeles would be wholly or substantially owned by a single company.

And even through some of the worst years in both Universal and NBC's existence, NBC Universal remains one of GE's higher margin businesses. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see Vivendi dump its 20 percent stake in the company. I've been waiting for the shoe to drop ever since the merger happened.

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,066 posts

Posted September 30 2009 - 03:15 PM

Comcast is apparently in negotiations to buy.

http://www.thewrap.com/article/exclusive-comcast-buy-nbc-universal-general-electric-8002

trakt.tv

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,401 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 30 2009 - 03:31 PM

I dunno, why did a site nobody's ever heard of get this exclusive? Who are the "knowledgeable individuals" cited? Or the "executives familiar with the meeting"? Or the "two individuals informed about the meeting"? A non-established cite that couldn't name a single source isn't exactly trustworthy. When it comes from Variety, TVWeek, the Wall Street Journal or one of the wires, then I'll believe it.

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,066 posts

Posted October 01 2009 - 12:56 AM

Nikki Finke discusses today:

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/half-a-dozen-media-giants-tire-kicking-ges-nbc-universal-no-deals-imminent-no-prices-yet/

trakt.tv

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,066 posts

Posted October 01 2009 - 02:29 AM

Financial times: http://bit.ly/iSdbU Ge is apparently serious about dropping nbc/u
trakt.tv

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,320 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted October 01 2009 - 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt View Post

I dunno, why did a site nobody's ever heard of get this exclusive? Who are the "knowledgeable individuals" cited? Or the "executives familiar with the meeting"? Or the "two individuals informed about the meeting"? A non-established cite that couldn't name a single source isn't exactly trustworthy. When it comes from Variety, TVWeek, the Wall Street Journal or one of the wires, then I'll believe it.
Ask and you shall receive (subscription required for the first one):

http://online.wsj.co...4720055575.html

http://latimesblogs....universal-.html

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,066 posts

Posted October 01 2009 - 05:21 AM

Nikki Finke and others are busting Waxman (who founded "The Wrap" apparently after leaving THR(?)) and the Huffington Post gives a blow-by-blow:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/30/comcast-in-talks-to-buy-n_n_305688.html

trakt.tv

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted October 01 2009 - 07:38 AM

If Comcast does buy out all of Vivendi Universal, I wonder what will happen to Shout Factory, since their DVD products are distributed by Vivendi?
 To all fans of Mr. Belvedere who haven't purchased season 4 yet, please watch this video.

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter

• 1,023 posts

Posted October 01 2009 - 08:31 AM

I doubt anything will happen, except the dropping of the Vivendi name.  Universal will still need a distribution arm for all its music and video releases. 
BARBARA WRIGHT: You're from Earth?
MORTON DILL: No... no, ma'am, I... I'm from Alabama.
Doctor Who: Flight Through Eternity

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted October 01 2009 - 09:15 AM

30 Rock could squeeze some great material from this, fingers crossed!
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,401 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 01 2009 - 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA 

Quote:

Ask and you shall receive (subscription required for the first one):

http://online.wsj.co...4720055575.html
http://latimesblogs....universal-.html
Those stories were published after my post. And there is a big difference between "a deal had already been completed at a purchase price of $35 billion" and negotiations over a possible stake in the future.

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,320 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted October 01 2009 - 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt View Post

Those stories were published after my post. And there is a big difference between "a deal had already been completed at a purchase price of $35 billion" and negotiations over a possible stake in the future.

Supposedly that website no one has ever heard of (including myself) is backtracking from its statement.

Even so, I think everyone knows what the best solution is: get rid of Jeff Zucker. It's much cheaper. The Peter Principle should be renamed in his "honor".

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,401 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 01 2009 - 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA 

Even so, I think everyone knows what the best solution is: get rid of Jeff Zucker. It's much cheaper. The Peter Principle should be renamed in his "honor".
Absolutely. It takes a unique talent to shred $20 billion, or 40 percent of NBC Uni's total value, in just over a year. If the rumors are true, part of me wonders whether Zucker has been working for Comcast from the very beginning. The cable co never would have been able to afford NBC Universal if Zucker hadn't run it into the ground.