What's new

NCIS: Los Angeles Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
As a fan of the "Legend" episodes from NCIS, I was anticipating the premiere of the NCIS spin-off. All-in-all a good pilot episode for the series. I really enjoy the team of Chris O'Donnell and LL Cool J, and the addition of Linda Hunt was a welcome surprise. I'm not sure if we'll see Clara "Mace" Macy again, but I didn't especially miss her.

Office of Special Projects: "Cool toys," to quote Agent McGee.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I want to like it and will probably give it some time, but I wasn't impressed by the pilot. It just seemed to be trying too hard. All the "wow, look at our cool tech" is boring and annoying to me. And really? That is their HQ? Hey, I know the tight, long-sleeve shirts and jeans are "cool," but not really practical for checking out the guys apartment. And LA? It makes no sense for NCIS. I'll have to work to make that leap.

It sounds like I hated it which is not quite right. O' Donnell and LL Cool J have a nice rapport and could be enjoyable to watch when they hit their groove.'

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by DavidJ

I want to like it and will probably give it some time, but I wasn't impressed by the pilot. It just seemed to be trying too hard. All the "wow, look at our cool tech" is boring and annoying to me. And really? That is their HQ? Hey, I know the tight, long-sleeve shirts and jeans are "cool," but not really practical for checking out the guys apartment. And LA? It makes no sense for NCIS. I'll have to work to make that leap.

It sounds like I hated it which is not quite right. O' Donnell and LL Cool J have a nice rapport and could be enjoyable to watch when they hit their groove.'
Did you happen to catch the NCIS ep that spun this series off ("Legend")? The basic rundown was that the OSP branch dealt mainly with undercover ops, and other such cases where either criminals could "smell a fed" from a mile away, or where blending in was the only way to gather solid intelligence. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there is actually a real NCIS field office in LA for the OSP.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
After they drove onto the narrow parking area of old deserted LA building (resembling ocean side PCH in Malibu), I got the impression that the building was deserted. Then after entry my first thought was where the other personnel parked their cars. You can't have 50-100 cars parked around a deserted building and not be noticed.

Sylvia*ST

Stunt Coordinator
I was very, very surprised not to see Don Bellisario's name on this show. I don't think I remember any time when the creator/exec producer of s show was not also credited on that show's spinoff. I missed his "voice" a lot--the show seemed unfocused without it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Sylvia*ST

I was very, very surprised not to see Don Bellisario's name on this show. I don't think I remember any time when the creator/exec producer of s show was not also credited on that show's spinoff. I missed his "voice" a lot--the show seemed unfocused without it.
I'm pretty sure he was listed in the opening credits. I remember seeing his name.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by Josh Dial

Did you happen to catch the NCIS ep that spun this series off ("Legend")? The basic rundown was that the OSP branch dealt mainly with undercover ops, and other such cases where either criminals could "smell a fed" from a mile away, or where blending in was the only way to gather solid intelligence. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there is actually a real NCIS field office in LA for the OSP.
Yes. Watched it again just before the premieres and I liked the concept that they portrayed for the spin-off better before they retooled it. My wife looked up some info on the real NCIS at one point and there wasn't anything about LA. Having it set in LA makes no sense to me from a story point of view (the economics of production is another matter). Why not NCIS: San Diego? SD gets no love.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I watched the second episode last night. As far as I'm concerned this program is totally mindless escapist fare. It's certainly not the worst thing I have seen this season and if you check your brain at the door, you may be reasonably entertained for 40 minutes. It is slickly produced and has an appealing "look". It has a cushy timeslot and one of the best lead-ins in all of TV. I can't imagine how NCIS: Los Angeles will be anything other than another huge hit for CBS.

Al_S

Second Unit
I watched a couple of the episodes and think it might not last. I really like NCIS and all the characters but this show really bored me.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I love NCIS, as I did JAG. For me NCIS:LA is so far merely OK. I could take it or leave it. Not appointment TV like NCIS. Also on the matter of the two male co-leads L.L. Cool J seems to have more oomph than acting chops.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I just watch it to see my car! Damn that Challenger looks great in Hi Def! :)

Otherwise, not much of a show. I think we, as viewers, are getting too used to the more gritty, realistic (?) feel for cop shows like "The Shield" or "The Wire" etc. This just felt like a gussied-up version of an old 80's cop show.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
It hasn't done anything for me. There were some interesting plots, but I'm just not into it. I can't stop seeing Edna Mode everytime Linda Hunt comes on.

Kennethlawson

Auditioning
Real Name
Kenneth Lawson
As huge fan of NCIS I was interested to see what they did with the LA office.
It works but not like the original. The only real standout is Hattie, She could have her own show .
Other then that Its OK, I watch it because its after NCIS, and because there's nothing Else on at the time.. Most Tuesdays...
I don't remember the char actors and their names like I do on NCIS, other then Hattie.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
Alright...

Finally finished Season 1 on the DVR...

Shane Brennan (creator and exec. producer) is no Donald Bellisario.

There are some good bits on the show, but the whole is not greater than the sum of its parts. The show probably needs a bit of retooling going into the second season...

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Jonny P

Alright...

Finally finished Season 1 on the DVR...

Shane Brennan (creator and exec. producer) is no Donald Bellisario.

There are some good bits on the show, but the whole is not greater than the sum of its parts. The show probably needs a bit of retooling going into the second season...

I have to disagree to a certain extent, both on Brennan's running of this show (and NCIS) and the whole is greater part. I think the cast on LA is really strong--Chris O'donnell and LL Cool J make a great team, and both characters are very interesting. the rest of the team rounds out nicely, and I like that the plots can be a little "out there." The entire arc with Dom was rivetting stuff

Honestly, I would prefer if LA handled all of Brennan's loosely-military stories and character-centric stuff, and the original NCIS stuck to the military problem-of-the-week. NCIS could use a few more stories like the first few seasons: on ships and carriers and inverstigating behind-the-scenes of the military.

I think Bellisario started focusing a little too much on non-military story arcs back with the La Grenouille storyline, and Brennan has simply carried on the tradition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks