Jump to content



Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

NCIS: Los Angeles Season 1


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Josh Dial

Josh Dial

    Screenwriter



  • 2,593 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 02 2000

Posted September 22 2009 - 04:00 PM

As a fan of the "Legend" episodes from NCIS, I was anticipating the premiere of the NCIS spin-off.  All-in-all a good pilot episode for the series.  I really enjoy the team of Chris O'Donnell and LL Cool J, and the addition of Linda Hunt was a welcome surprise.  I'm not sure if we'll see Clara "Mace" Macy again, but I didn't especially miss her.

Office of Special Projects: "Cool toys," to quote Agent McGee.


#2 of 17 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

    Screenwriter



  • 2,594 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 23 2001
  • Real Name:David

Posted September 22 2009 - 05:24 PM

 I want to like it and will probably give it some time, but I wasn't impressed by the pilot.  It just seemed to be trying too hard.  All the "wow, look at our cool tech" is boring and annoying to me.  And really? That is their HQ?  Hey, I know the tight, long-sleeve shirts and jeans are "cool," but not really practical for checking out the guys apartment.  And LA?  It makes no sense for NCIS.  I'll have to work to make that leap.

It sounds like I hated it which is not quite right.  O' Donnell and LL Cool J have a nice rapport and could be enjoyable to watch when they hit their groove.'


#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Josh Dial

Josh Dial

    Screenwriter



  • 2,593 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 02 2000

Posted September 22 2009 - 05:54 PM



Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJ 

 I want to like it and will probably give it some time, but I wasn't impressed by the pilot.  It just seemed to be trying too hard.  All the "wow, look at our cool tech" is boring and annoying to me.  And really? That is their HQ?  Hey, I know the tight, long-sleeve shirts and jeans are "cool," but not really practical for checking out the guys apartment.  And LA?  It makes no sense for NCIS.  I'll have to work to make that leap.

It sounds like I hated it which is not quite right.  O' Donnell and LL Cool J have a nice rapport and could be enjoyable to watch when they hit their groove.'
Did you happen to catch the NCIS ep that spun this series off ("Legend")?  The basic rundown was that the OSP branch dealt mainly with undercover ops, and other such cases where either criminals could "smell a fed" from a mile away, or where blending in was the only way to gather solid intelligence.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there is actually a real NCIS field office in LA for the OSP.


#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams

    Supporting Actor



  • 931 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 27 2000

Posted September 23 2009 - 09:47 AM

After they drove onto the narrow parking area of old deserted LA building (resembling ocean side PCH in Malibu), I got the impression that the building was deserted. Then after entry my first thought was where the other personnel parked their cars. You can't have 50-100 cars parked around a deserted building and not be noticed.

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Sylvia*ST

Sylvia*ST

    Stunt Coordinator



  • 93 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 17 2005

Posted September 24 2009 - 07:41 AM

I was very, very surprised not to see Don Bellisario's name on this show.  I don't think I remember any time when the creator/exec producer of s show was not also credited on that show's spinoff.  I missed his "voice" a lot--the show seemed unfocused without it. 


#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

    Executive Producer



  • 11,633 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 08 2002
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 24 2009 - 07:51 AM



Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia*ST 

I was very, very surprised not to see Don Bellisario's name on this show.  I don't think I remember any time when the creator/exec producer of s show was not also credited on that show's spinoff.  I missed his "voice" a lot--the show seemed unfocused without it. 
I'm pretty sure he was listed in the opening credits.  I remember seeing his name.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

    Screenwriter



  • 2,594 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 23 2001
  • Real Name:David

Posted September 24 2009 - 04:18 PM



Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Dial View Post




Did you happen to catch the NCIS ep that spun this series off ("Legend")?  The basic rundown was that the OSP branch dealt mainly with undercover ops, and other such cases where either criminals could "smell a fed" from a mile away, or where blending in was the only way to gather solid intelligence.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there is actually a real NCIS field office in LA for the OSP.
Yes.  Watched it again just before the premieres and I liked the concept that they portrayed for the spin-off better before they retooled it.  My wife looked up some info on the real NCIS at one point and there wasn't anything about LA.  Having it set in LA makes no sense to me from a story point of view (the economics of production is another matter).  Why not NCIS: San Diego?  SD gets no love.




#8 of 17 OFFLINE   pitchman

pitchman

    Screenwriter



  • 1,842 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 11 1998
  • Real Name:Gary
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted September 30 2009 - 02:18 AM

I watched the second episode last night. As far as I'm concerned this program is totally mindless escapist fare. It's certainly not the worst thing I have seen this season and if you check your brain at the door, you may be reasonably entertained for 40 minutes. It is slickly produced and has an appealing "look". It has a cushy timeslot and one of the best lead-ins in all of TV. I can't imagine how NCIS: Los Angeles will be anything other than another huge hit for CBS.
Gary

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   jsalexandra

jsalexandra

    Extra



  • 20 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 15 2009

Posted October 19 2009 - 09:16 PM

NCIS is a great show i have enjoyed both the NCIS and NCIS:LA shows


#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Al_S

Al_S

    Second Unit



  • 452 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 30 2000

Posted October 20 2009 - 03:33 AM

I watched a couple of the episodes and think it might not last.  I really like NCIS and all the characters but this show really bored me. 

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams

    Supporting Actor



  • 931 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 27 2000

Posted October 20 2009 - 10:33 AM

I love NCIS, as I did JAG. For me NCIS:LA is so far merely OK. I could take it or leave it. Not appointment TV like NCIS. Also on the matter of the two male co-leads L.L. Cool J seems to have more oomph than acting chops.

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray

    Supporting Actor



  • 852 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 20 1999

Posted October 20 2009 - 02:55 PM

 I just watch it to see my car!  Damn that Challenger looks great in Hi Def! :)


Otherwise, not much of a show.  I think we, as viewers, are getting too used to the more gritty, realistic (?) feel for cop shows like "The Shield" or "The Wire" etc.  This just felt like a gussied-up version of an old 80's cop show.
Scott A. McGillivray
Vancouver, B.C.

Struggling Actor and Movie Nut!
(Check out my profile on IMDB!)http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1425496/

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   pitchman

pitchman

    Screenwriter



  • 1,842 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 11 1998
  • Real Name:Gary
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted October 21 2009 - 10:14 PM



Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McGillivray View Post
This just felt like a gussied-up version of an old 80's cop show.
Yep. With some of the A-Team thrown in for good measure...
Gary

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison

    Screenwriter



  • 1,099 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 05 1999
  • Real Name:Randy

Posted October 22 2009 - 12:14 PM

It hasn't done anything for me.  There were some interesting plots, but I'm just not into it.  I can't stop seeing Edna Mode everytime Linda Hunt comes on.

 
Randy T.
Orlando, FL
ºoº Home of The Mouse!!!

"Oh, come on, guys. It's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings nowadays!"

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Kennethlawson

Kennethlawson

    Auditioning



  • 5 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 27 2007

Posted March 02 2010 - 10:55 AM

 As  huge fan of NCIS I was interested to see what they did with the LA office.
 It works but not like the original. The only real standout  is Hattie, She could have her own show .
 Other then that Its OK, I watch it because its after NCIS, and because there's nothing Else on at the time.. Most  Tuesdays...
 I don't remember the char actors and their names like I do on NCIS, other then Hattie.

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Jonny P

Jonny P

    Supporting Actor



  • 649 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 05 2002

Posted June 21 2010 - 04:37 PM

Alright...


Finally finished Season 1 on the DVR...


Shane Brennan (creator and exec. producer) is no Donald Bellisario.


There are some good bits on the show, but the whole is not greater than the sum of its parts. The show probably needs a bit of retooling going into the second season...



#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Josh Dial

Josh Dial

    Screenwriter



  • 2,593 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 02 2000

Posted June 22 2010 - 03:33 AM



Originally Posted by Jonny P 

Alright...


Finally finished Season 1 on the DVR...


Shane Brennan (creator and exec. producer) is no Donald Bellisario.


There are some good bits on the show, but the whole is not greater than the sum of its parts. The show probably needs a bit of retooling going into the second season...


I have to disagree to a certain extent, both on Brennan's running of this show (and NCIS) and the whole is greater part.  I think the cast on LA is really strong--Chris O'donnell and LL Cool J make a great team, and both characters are very interesting.  the rest of the team rounds out nicely, and I like that the plots can be a little "out there."  The entire arc with Dom was rivetting stuff


Honestly, I would prefer if LA handled all of Brennan's loosely-military stories and character-centric stuff, and the original NCIS stuck to the military problem-of-the-week.  NCIS could use a few more stories like the first few seasons: on ships and carriers and inverstigating behind-the-scenes of the military.


I think Bellisario started focusing a little too much on non-military story arcs back with the La Grenouille storyline, and Brennan has simply carried on the tradition.