What's new

Castle - season 2 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"Castle" beat the odds as a late-season replacement to return tonight at 10 p.m. EDT after "Dancing with the Stars" (quite a good lead-in for any show).

Castle continues to press on his own investigation of Beckett's mother's death, much to Beckett's ire.

Mary_P

Second Unit
I can't wait. Going home to fire up the DVR now....

BTW, anybody see the "Dr. Horrible" bit on the Emmys last night? Loved that Nathan (as Captain Hammer) referenced the kind of shiny glossy TV fare that audiences adore: "CSI: Miami." Which is, of course, his main competition tonight. Too funny.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, I didn't know this was new until I saw this thread so I missed the first fifteen minutes. What I saw was good, especially the end. Considering her name, I thought Stana Katic would have a better Russian accent. Nathan Fillion is excellent as always. His TV daughter grew up a lot over the summer; one of the few TV teenagers who is actually a teenager. Susan Sullivan was barely in this episode, and I didn't miss her. A sitcom role in a show that's growing past that; a shame too because she was fantastic in "Dharma & Greg".

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

His TV daughter grew up a lot over the summer
Definitely had the same thought, looked up her age on IMDB during a commercial break just because I was shocked at how much older she looked in this episode. (She's 16 going on 17- which based on how she looked last season I'd have guessed a few years younger than that.)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Of all the premieres I've watched so far this season, this was the best by a lot. Even though topical humor dates a show, the bit about Fame, A Christmas Carol and Asteroids: The Movie was great. And, Stana continues to be smokin'.

I don't mind Susan Sullivan. I think her character has grown right along with the show. I really like the family stuff. Castle's relationship with his daughter is one of the realest and sweetest on TV. And, I like how Beckett has adopted them even while she's unsure about her feelings for Castle.

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

Of all the premieres I've watched so far this season, this was the best by a lot. Even though topical humor dates a show, the bit about Fame, A Christmas Carol and Asteroids: The Movie was great. And, Stana continues to be smokin'.

I don't mind Susan Sullivan. I think her character has grown right along with the show. I really like the family stuff. Castle's relationship with his daughter is one of the realest and sweetest on TV. And, I like how Beckett has adopted them even while she's unsure about her feelings for Castle.
I have to agree on almost every point. This is one of those shows that really surprised me last year. As a fan of Nathan Fillion, I expected to like it, but it's just such a good show all-around. The tone is just perfect, and (I'd imagine) hard to pull off correctly. Castle (the character) is serious when he needs to be, but hits those comic notes just right. Some of the lines in this episode literally had me laughing out loud: the "Asteroids: The Movie" bit (with the little jab at Ryan Reynolds) and especially that scene when Castle pops into the shot while the coroner is examining the gloves ("would you like me to put on some music?? that's what they'd do on CSI"). :)

And I definitely agree on the relationship with the daughter. It might be a little idealized, but somehow just seems way more realistic than any other comedy or drama on the air right now.

btw, did anybody pick up the DVD release of season 1 (came out on Tuesday.) I haven't had time to go through it, but it looks like it has a decent set of extras (including some commentaries).

(and if it's possible Stana Katic is actually hotter this year --- definitely like the longer hairstyle).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The father-daughter relationship is the show's anchor. It's what distinguishes Castle from Fillion's other lighthearted prankster roles, and its our main window into the serious and deeply introspective man underneath the endless stream of one-liners. It's also one of the few relationships where both parent and child are allowed to be really smart. I think Molly Quinn does a great job, I just wish the character wasn't written quite so angelic.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Might be a little nerdy, but I loved the semi-lame grammar jokes, especially "I'm just saying, whoever killed her, also murdered the English language."

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Your not the only one. It was another good, fun episode. Beckett getting in on the betting--she's loosing up!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
One of the few episodes where I didn't figure out the muderer until the reveal, too. I thought the Perlmutter M.E. was the murderer and set up the second crime scene to throw the scent off killing the psychiatrist. The actually reveal was much more interesting. Interesting that Beckett brought up her mother's murder, when it was previously thema non grata.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I know the show covered it, but heck if I can remember the explanation. Castle's book is done. Why is Castle still allowed to shadow Det. Beckett? I get past it, but it's the one part of the show that pushes the credibility meter for me. Other than that, pure enjoyment.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco

I know the show covered it, but heck if I can remember the explanation. Castle's book is done. Why is Castle still allowed to shadow Det. Beckett? I get past it, but it's the one part of the show that pushes the credibility meter for me. Other than that, pure enjoyment.
He's writing a whole series of Nikki Heat novels, just like his Derek Storm novels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks